Best private tour in St. Petersburg, Russia

ALW2

Hi! We are interested in booking a private tour in St. Petersburg, Russia. Had anyone used a specific tour company to book a private tour? What are the must see attractions (we will have two older teenagers with us)? We do not want a tour that is too long as we like to walk around on our own a lot. Thanks!

We did Alla Tours a few years ago. Fantastic 2 days. Picked us up at ship each morning, small van with English speaking tour guide, lunches included. All arrangements done by email. We paid in US $ the morning of the second day. We did not need a Russian visa as we were on this tour. If you want to go walking on your own you will need a visa. Great tour.

We've used Alla Tours twice. Both great experiences. In St Petersburg both RCI and private tour operators take care of the visa for the tour. You have to stay with the tour and cannot walk around on your own.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thank you! If we do not book a tour and get a visa on our own, can we walk on our own around town?

Edited by ALW2

Thank you! If we do not book a tour and get a visa on our own, can we walk on our own around town?

We've used TJ Travel twice and have been very pleased. They will customize your day if you wish. They are very personable.

You can walk around on your own if you apply for your own visa which is costly and time consuming from what I hear.

If you can read cyrillic then you will be fine, but you have to get from the port to the center of the city - there may be language problems with transportation. St Petersburg is a huge city, so unless you are just planning on staying around the Winter Palace area be aware that you will have to be very good at navigation for this to work well - the city is planned around the canals. Personally, I would do a private tour if this is your first visit. The private companies will customize a tour for you - I have used Denrus and was very pleased.

Edited by mek

Hi! We are interested in booking a private tour in St. Petersburg, Russia. Had anyone used a specific tour company to book a private tour? What are the must see attractions (we will have two older teenagers with us)? We do not want a tour that is too long as we like to walk around on our own a lot. Thanks!

You might also want to check out the Ports of Call forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

I think you could but don't know if it would be worth it. There are strict regulations for the 72 hour Visa for visitors and you have to be accompanied by a licensed tour guide.

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/russian-visa/for-cruise-ship-passengers/

http://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/visa-requirements-for-cruise-port-in-st-petersbergrussia.cfm

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

When you all used TJ Tours, Alla Tours or Denrus - did you tour alone or with a group? We really want to just tour on our own if possible but the cost seems very high. All of the set tours I have seen are 10 - 11 hour tours. I think we would prefer 5-6 hours tops per day. How many hours were the tours you went on? Thank you so much for your help. We are planning a last minute baltic cruise and I do not have that much planning time:eek:! Thank you!!!!

Edited by ALW2

When you all used TJ Tours, Alla Tours or Denrus - did you tour alone or with a group? We really want to just tour on our own if possible but the cost seems very high. All of the set tours I have seen are 10 - 11 hour tours. I think we would prefer 5-6 hours tops per day. How many hours were the tours you went on? Thank you so much for your help. We are planning a last minute baltic cruise and I do not have that much planning time:eek:! Thank you!!!!

We toured with Alla Tours in 2008 and 2014. We were a group of 12 that was formed with others from our Roll Call. We had 2 full days of touring but saw and did more than we could have imagined. Below is a link to Alla Tours website where you can see what they offer in group tours. You can also contact them to see if they can customize something for your family. St Petersburg isn't easy to do on your own and there's so much to see and do. The tour operators know the best ways to get somewhere, how to communicate and will give you an amazing experience.

Alla Tours also offers package tour options for the Baltic ports. This might be a good option for your family......especially if you're sailing soon.

Good Luck!

http://www.alla-tour.com/

My husband and I joined a family of four that we met through the roll call, so only six of us on the tour. It worked out well for us.

Our tour on the first day started early - probably about 8 am and we were back in time for a ships' tour in the evening. The second day was early again and we were back by 4 pm. Have you checked to see if the ship offers shorter tours? One of the biggest advantages to private tours is that we bypassed all of the long admission lines,(that included the ship tours.) We saw more and no waiting in line for anything.

Edited by mek

We used Best Guide tour for 2 days and had a great time. They are very accommodating and were able to make changes on the fly. You can have private tours with them and they will customized it four you. If you apply for 72 hours visa - then wherever you go you need to be accompany by tour guide. You can apply for tourist visa but I heard that it's complicated and time consuming process. Whatever you decide - enjoy SPB.

Irina

I am starting to come to terms with taking a long tour in St. Petersburg but really do not think an 8:00 am start is realistic for my late night family. I haven't found any tour companies that advertise anything later than an 8:00 start. Any ideas?

I am starting to come to terms with taking a long tour in St. Petersburg but really do not think an 8:00 am start is realistic for my late night family. I haven't found any tour companies that advertise anything later than an 8:00 start. Any ideas?

Just my idea......But.... are you planning on being in St. Petersburg regularly? If not I suggest you get up and out of bed for this once, maybe few in a lifetime experience.:eek: Sleep in on another day!

We used Best Guide tour for 2 days and had a great time. They are very accommodating and were able to make changes on the fly. You can have private tours with them and they will customized it four you. If you apply for 72 hours visa - then wherever you go you need to be accompany by tour guide. You can apply for tourist visa but I heard that it's complicated and time consuming process. Whatever you decide - enjoy SPB.

Irina

we used SPb and really liked it. We had a 3 day tour. :cool:

Alla was fantastic with communications/questions via email in our experience. If their FAQ page doesn't answer it, perhaps emailing them with your specific q's/concerns may be your only option. They usually got back to us within 24 hours.

Edited by Brigbound

We did a private tour with TJ Travel (just DH, myself a guide and driver)...they were so flexible...we changed up things at a moments notice it was our private tour, they planned and suggested the main points of interest and we added some extra things that we wanted to do....Amazing trip of a life time with VIP service !!! I emailed many of the major tour companies... not only was Tatyana the first to respond but there was an immediate connection with her...By the time we arrived I felt like a good friend had been planning our trip...I couldn't have been more impressed....Thanks Tatyana and Julia !!

We did ship's tours in 2012; most of our Roll Call and tablemates did Alla, a couple SBP. They were very happy. We were not unhappy, but I do believe they saw more. Getting a visa to roam on your own is all but impossible. The system is really designed for you to have a physical address, such as a hotel, in Russia that "sponsors" you.

You want to be off the ship at 8:00. That gets you into the Hermitage before the crowds. That gets you into the Winter Palace before the crowds. I doubt very seriously I'll every return to St. Petersburg in my life. Go to bed early two nights and get going early.

We did a private tour with TJ Travel (just DH, myself a guide and driver)...they were so flexible...we changed up things at a moments notice it was our private tour, they planned and suggested the main points of interest and we added some extra things that we wanted to do....Amazing trip of a life time with VIP service !!! I emailed many of the major tour companies... not only was Tatyana the first to respond but there was an immediate connection with her...By the time we arrived I felt like a good friend had been planning our trip...I couldn't have been more impressed....Thanks Tatyana and Julia !!

Like ^^^^ We had the same experience twice. Tatyana was fantastic. Our first time was the canned tour from the web site which was great. The second was customized to see what we couldn't on the first go around. We went back and forth with different ideas until we settled on what we were doing.

We used SPB Tours (google search) for a two-day tour which, IMHO, is the only way to go. Otherwise, you're sitting on the ship. Unless you have pre-arranged your own visa, can speak Russian, or know someone in St. Petersburg to take you around, it's not a DIY port. Some of the 'must-see' places are a distance apart so you need the organized transportation to take you door to door. The company was excellent. We corresponded by email and they emailed our included visas (covered under their company) to print off and bring with us.

In 2010, we did 'Itinerary C (active) tour' with extras. Day 1 was 7am-6pm, Day 2 was 8am-5pm. They even took us on a subway ride during morning rush hour! Totally fascinating how deep the subway is underground. Wake-y, wake-y, lol. I think we were a group of 14 and they put the group together. I know we saved over $100 pp with the private tour. Of course, a private group for four people would be more expensive than the ship. The advantage was a relatively small group, not on a large bus, and we did beat the ship's tours to the major attractions.

I see that they currently have a '2-day Highlights Tour' that's a little shorter, Day 1 is 8am-5pm, Day 2 is 9am-4pm. They also have 1-day tours but, as mentioned, you'd be ship-bound the second day and miss many of the must-sees.

I understand about the teenagers - had a couple myself. My motto is 'I can sleep at home for free'. I see a cruise as a 'tour' that's different than a 'vacation'. It was cold and rainy one day so wear layers! Whatever you decide to do, have fun!!!

Edited by Adventures ahead

Just my idea......But.... are you planning on being in St. Petersburg regularly? If not I suggest you get up and out of bed for this once, maybe few in a lifetime experience.:eek: Sleep in on another day!

Its not me....TEENAGERS!:roll eyes: I am just being realistic. We are really laid back travelers. But, if that is all that is available then we will have to make it work.

Its not me....TEENAGERS!:roll eyes: I am just being realistic. We are really laid back travelers. But, if that is all that is available then we will have to make it work.

Has your family cruised before?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We used SPB Tours and they were fabulous. Again, if you book with them you will not need a visa BUT you must stay with the group. We had 19 hours of touring in two days and felt our experience gave us a very good view of St. Petersburg and the surrounding areas. I don't think there was anything left to see! Lunches were provided as part of the package. The guide's English was excellent.

Again, if you do not book a tour, you must get a visa which can be expensive. Without it, you can only stay on the dock.

Have a great trip!

Caren

Alla by far is the best. Walking around is not an option. Individual visas are $300 to $500 each. Private tour companies take care of those visas as part of their fees. Russia is totally different than any ports . Alla is the only tour company that does not charge in advance. Alla will personally meet you the second day to see if you are satisfied. Our van held 14 and we saw everything. If you do not want all day tours I would suggest ship tours there. You will pay huge prices in the ship and see one or two items in a 3 to 4 hour period. Then the teens can come back to the ship and watch tv. Sad to miss out on one of the most beautiful cities on earth.