Cell phone service

vmcpa

Yep.... Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan worked great on ATT.

I hear one carrier is offering service in Glacier Bay. Check you fav carrier's coverage map.

You will be roaming when sailing past Canadian cities and towns.

You will definitely be able to use your phone while in the US for no extra charge (if you have a US plan, of course). As others mentioned, you will be charged extra if roaming in Canada ... unless you take out a plan ahead of time. Be aware that when you are traveling in remote areas, you will get zero reception ... wifi is also quite shaky.

When you put your cell phone in "air plane mode" what services will you be able to use? I will be on the Solstice in Alaska.

I will have a wifi package on the ship, if that helps. Will I be able to send texts and check social media while in "air plane mode" using the ships wifi?

Edited by sleepless

When you put your cell phone in "air plane mode" what services will you be able to use? I will be on the Solstice in Alaska.

I will have a wifi package on the ship, if that helps. Will I be able to send texts and check social media while in "air plane mode" using the ships wifi?[/quote

After you place your phone in "airplane mode", go into settings and turn your wife on. This will provide you access to the ship's wifi and not allow calls to your phone. We were on the Millennium in May and did this in order to use the onboard wifi. Since we all had iPhones, we were able to text each other using iMessage. If you don't have iPhones, you can use Facebook messenger to contact each other. There are other apps available also, such as WhatsApp to are easy to use. Sure made life easier finding our family.

Enjoy Alaska...it is one of our favorite cruises.

I will have a wifi package on the ship, if that helps. Will I be able to send texts and check social media while in "air plane mode" using the ships wifi?[/quote

After you place your phone in "airplane mode", go into settings and turn your wife on. This will provide you access to the ship's wifi and not allow calls to your phone. We were on the Millennium in May and did this in order to use the onboard wifi. Since we all had iPhones, we were able to text each other using iMessage. If you don't have iPhones, you can use Facebook messenger to contact each other. There are other apps available also, such as WhatsApp to are easy to use. Sure made life easier finding our family.

Enjoy Alaska...it is one of our favorite cruises.

Great. This will help. Thank you. I do not have an Iphone, but a Galaxy through Sprint.

I don't need it to keep tract of family on the cruise. I can usually find DH watching the sea go by on a lounger on the pool deck. I need it to keep in contact with home. My daughter has just been scheduled for a c-section while we are on the cruise. (we thought we would be back before the birth). We want to be able to keep in contact with her. Facebook messaging it is. I will have a phone and an kindle, so we should be able to stay connected. I will be able to call her when in port in Alaska.

Great. This will help. Thank you. I do not have an Iphone, but a Galaxy through Sprint.

I don't need it to keep tract of family on the cruise. I can usually find DH watching the sea go by on a lounger on the pool deck. I need it to keep in contact with home. My daughter has just been scheduled for a c-section while we are on the cruise. (we thought we would be back before the birth). We want to be able to keep in contact with her. Facebook messaging it is. I will have a phone and an kindle, so we should be able to stay connected. I will be able to call her when in port in Alaska.

On your Carrier network,turn the wifi calling on,there won't be any charge if you use the ship wifi to call.

On your Carrier network,turn the wifi calling on,there won't be any charge if you use the ship wifi to call.

How do I do that? I am technologically inept. My kids roll their eyes at me. DH and I have only had "real phones" for about 2 months.

How do I do that? I am technologically inept. My kids roll their eyes at me. DH and I have only had "real phones" for about 2 months.

If you need assistance please call your cellular company and they will assist further.

Go to setting,then go to phone,turn the WIFI calling ON.

Edited by iSailor

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to Cruise Critic -- no, wi-fi is not free. There are various plans depending on how much you might use it and how long your cruise is. If you go to the Celebrity website you can see the charges, and if you go to your My Celebrity and look at the options for purchase you'll see what the price is for your cruise.

I will be on an Alaskan cruise and I was wondering if my cell phone will work there since it is one of the 50 states? How about data?

Welcome to the 49th State! Dependent on your carrier & coverage, your cell phone/data plan may work when you are on land. Most of the ports in SE Alaska will have access/towers for the major US cell phone companies. Check w/ your provider prior to departing to verify coverage. Some of our remote Villages (which I doubt you will be visiting on this trip) have single provider service.

If by chance your phone data does not work - there are always free Wi-Fi cafes/restaurants/bars (land-based) where you can connect. Have a GREAT Cruise & enjoy the Inside Passage - it's amazing!!!

Edited by Von & John