With the UBP offered, Why would anyone choose a different cruise line????

takeadip

Hi Fellow Critics,

Aside from the obvious reason of "we don't drink... or we don't find value in the Ultimate Drink Package" why on earth would anyone who is familiar with the NCL product choose a competing cruise line??

We were long time Princess Loyalists (Platinum)...until our son came along and now we are always looking for kid friendly or more "activity " based cruises.

We tried pricing Princess against NCL for our next cruise. The Fares are similar and there will definitely be more "room" at and in the pools on Princess but it seems like Princess does not like to throw in the drinking package. So even if the DW and I have 2 wines each or maybe 2 wines and 1 frozen concoction per day that will increase our bill about $70 dollars a day with tip (Times 7) days is about $500 dollars additional!!!

Also Princess does not sail from NYC like NCL does...which saves us a ton of Mullah and the headache and uncertainty of Plane Travel.

I guess im asking...when do you think all cruiselines will just include some form of a drinking package to all of their guests???

i think once someone is accustomed to getting some perk for free its real hard for the cruise line to " reverse" the passengers thought pattern.

Best,

Mark

We were on Celebrity last year and had their beverage package which included water, specialty coffee, soda (in cans) and gratuities were included.

The cocktail limits were lower ($9, I think) but we always found plenty to drink.;)

Princess has a drink package once in a while. Sip and Sail ??? or something like that. They have one coming out for their sailings in 2017 and there is no additional charge attached to them. People on the Princess board who were already booked for 2017 and added the beverage package paid an additional ..... $0

Edited by mafig

The UBP was the deciding factor for our next cruise. It was between Carnival Magic & NCL Getaway. Same itinerary, both new ships. I was just on Carnival Breeze a sister ship of the Magic and absolutely loved it. Really wanted to go with Magic based on that but couldn't justify the extra cost. The UBP, SPD, and kids sale free offer made NCL a no brainer this time. I was able to book a minisuite guarantee for our family of 3 for $2500.00.

You honestly don't think the ubp is free do you?

Are you kidding me janpo. I believe just about everyone here on CC realizes its not "free" its not "free" on any cruiseline! you either pay more for all inclusive or pay the DSC one way or the other.. Why start ? :mad: :rolleyes:

Are you kidding me janpo. I believe just about everyone here on CC realizes its not "free" its not "free" on any cruiseline! you either pay more for all inclusive or pay the DSC one way or the other.. Why start ? :mad: :rolleyes:

Why start what????

How do you know the op knows it isn't free. Their post says why on earth would anyone choose a different cruiseline when ubp is included.

So no, I'm not kidding you. Are you kidding me????:rolleyes:

Edited by janpo

Heh! Although I really like NCL, the UBP isn't worth it to me because I drink very little alcohol. The adult soda package, on the other hand, is right up my alley! ;-D

I can see how even with the gratuity, the UBP would be more than worth the money for anyone who enjoys drinking on a cruise.

Well the people who had already booked their cruise on Princess for 2017 and added the just announced beverage package ... they did not pay anything more, so for them it was free.

I guess you are not aware of the present Princess Sip N Sail promotion including the BVP ( includes gratuities)

I sailed with NCL in Dec 2014 with the free UBP and felt I was over drinking just to justify the perk.

Now on a future NCL cruise I need to pay $124 pp for the 10 day gratuities including those drinks.

I will not be drinking more than one drink per meal since my recent type 2 Diabetes diagnosis. So for 10 days a glass of wine with my meal will probably pay for the $124 in gratuities I need to pay. So I won't cancel it since my husband will drink more as he has no health concerns.

I sailed Princess only once in 2012 to Alaska so it will be nice to go back and compare to NCL. No kids to plan for so that is not a consideration. Just us.

I understand what the OP is getting at and I agree. We booked a 2017 Transatlantic (13 nights)from Orlando to Barcelona in January on the Epic. We are in an aft balcony cabin, which is our favorite.

Because we booked so far ahead we received the UBP and 6 Specialty dinners for 2. The cost to us was the gratuities on the packages which came to $399. For 13 nights that comes out to $30.69 a day for 2 people. The entire price with the Promo's was $2499 total for 2.

With many days at sea this is more than a bargain.

Lynda

Hi Fellow Critics,

Aside from the obvious reason of "we don't drink... or we don't find value in the Ultimate Drink Package" why on earth would anyone who is familiar with the NCL product choose a competing cruise line??

I think you answered your own question. My family are not big drinkers, so the UBP wouldn't affect our decision. I am guessing there are plenty of other people like us who choose NCL for the ships, the restaurants, the freestyle, and a whole host of other reasons besides the UBP.

I'll be able to answer that question (one way or another) in a couple of weeks...I'm leaving on my first ever NCL cruise on July 4.

As you can see from my sig line, I'm a pretty committed Carnival cruiser. My sister, friend and I went with NCL this time entirely based on itinerary (Baltics). I'm going in with a very open mind and hoping to be wowed. That said, from where I stand at this moment...

1-I didn't get the free UBP even offered on this trip. It wasn't an option for us, not sure if it was because 1-Europe, or 2-3 Adults in 1 room. We have the internet package.

2-However, that wasn't a deal breaker for me. I've never purchased Carnival's unlimited drink package because my 2 or maybe 3 drinks a day didn't make it pay.

3-Research, however, has told me that NCL's base drink prices (without the UBP) are much higher than Carnival's, so I would probably look for the free UBP if I were to sail NCL again because I will definitely drink more than the cost of the gratuity charge.

So ask me again in 3 weeks as to whether or not the UBP is a deal maker. :-)

I understand what the OP is getting at and I agree. We booked a 2017 Transatlantic (13 nights)from Orlando to Barcelona in January on the Epic. We are in an aft balcony cabin, which is our favorite.

Because we booked so far ahead we received the UBP and 6 Specialty dinners for 2. The cost to us was the gratuities on the packages which came to $399. For 13 nights that comes out to $30.69 a day for 2 people. The entire price with the Promo's was $2499 total for 2.

With many days at sea this is more than a bargain.

Lynda

Wow! That is an excellent price for 13 nights & UBP and all those dinners! Like you noted, $30 per day is a great deal for what you are getting. We love being able to try drinks we wouldn't have otherwise....and if you don't like it, try another :D

If drinking is the primary (perhaps sole?) reason for cruising, OP asks a good question. When other aspects are considered, there are plenty of reasons to choose other lines -- including, by the way in some cases, comparable all-in costs.

We rarely drink but on a cruise we love having the UBP for our sodas, some frozen 'boat drinks' and trying a new mojito or martini or two. So the UBP makes that fun for us. We also choose NCL for the great entertainment and the more casual type of cruise without assigned dinner times. Although we enjoyed our cruises on other lines we are now mainly cruising with NCL.

You really just have to be comparing comparable cruises.

I had an oceanview for 4 people leaving out of NY on the Anthem of the Seas, 4 people was going to cost me $4500. However this was a 9 day cruise and it was the Anthem. Drink packages were on sale at $39 a day, but that price still needs to be added.

Now compare a week later on NCL I can do 4 in a mini-suite, with a drink package for the first 2 for $3500. Now this is now only a 7 day cruise, but I don't think the extra cost of the Anthem to justify just the 2 extra days.

Though you still get possibly better prices depending on where you wish to sail from, etc. Also too the older ships seem to get better prices. In the end you just have to weigh the costs of the entire trip and not just the cruise alone.

I guess you are not aware of the present Princess Sip N Sail promotion including the BVP ( includes gratuities)

I sailed with NCL in Dec 2014 with the free UBP and felt I was over drinking just to justify the perk.

Now on a future NCL cruise I need to pay $124 pp for the 10 day gratuities including those drinks.

I will not be drinking more than one drink per meal since my recent type 2 Diabetes diagnosis. So for 10 days a glass of wine with my meal will probably pay for the $124 in gratuities I need to pay. So I won't cancel it since my husband will drink more as he has no health concerns.

I sailed Princess only once in 2012 to Alaska so it will be nice to go back and compare to NCL. No kids to plan for so that is not a consideration. Just us.

Thanks to all for their thoughts...i actually am aware of the current "sip n' sail" princess promo on select sailings...the kicker here...the "buzz" word if you will is "select'...we want to go first week of march 2017 (6 yr old Son's spring break) and for that month the sip n sail is not offered...at least for now..so it just makes sense to continue dating NCL right now... Princess march sailings require us to get on a plane (more cost) which we would consider if there was a low hanging "carrot" that Princess was dangling...red white and blue sail prom of free gratuities from Princess is just not enough to right this ship and take on additional travel expenses...

Lets play..devils advocate....lets say we did sail Princess...paid more for airfare (3 people) and also drank a few alcoholic bevies on the cruise....not only is the airfare added to trip but also the $500 est...of additional drinking...it just makes NCL look that much better for what we feel is important.

I had an oceanview for 4 people leaving out of NY on the Anthem of the Seas, 4 people was going to cost me $4500. However this was a 9 day cruise and it was the Anthem. Drink packages were on sale at $39 a day, but that price still needs to be added.

Now compare a week later on NCL I can do 4 in a mini-suite, with a drink package for the first 2 for $3500. Now this is now only a 7 day cruise, but I don't think the extra cost of the Anthem to justify just the 2 extra days.

Though you still get possibly better prices depending on where you wish to sail from, etc. Also too the older ships seem to get better prices. In the end you just have to weigh the costs of the entire trip and not just the cruise alone.

great points...true what you say about the older ships...some people only want to sail brand new ships and smell the wet paint...we call them early adapters...same people who camp out in front of the Apple store to get the latest iphone before anyone else...but that fraternizing camp out experience in front of the store for 3 days still cost you something...in economics class we used to call it the time value of money...in other words...how much is your time actually worth..

i love the kitty as your avatar... I want to rub his belly!!!!

Best,

Mark

Why would people pick other lines? It depends on what they value most in a vacation. Food? Entertainment? Aesthetic? Lots now offer a promo beverage package of some kind including MSC and Celebrity. We loved NCL, but Celebrity was much better on food, so if that is most important to people, they would probably choose Celebrity.

The drink package promo is one of the determining factors in which cruise lines we pick. And with the popularity of these packages, I know I'm not alone.

When prices across lines are very similar and one offers that perk and another doesn't, it's a no-brainer. That being said, Celebrity's promo drink package is much better. You don't pay the huge service fee on it when booking (ours was about $200 for a 7 night cruise on NCL) and it comes with waters and specialty coffees. Not to mention the wine and beer selection on Celebrity is much better. You also don't pay taxes on individual drinks while in port.

We loved our first cruise on NCL and would sail her again. If both NCL and X had the same promo and prices were the same, I don't know which I would choose. For Bermuda it would be the Breakaway, but other destinations I would probably pick Celebrity S-Class ships (until we have kids anyway, then definitely NCL).

Edited by Viva_la_Vida

Because the competing cruise line offers better drink package, has offered it for longer time as a booking perk and has better quality overall (food quality already mentioned) than NCL.

Edited by Demonyte

Sip and Sail on Princess only works for balcony and above, and it is for selected sailings and capacity controlled. Celebrity's offer is for oceanview and above, and it excludes transatlantics and other repos. NCL's promo has had similar restrictions in the past, but it is currently the most generous offer I know of, particularly for people sailing in lower stateroom cabin categories. So I'm not surprised that the OP has concluded that NCL is the best value for them at the moment. Which obviously does not mean that everyone else has to come to the same conclusion.

And taking into account how much alcoholic drinks are going to add to the cost of your vacation does not mean that "drinking is the primary (perhaps sole?) reason for cruising", as someone insinuated above.

I drink, my wife doesn't.

I can get the beer package on Royal for about the same as the service fee for the UBP on NCL. Half of which package we won't use.

Also cruising isn't just about drinking. While we both enjoyed our cruise on the Getaway, there were a few things that we considered as being from bad (the pool deck) to horrible (no static shoe on black jack unless you were a high roller). Neither of which are a deal breaker for never sailing NCL again. We are looking at them for 2017 Mexican Riviera, along with Princess.

I drink, my wife doesn't.

I can get the beer package on Royal for about the same as the service fee for the UBP on NCL. Half of which package we won't use.

Also cruising isn't just about drinking. While we both enjoyed our cruise on the Getaway, there were a few things that we considered as being from bad (the pool deck) to horrible (no static shoe on black jack unless you were a high roller). Neither of which are a deal breaker for never sailing NCL again. We are looking at them for 2017 Mexican Riviera, along with Princess.

Thanks for the response...not sure what a static shoe is for blackjack but i can imagine it gives the "house" a bit more of the ever present "advantage" thus making it a lil harder for the average player to win.

I would say for my DW and I cruising has never been about drinking per say...but when you line up both sets of apples and do a comparison...if its real close to a tie between them based on whatever you and yours feel are the most important variables that make or break your cruise..if one offers free drinks...its kind of an easy choice.

I had an oceanview for 4 people leaving out of NY on the Anthem of the Seas, 4 people was going to cost me $4500. However this was a 9 day cruise and it was the Anthem.

Now this is now only a 7 day cruise, but I don't think the extra cost of the Anthem to justify just the 2 extra days.

I don't understand the conclusion. The base price of both cruises is $500 per day. So the extra $1000 for 2 extra days on the anthem seems to exactly justify the increased base price of that cruise.