First time cruiser - Carnival Fantasy going to Key West and Cozumel

anitabrad

I have a few questions....This is my first cruise and going with 6 other adults (including my adult children). Suggestions for "must does" in Cozumel or things/areas to avoid. Also parking options at port in Miami. Am researching parking facilities other than port, but a little nervous after reading reviews. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Please feel free to give any tips/suggestions to a very excited first time cruiser!!! All rooms are on the main deck - good/bad?? Thanks so much!!!:)

if you are drinkers, I highly recommend the Cozumel Bar Hop. They take you to the east side of the island and you have reliable transportation and hosts the entire time. They are an independent excursion that you can find on the internet. Have fun!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to the addictive world of cruising!

There is lots of information on both of your questions that can be found on the threads for Home Ports and the various cruise ports. At the very top of this page there is a "Search Cruise Critic" option. Just type in Cozumel and Miami (2 separate searches) and you will find all sorts of information!

Cozumel is a really fun place to go. The vendors along the main drag in San Miguel are pretty aggressive, wanting to offer you some "fantastic bargains"! Just don't respond and you can enjoy a day in town or take one of many excursions. But, you need to determine what type of activities you enjoy and then narrow your search.

I hope you have a great cruise! Just don't worry when you are packing to get off the ship and already trying to figure out when your next cruise is going to be! :D

Congratulations! I hope you have an amazing time! I have used in the past and plan to use again a parking lot called Premier Cruise Parking. It is your average offsite parking with shuttle service and we like that our car is kept in a garage. In Cozumel, you may enjoy a beach break like Nachi Cocum, Mr. Sanchos or Isla Passion.

You didn't mention what you like and many will argue the differences between these excursions but they are all more alike than different. I would suggest taking all look at all three. My personal favorite is Nachi because the food was better, pool and swim up bar was fun and the last time we went, we had massages and did a snorkeling boat trip.

Also, a note I always share with friends cruising for the first time is not to overplan. Have an amazing time!!

Go to the Ports of Call forum and choose "Caribbean" to get to the Cozumel forum. There will be a lot of info there on things to see and do and how to get there. (When we go to Cozumel, we take the taxi from the port to Paradise Beach and spend the day relaxing. But there are a lot of choices!

There is also a forum on the Ports of Call for Key West. I was there a few years ago (not on a cruise) and I most enjoyed touring Hemingway's house and Truman's Little White House. (Yes, I'm a literature and history geek!)

I'm a big fan of mr. Sanchos in cozumel. We have been elsewhere and always end up going back there. Service is great. You can do an all inclusive or pay as you go, depending upon your preferences. We've done both and enjoyed ourselves. The facilities are nice, water and beach are lovely. Certainly as others have suggested go over to the port of call boards and research the various options that would seem to work best for your group. Have a great time!

Welcome to cruising. I venture to guess this won't be your last cruise.

When are you going? We are going 7/25 on the same itinerary.

You're asking a very broad question. Tell us about ages and interests?

There's history tours, adventures like zip lining and wave runners, drinking with margaritas and tequila, beach time...

Fantasy was our first ship as well. Smaller, but we loved it. Key West is such a cool place - want to take a cruise that stops there but my wife is of the opinion why pay for a stop in the US, we can go to Key West anytime - but oddly we never do.

As for parking at Miami. As others have said, look at the Miami port forums and the threads there - to be honest, sounds scary! We're leaving out of Miami on the 2nd, and have (mostly) decided to park at the port. It'll be $140, vs $70 at a nearby lot, but the car is right there when we get off and no shuttles to deal with either. Make sure you factor in any shuttle prices. Some are free for two passengers, some for 4, etc.

Like others have said it truly depends on what you like to do.

We have only been to Key West one time but we did the Trolley Tour. We booked it on our own - check out Groupon or google it for some possible discounts. We loved it because it's Hop on, Hop off. They have several stops and you just get on and off at your leisure. We were able to see everything we wanted to see and didn't have to do a lot of walking. We aren't drinkers so instead of doing a bar crawl, I did a key lime pie crawl. It was fun and I had a lot of key lime pie that day.

As for Cozumel we have been there several times and have used a driver for the day (the same gentleman) several times and love him and the service he provides. He is a wonderful person and provides a wealth of information as he takes you around to whatever you wish to do. You plan your day and he drives. He can offer suggestions as well. We did a tour of the whole island - took us over to the "wild" side, took us to a Tequilia factory which was nice except we went early in the day and there was a little too much sampling going on for me that early in the morning! He has also taken us to a beautiful beach with facilities, food and snorkeling. One hour's worth of snorkeling was included in our price for the day and there was a gentleman there who went out with us and guided us along (we had kids with us that were a little nervous about snorkeling). He did it just for a tip and took some great pictures with my underwater camera. I just can't say enough about how great he is. If you are interested I can give you his information.

I do recommend that you visit the ports of call boards to get a wealth of information. Don't be afraid to book something on your own - just be wary of the time you are in port and check out their reviews and you should be find. Most people get their business from word of mouth so they are going to be sure and get you back to the ship on time because they want you to tell someone else about them.

We have never sailed out of Miami so I can't help you there.

Hope you have a wonderful first cruise! Oh, how I remember the excitement of my first one - I still get as giddy as a school girl when it gets time to cruise again!

We enjoy snorkeling in Cozumel and have used a couple different vendors. Best one was a sunset snorkel and catamaran that started at a little bar not far from either port. Several beach clubs where you can do walk-in snorkeling as well.

We've been to Key West and Cozumel several times but nothing was notable enough to recommend. I'm sure there are many exciting things to do; we just didn't do any. As to the Fantasy, we cruised her 6 times when she was stationed in Charleston. We always had a good time but were careful to avoid times when it was likely to have many children on board. The ship is small and this time of year there are likely to be lots of children. Since your group is all adults I would suggest you make a beeline for the Serenity deck each morning and get chairs with umbrellas if possible. It's on the back of the ship with great wake view, two hot tubs, and no children allowed.

if you are drinkers, I highly recommend the Cozumel Bar Hop. They take you to the east side of the island and you have reliable transportation and hosts the entire time. They are an independent excursion that you can find on the internet. Have fun!

HA! I was going to recommend the Key West Pub Crawl! SO much fun! One of the best excursions I've done. I've actually done this one twice. It's a walking tour through Key West down Duval Street and over toward the marina. It stops at 5-6 bars where you get one drink (included in the cost of the tour) that is kind of a specialty of that bar. Your guide tells you the history of Key West and you'll play some fun little games along the way (like a contest for blowing into a Conch Shell and others). Cost includes a t-shirt as well.

We did that same cruise about 18 months ago, but on Victory! We had a blast but the times we were in port were awkward. KW was 7-2 so we had to leave just after everything was starting to get going. And we were in Cozumel 3-10. It was winter so we didn't have much daylight at the beach. Still had a great time!

In KW you can just walk and visit bars. Or one time we did a jet ski tour. It was 26 miles around the entire island. That was awesome! We booked with an independent company. In Cozumel we went to Paradise Island Beach. Same idea as many of the other suggestions - huge pool, beach full of inflatables, nice bar, snorkeling, etc.

Just read a lot before you go :) Have fun!

I'm a FoHo (former hopper) as they called us on the Cozumel Bar Hop. Lots of fun.

If you shop in Cozumel go back a street off the main drag and you'll find it not so hawkish, nice pottery. On one trip saw 3 people reboard the ship with a brightly painted bathroom sink!

Mr. Sanchos is very nice also. I didn't like Nachi.

I'm a FoHo (former hopper) as they called us on the Cozumel Bar Hop. Lots of fun.

If you shop in Cozumel go back a street off the main drag and you'll find it not so hawkish, nice pottery. On one trip saw 3 people reboard the ship with a brightly painted bathroom sink!

Mr. Sanchos is very nice also. I didn't like Nachi.

I've always wondered if any cruisers ever bought one of those sinks!! I love those!

HA! I was going to recommend the Key West Pub Crawl! SO much fun! One of the best excursions I've done. I've actually done this one twice. It's a walking tour through Key West down Duval Street and over toward the marina. It stops at 5-6 bars where you get one drink (included in the cost of the tour) that is kind of a specialty of that bar. Your guide tells you the history of Key West and you'll play some fun little games along the way (like a contest for blowing into a Conch Shell and others). Cost includes a t-shirt as well.

that sounds like fun and since we live in Orlando, doable without a cruise. My wife is a native Orlandoan but has never been to Key West - I am a native Floridian but I grew up mostly in Texas (although I did live for a year in Florence, KY when i was in first grade and some of second grade. That was in the late 60s though so I don't remember much).

We almost picked a cruise that stopped in Key West for our anniversary next month but our son and DIL talked us into going for a longer cruise. We still wanna go to KW though so I'm keeping this pub crawl in the back of my vacation brain for some future date.

I have a few questions....This is my first cruise and going with 6 other adults (including my adult children). Suggestions for "must does" in Cozumel or things/areas to avoid. Also parking options at port in Miami. Am researching parking facilities other than port, but a little nervous after reading reviews. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Please feel free to give any tips/suggestions to a very excited first time cruiser!!! All rooms are on the main deck - good/bad?? Thanks so much!!!:)

What hours in Key West? Hours in Cozumel? This might be a clue for hints.

Having cruised to Key West in past, we happened to be end of Fantasy Fest - October. Now that is a whole new "sight seeing" considering costumes are body paint. Loved the street fair and parade that time of year.

For a different month, We really like Hemingway house tour. We hustled over to get first tour of am - less wait, and the home is not air conditioned. We love cats and these are special 6-toes ones "descendants" of Hemingways supposedly. Even without liking cats, the tour is very interesting and learned a lot about Hemingway. I bought takers online a head of time.

Plenty of time after to explore its small but neat gift shop,watch cats & hope the have kittens on view. Amazing how their paw can really grasp having extra toe.

Some feed themselves with their paws.

Cozumel we have done Paradise also - back 5 years or so was a $15-20 cab ride no matter # of people. Depends on where ship docks, We then shopped afterwards. Years ago the entry fee of $10 (now $18) was credit for food.No longer it is just fo use of toys,kayaks etc. If not entry is $3 & guests really encouraged spend $10 each. The club Quesadilla is amazing.

On a quitter fall trip we took a taxi to main shop area, and walked all the way just past a fancy marble store called Forum if I recall. Just past it was a local tiny food store with cheaper vanilla,liquor etc than souvenir stops. The Forum shop has two levels- and a/c on top of it! The jewelry is in front, and upstairs a few shops but a really nice set of a/ restrooms, there also was a small pharmacy if needed. We walked back toward ship and ate at Palmeras. It is right across from ferry dock. Awesome guacamole they make from avocado trees growing in restaurant. Super casual, maybe not 100% authentic Mexico, but suits us fine as a tourist. Don't miss their dessert Flan.

From here we walked and usually take a taxi, but a horse and carriage was right there and cheap. Romantic in theory...however those don't come with shock absorbers back there. Novelty wore off pretty quick. Won't repeat a horse n'carriage again unless looks like Princess Catherine's in Britain.

Shopping- unique items- we have found two different items- one is in the square more behind Palmas- a small kiosk cart a woman crochets littl purses,bags etc using crochet and soda can pop rings. Creates like a cool metal mesh. The other is bags/totes/purses made using recycled and folded candy wrappers. Quality varies so look around. The los cinco soles is a total last minute I am getting on ship better buy something for so & so tourist trap. Nice stuff, but likely mostly China made.