Best anti-nausea medications

Dubdude007

When it is really bad i have a prescription for phenergan. Makes me a little tired so i can rest and when i get up i feel better.

I usually take dramamine before i get sick with the hopes of not having to take the phenergan.

The reality is there is not a best. What works best for one person might not be so good for another.

We use Bonine. We take one rather than two tablets a day. We find that it works well by taking it proactively before you feel nauseous. For some it can make them drowsy but for us it does not. It is sold over the counter. Similar ingredients are also in Dramamine. There is also Sea Calm.

Some people use ginger in tablets.

Still others get a prescription for a patch.

And some use other remedies such as a sea band (manufacturer notes it only works for 50% of the people) or even having an apple and a few crackers.

Keith

The OP asked about "medications" which by definition means medicine or drugs. Sure, we could all get into the ginger, green apple, praying to the sea gods, etc. But since the question is about medications and it comes from the USA lets talk about medications :). So, the most common med, which is often sold or even given out free on ships, is a drug called Meclizine Hcl. This is sold over-the-counter in the US under a few different names including Bonine and Dramamine Non Drowsy (this is not the same as regular Dramamine). Meclizine is also available as a prescription drug under the brand name "Antivert" which is commonly prescribed for Vertigo, Menieres, and other inner ear disorders. It is generally the drug of choice by the cruise line's and their own physicians, What is nice about Meclizine is that most folks only need to take a single dose every 24 hours...and one can do this right before bed which helps mitigate a potential side-effect of making you feel a little drowsy.

Another drug, available in the USA by prescription only, is called Transderm Scop...or the so-called patch. You generally wear this patch behind your ear...and it will work for about 3 days. The active drug, Scopolomine is a powerful drug, has many potential side-effects, and is also very effective. Over forty plus years of cruising, DW and moi have tried all the usual drugs (and other remedies) and have settled on Bonine which we only use if the forecast is for really rough weather (DW and I do not normally get sea sick). We have both also tried the patches, and we both suffered from some of the side effects (DW was unable to read).

Another drug is the old fashioned Dramamine or Dimenhydrinate, which has lost much of its previous popularity because of Bonine, The problem with Dramamine is that it only works for a few hours and tends to make many folks quite sleepy.

There are some other prescription drugs (in the USA) which are generally not considered appropriate for the prevention of sea sickness. But they can be used by a ship physician to help folks who are very sea sick. Most of these drugs are given by shot (or even suppository)...such as Compazine or Phenergan.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Bonnie for us. Chew one tablet the night before the cruise and one nightly thereafter. Very well tolerated by us, with no drowsiness or dry mouth. If it wasn't for Bonnie I couldn't cruise, so I'm a fan. Good idea t check with doc or pharmisist if concerned about drug interactions. Good luck!

I am very prone to motion sickness, and refused to cruise until 3 years ago. A friend recommended Bonine, and it WORKED. No side effects either! Dramamine never worked for me like that! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The reality is there is not a best. What works best for one person might not be so good for another.

We use Bonine. We take one rather than two tablets a day. We find that it works well by taking it proactively before you feel nauseous. For some it can make them drowsy but for us it does not. It is sold over the counter. Similar ingredients are also in Dramamine. There is also Sea Calm.

Some people use ginger in tablets.

Still others get a prescription for a patch.

And some use other remedies such as a sea band (manufacturer notes it only works for 50% of the people) or even having an apple and a few crackers.

Keith

I think the best recommendation would be from a medical professional who is familiar with you and the other medications you take.:)

I agree that what works for you might not for me. If you're on prescription drugs, you should check with your doctor as a specific remedy might interfere with what you're taking. Some of the OTCs mentioned above make me drowsy. I use ginger, but that can be harmful to those on blood thinners.

Best thing: talk with your doctor. Try out various types of remedies before your cruise to make sure you don't get side effects. Take a few of the "winners" with you on your cruise to use in actual practice.

I agree with what LoriPhil said. I take a Bonine the night before the cruise and go to sleep. Then every night on the cruise, I take a Bonine before bed. It has kept me from getting sick on every cruise with the exception of a tiny cruise ship in the Greek Islands. Had no idea the ship would be so small and the water so rough. The other cruises, and I have been on many, have been great.

I agree about the cabin - I find fresh air makes a huge difference, so you may have to spring for a balcony cabin as you really need a window that opens.

I know the question was about medications, but I would second the vote for ginger.

Two reasons for that

One, one of my ex-boyfriends was an ocean sailor on big yachts around Australia. He suffered from seasickness (yes, I know, mad, why be a sailor?!). He had tried all the remedies and he found Blackmore's ginger tablets worked better than anything else.

Two, Mythbusters did a program on seasickness remedies and found that ginger tablets were more effective than some medications.

So, I'd be taking some ginger tablets plus a medication like Bonine as a backup.

Ginger is preventative, so start taking it the day before you leave and keep taking it daily.

Note that ginger ale, ginger sweets etc often contain little or no real ginger, so they won't work. You need real ginger, preferably in chewable tablets.

Edited by Marisawrite

Any recommendations?

If you're talking motion sickness, I was skeptical, but my wife and daughters have used wristbands with a thingie that presses on a pressure point that worked for them. Many folks have no issues but your pharmacist can offer you several choices.

Another vote for Bonine! I could not tolerate the side effects of Dramamine, unless I want to sleep ;) However, I recently saw that Dramamine makes a natural "ginger" tablet...must be new and I have no idea how or if it works.