Pre-made Sandwiches in Lido

EDLOS

I had one of the pre-made sandwiches on Maasdam a couple of days ago. It had brie, caramelized pears, and balsamic vinegar. I thought I had died and gone to heaven! Today I had a good one also: it was on a multi grain and multi-seeded roll, and contained fresh beets, arugula, tomatoes, cream cheese, garlic aoili, balsamic vinegar, and some other magical ingredients. I don't usually eat sandwiches on cruises, but was very glad I selected these sandwiches that I would never get at home.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I had one of the pre-made sandwiches on Maasdam a couple of days ago. It had brie, caramelized pears, and balsamic vinegar. I thought I had died and gone to heaven! Today I had a good one also: it was on a multi grain and multi-seeded roll, and contained fresh beets, arugula, tomatoes, cream cheese, garlic aoili, balsamic vinegar, and some other magical ingredients. I don't usually eat sandwiches on cruises, but was very glad I selected these sandwiches that I would never get at home.

On the Noordam I had a bite of a sandwich my DW had. It was a pita sandwich with beets. It was quite good I got one for myself. As I love eating beets, I can see why, but it never occurred to me to add one to a sandwich.

That was our experience on the Maasdam last September. They had both the pre-made and custom-made, but we tried the pre-made and found them to be delicious. My favourite was a Niçoise Baguette with Tuna Salad, Anchovies, Frisée, Endives, Green Beans, Red Onion, Tomatoes and Boiled Egg, but we ate several others equally tasty. Yours sounds very yummy. I'll have to look for it on the Koningsdam in November! :)

On the Noordam I had a bite of a sandwich my DW had. It was a pita sandwich with beets. It was quite good I got one for myself. As I love eating beets, I can see why, but it never occurred to me to add one to a sandwich.

I like beets, but adding them to a sandwich does sound a little weird to me. Sounds like it was a vegetarian sandwich, from another poster's description. Could be interesting...

YIkes, glad I don't bother with sandwiches at lunch. Those "exotic" combinations don't appeal to me at all. Anyone remember the kids' poem "I'd never eat a beet"? (Shel Silverstein, IIRC)

Just keep the fresh salad ingredients, HAL, and I'll be happy. And, believe it or not, DH loved the pizza at the buffet on Oosterdam last winter. I know everyone complains about it, but that was his go-to lunch.

Just off the Veendam last Saturday and got home yesterday after spending a few days in Boston. Of course I was at the supermarket this morning and stopped by the sandwich station to pick up a wrap for DH's lunch. There, they have a large variety of pre-made subs, wraps and sandwiches for people who like them prepared that way or are in a hurry. You could also have the person behind the counter prepare a sandwich for you any way you want - no extra charge. They also had small bags of chips strategically displayed near the counter.

It occurred to me that a compromise is in order. Keep a smaller selection (maybe 3 instead of 5) of pre-made sandwiches with more exotic/interesting ingredients for the more adventurous among us, and still have a sandwich maker there for those who want one of the standards - made exactly as they want it.

And yes, definitely bring back the potato chips.

I like beets, but adding them to a sandwich does sound a little weird to me. Sounds like it was a vegetarian sandwich, from another poster's description. Could be interesting...

Beets are very common on sandwiches in Australia -- all kinds of sandwiches.

I can't eat them, so I don't really have prepared sandwiches here, and I guess if they're putting them on sandwiches in the Lido, I'll have to skip those as well. I'm not fond of sandwiches so it's not that big a sacrifice for me.

Beets are very common on sandwiches in Australia -- all kinds of sandwiches.

I can't eat them, so I don't really have prepared sandwiches here, and I guess if they're putting them on sandwiches in the Lido, I'll have to skip those as well. I'm not fond of sandwiches so it's not that big a sacrifice for me.

I think it is just the one sandwich that has beets. Most of them I've seen descriptions of do not have beets, so you should be able to eat those if you like.

While I favor custon made sandwiches, I am encouraged by the recent posts about the ingredients of the pre-made sandwiches. I really had not paid much attention to the combinations offered. But, some that have been mentioned are interesting to me. If available, I will have to try them while I am on the Rotterdam.

YIkes, glad I don't bother with sandwiches at lunch. Those "exotic" combinations don't appeal to me at all. Anyone remember the kids' poem "I'd never eat a beet"? (Shel Silverstein, IIRC)

Just keep the fresh salad ingredients, HAL, and I'll be happy. And, believe it or not, DH loved the pizza at the buffet on Oosterdam last winter. I know everyone complains about it, but that was his go-to lunch.

I too found the pizza quite appealing on that ship at that time.

Just off the Veendam last Saturday and got home yesterday after spending a few days in Boston. Of course I was at the supermarket this morning and stopped by the sandwich station to pick up a wrap for DH's lunch. There, they have a large variety of pre-made subs, wraps and sandwiches for people who like them prepared that way or are in a hurry. You could also have the person behind the counter prepare a sandwich for you any way you want - no extra charge. They also had small bags of chips strategically displayed near the counter.

It occurred to me that a compromise is in order. Keep a smaller selection (maybe 3 instead of 5) of pre-made sandwiches with more exotic/interesting ingredients for the more adventurous among us, and still have a sandwich maker there for those who want one of the standards - made exactly as they want it.

And yes, definitely bring back the potato chips.

I just got off the Westerdam and there were both pre-made and custom sandwiches. I very rarely saw anyone having a sandwich made. The chips were there everyday too. What I really liked were the custom salads. I think I had one almost every day.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk