Taking food on the ship

You mean other than just being shown there was a rule against it?

I was thinking the same thing. Cheng specifically says there's a regulation not allowing it but some don't feel they have to follow the rules. It's amazing.

I was thinking the same thing. Cheng specifically says there's a regulation not allowing it but some don't feel they have to follow the rules. It's amazing.

It's what I like to say, the exception does not disprove the rule. Just because you get away with it does not mean the rule doesn't exist.

We had to stand in a huge line with no shelter from the sun on their pier in Cozumel because, despite the warnings over the PA not to take fruit off the ship, plus the notice in the Cruise Compass and signs on exiting the ship, the Mexican authorities were catching dozens of people with fruit in their bags.

If I bring on (for example) a package of cheese for my own personal consumption in my own personal cabin, that is NOT equivalent to taking a banana off the ship in Cozumel. I am endangering no one and nothing.

The blanket rules exist for the "real" problems. I would never put myself or anyone else in danger from my actions.

If I bring on (for example) a package of cheese for my own personal consumption in my own personal cabin, that is NOT equivalent to taking a banana off the ship in Cozumel. I am endangering no one and nothing.

The blanket rules exist for the "real" problems. I would never put myself or anyone else in danger from my actions.

That wasn't what was being suggested. Everyone has said prepackaged foods are allowed. The issue is homemade or non-packaged foods. Those that say they bring those items on-board again are just breaking the rules because they feel they have a justified reason for doing so. Like saying eating my own baked cookies in my own room doesn't hurt anyone. Doesn't mean they aren't breaking a rule or could get caught in future cruises and told to throw it away. Nor does it mean others should be told it's just fine to do. Last cruise I went on had big trash cans full of food taken out of carry on bags during screening. I didn't care enough to see what they were throwing away though.

yes, she is done and we are very hopeful she won't need more. she is on some kind of maintenance drug now. But I think she just wants to be safe.

her oncologist did say the cruise was permitted.

We don't want to break any rules, just trying to accommodate her.

yes, she is done and we are very hopeful she won't need more. she is on some kind of maintenance drug now. But I think she just wants to be safe... her oncologist did say the cruise was permitted... We don't want to break any rules, just trying to accommodate her.

Well, this is all good news. I hope you will all enjoy the cruise - I know after my chemo, I was not really in the best shape to take a cruise right away but perhaps with her loving family around, it will be just the medicine she needs. :)

She will be tired. She may not feel like eating specific things. Her brain and memory will be fuzzy (it's very real and it's called "chemo brain". Sucks! :p). If she doesn't feel like going into port one day, the ship will be nice and quiet for her to stay on board for some rest and relaxation.

Blessings.

Well, the "blanket" rules exist because if they allow you to bring food onboard that you swear on the Bible that is for personal consumption only, then the next person may not be as conscientious as you, and there is no way of knowing that you won't serve your food to others. I always catch grief whenever I state this, but it is the USPH that sets the rules not me, and if anyone knows a thing or two about infectious diseases and their transmission vectors, its the USPH/CDC.

yes, she is done and we are very hopeful she won't need more. she is on some kind of maintenance drug now. But I think she just wants to be safe.

her oncologist did say the cruise was permitted.

We don't want to break any rules, just trying to accommodate her.

Just use reason, and you'll be fine. If she feels better about bringing something made at home onboard, fine, but let her know it might not make it. As someone stated, using a napkin for holding utensils in the buffet is a good idea, as is using a paper napkin around the edge of the glass when using a drink dispenser where the glass depresses the lever. Glad she is going to be better.

I'll tack on a couple of remarks about the good folks at USPH/CDC. The reason you shouldn't (allowing that many do) bring food onboard is the same reason the ship cannot go to the local fish market on the islands and get fish for a lot less than Sysco charges, the source isn't verifiable. You also can't go fishing and have them cook your catch for you onboard. (Yes, Princess does it, but only through their excursion providers so that they can verify the source and handling. As a protein, just like the cheese in your example, this is a "potentially hazardous food", and there must be a record of its being kept within temperature control at all times, which the cheese in your carry-on isn't.

Also, even if you alone eat your cheese, if you get sick from it, while that endangers no one, you may spread it around the ship, which does. The USPH and the ship don't want this, so they require verifiable food sources.

I am a bit surprised this has not been an issue for you.

I might have been accidentally misleading earlier. I usually make my son's favorite homemade cookies, which we bring onboard since he can't eat most of their desserts. We have also brought boxes of his favorite cereals, chips , etc. Not all factory sealed- we have not brought perishable foods. We weren't deliberately breaking any rules and obviously would not have done so if we thought it was t allowed.

To the OP... One year, we had a fabulous Head Waiter who arranged for a fruit basket to be in our cabin at all times. He was worried that my son would have a hard time finding safe foods to snack on. I wonder if your DIL would be able to have something similar so that she would not have to worry about having to find fruit not from the buffet. They would also bring us fruit straight from the kitchen at each meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by mommyloves2cruise

• 3 weeks later...
You mean other than just being shown there was a rule against it?

No, the rule shown on the previous page says you can bring non-perishables such as cookies, crackers, energy bars. It doesn't say these things must be factory-made. Homemade chocolate chip cookies don't require refrigeration.

Plus, if I have homemade Lara balls in a little Tupperware container in my own cabin (something I do make on a regular basis), no one's going to know it.