Getting RCI to see sense with cabin allocation

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

I had thought of asking the people on boarding day but as many of you have pointed out it might be a bit awkward and I wouldn't like to be put in that position myself so I don't think I will do that. However, equally, I wouldn't have chosen an inter connecting room as a matter of choice and would struggle to see why anyone would. However, each to their own.

To answer the query about why did I choose a guarantee cabin. I didn't actually know what a guarantee cabin was at the time of booking but I will the next time!

I might phone them up and ask for an upgrade tomorrow and see what they say. If it is only £50 I'll certainly do that although I have my doubts.

Just make sure there are cabins available next to each others before you make that move, as it wouldn´t do you any good if no cabins next to each other are available in the category.

Upgrading will not make them move other parties.

As I said already upthread. I´ve Chosen connecting cabins, even when I didn´t Need them. I see no downside to a connecting cabin at all and I Chose By Location and it doesn´t matter to me if it´s connecting or not.

For sure I would refuse a request like this from RCI and I would also let them know all the way to the top how disgusted I would be By the question.

I guess some people are willing to help others, and some aren't....:rolleyes:

I would certainly not be "disgusted" if my TA called and simply asked the question.

Edited by little britain

Has not one single blessed thing to do wth being 'willing to help others' or not. And I too would be offended if somebody asked. Failure to plan on your part does not constitute and emergency on my part. Now, if the other cabin had ALSO been a guarantee, then there would be an expectation that being moved is a possibility. But if the other two cabins were linked with a note asking for them to be near, then no one owes anyone bending over backwards after the fact.

Well I wouldn't be offended at all if you asked. Everyone is different and you don't know until you ask. No reason for anyone to get insulted, they can just say no. (I am also assuming your other cabin is around midship. It would be harder to ask to trade for a location far from the original, for ex. all the way aft)

But since you don't want to call RC back, or ask onboard, the only thing left is to try to get cabins next to each other (that's all that is currently left). There are several cabins directly next to each other. Call and ask to put you into two of those cabins.

google 'book your cruise online' and find the site that shows you the available cabins on the deckplans. Easiest way to see your options right in front of you.

Edited by marci22

Has not one single blessed thing to do wth being 'willing to help others' or not. And I too would be offended if somebody asked. Failure to plan on your part does not constitute and emergency on my part. Now, if the other cabin had ALSO been a guarantee, then there would be an expectation that being moved is a possibility. But if the other two cabins were linked with a note asking for them to be near, then no one owes anyone bending over backwards after the fact.

I'm so glad that you and paulxyz decided to contribute positively to my predicament, well actually it was a simple question. For your information I didn't fail to plan. I simply didn't understand what I was booking. Made a mistake, yes I did. hanging offence and the cause of such outrage from you and Paul - no not really. Of course you have never made a mistake I presume.

Think I need to start being outraged at people being outraged. Trust me, have a heart attack at the age of 50 and you start to see things in perspective and being asked a simple question about PERHAPS changing a cabin, by anyone (WHICH I DO NOT INTEND TO DO) isn't something that you should get outraged over.

Maybe the other cabin is a guarantee cabin-how would I find that out-your chance to contribute positively or are you still outraged at a mere question?

Edited by Hobbyco

Well I wouldn't be offended at all if you asked. Everyone is different and you don't know until you ask. No reason for anyone to get insulted, they can just say no. (I am also assuming your other cabin is around midship. It would be harder to ask to trade for a location far from the original, for ex. all the way aft)

But since you don't want to call RC back, or ask onboard, the only thing left is to try to get cabins next to each other (that's all that is currently left). There are several cabins directly next to each other. Call and ask to put you into two of those cabins.

google 'book your cruise online' and find the site that shows you the available cabins on the deckplans. Easiest way to see your options right in front of you.

thanks. I have phoned RC and I am now in that catch 22 of "Nothing to do with us, contact your travel agent" Travel agent - "nothing to do with us, contact RC"

thanks. I have phoned RC and I am now in that catch 22 of "Nothing to do with us, contact your travel agent" Travel agent - "nothing to do with us, contact RC"

I think you have to be firm with your TA. It is their job to interact with RC.

This is totally in your Travel Agents court.

As far as approaching someone, I mentioned earlier it would make me uncomfortable, but in no way would I be offended by it. I'd just feel awkward about the whole situation. I'd do the move for $$$ if the other cabin wasn't in an undesirable spot and it did not take hours to do/screw up Seapass account, etc. But I'd prefer not to be approached at all honestly.

So you booked using a travel agent? They should really have known better than to advise you to book GTY with 2 young kids, knowing that the chances of cabins being allocated next to each other is very very slim.

OP - not sure if you have cruised RC before. I havent yet - previously cruised Disney, NCL and Carnival. The cruisers on those forum boards and much MUCH friendlier than on this RC board ! If the forum users here are representative of the type of people that cruise on RC - Im in for a crappola time ! Lol

This falls on your TA 100% not RCL. Your wasting your time calling RCL, just saying.....K.O.:(

I'm so glad that you and paulxyz decided to contribute positively to my predicament, well actually it was a simple question. For your information I didn't fail to plan. I simply didn't understand what I was booking. Made a mistake, yes I did. hanging offence and the cause of such outrage from you and Paul - no not really. Of course you have never made a mistake I presume.

Think I need to start being outraged at people being outraged. Trust me, have a heart attack at the age of 50 and you start to see things in perspective and being asked a simple question about PERHAPS changing a cabin, by anyone (WHICH I DO NOT INTEND TO DO) isn't something that you should get outraged over.

Maybe the other cabin is a guarantee cabin-how would I find that out-your chance to contribute positively or are you still outraged at a mere question?

I never said you failed to plan. Yep, we all make mistakes, the Point is about we handle our mistakes. Calling someone who didn´t step up to correct my mistake a jobsworth is not a good way of dealing with my very own mistake IMO.

I don´t expect others to correct my mistakes.

BTW I´m not outraged at all, I´m merely pointing out that I would be outraged if approached with this By the cruiseline or a passenger on embarkation day. I´m simply pointing this out as to give a different perspective to those who suggest such an Approach.

One of many possible reasons why I would not want to be asked the Change request is the comment placed By Little britain. Why should I be placed in a spot to be asked and deny the request, just be labeled as unhelpful later?

You would not know my reasoning for denying, maybe I have Kids in the inside across the hallway. Whatever it is I´d be at risk to be seen as unhelpful.

As for your question about how to find out if the other cabin is a guarantee as well. I don´t know, but it´s irrelevant anyway. Even if it is a guarantee assignment as well those People in there now should not be moved for your convenience and RCI would be under no Obligation to take any further Action vs. if those Folks had booked it specifically.

IMO your only Options are to live with what you got, or Change from guarantee to a specific cabin category and look for cabins next to each other available.

Oh and yes all this has to be done By your TA as they own the booking and RCI can´t really do anything.

As you Keep bringing up your heart attack, I just fail to understand what it has to do with anything here. I know it´s a life changing Experience for many.

OP shouldn't have to change to a specific cabin category. His cabins have been assigned; Royal will usually let you change your cabin to another one within that category. Not sure if the rules are different for non US bookings.

OP shouldn't have to change to a specific cabin category. His cabins have been assigned; Royal will usually let you change your cabin to another one within that category. Not sure if the rules are different for non US bookings.

This does not apply for bookings in the UK and many other countries.

UK rules are very different, they can not make changes without paying a fee.

Maybe they can go back into guarantee pool then.

Seems odd that Royal took the two guarantee bookings for a family and didn't assign them next to each other. It would have been just as easy? There are quite a few (17) JS left. I'm guessing they got 9634 because it was a double.

Edited by marci22

Seems odd that Royal took the two guarantee bookings for a family and didn't assign them next to each other. It would have been just as easy? There are quite a few (17) JS left. I'm guessing they got 9634 because it was a double.

That's the gamble with guarantees and why they don't allow you to specify criteria on guarantees, they'd rather upsell you to pay for selecting your own room.

I don't agree with the guarantee game. People book a guarantee cabin for less money and give up their ability to choose their cabin. To still be able to change to a more desirable cabin after the fact, defeats the purpose of a guarantee. I don't fault the people who try but I don't agree with those who then complain that they can't get both the cheaper rate and the cabin they wanted.

By the time of your cruise, you may have this straightened out.

But...on a cruise many many years ago, we were approached by crew staff asking if we would be willing to move from our connecting room. Our neighbor had a similar issue as yours. So we moved from our specifically selected center cabin to something far more forward than I would have liked. We were given a free dinner to Chops and a bridge tour for our hassle. Think they may have moved everything for us as well; they made it easy.

That was, as I said, quite some time ago and Royal's customer service just isn't the same. Nevertheless, I don't think I would have liked a stranger coming up to me. Plus, you would be making somebody wait in a long 1st day line! I would suggest asking at the service desk to assist you first. Again, not relevant if you get straightened away before boarding.

And, I agree that your TA messed up and it's their job to talk to RCCL. Sounds like you shouldn't use them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally different rules for the UK with guarantees. No changing, no going back in the pool. Once it's assigned it's assigned.

That's the gamble with guarantees and why they don't allow you to specify criteria on guarantees, they'd rather upsell you to pay for selecting your own room.

I understand guarantees.

I've twice booked guarantees (for 2 cabins) for us (traveling with 3 adult children) and both times they put us fairly close (a few cabins away) together. The one time, we were on different decks, and I was disappointed, but I looked again later on in the day and that cabin had been switched to be closer to the other one. And I didn't even ask.

Edited by marci22

I don't fault the people who try but I don't agree with those who then complain that they can't get both the cheaper rate and the cabin they wanted.

I think a lot of people who book guarantees for the first time are not really aware of the possible consequences. It's a steep learning curve.

It´s not the way a guarantee works in the UK.

In the UK, you take the gamble and after a cabin is assigned, that´s your cabin unless you Change it to something else for more Money. There is no moving along within the same category and there is no going back into the pool to get another shot.

I fully agree with reallyitsmema, it´s the way guarantees should be dealt with, as everything else defeats the purpose of a guarantee.

If there´s actually that many JS left and some of them next to each other, the OP should call their TA and have them "upgrade" from guarantee to assigned cabins and book two cabins next to each other. Problem solved.

So we moved from our specifically selected center cabin to something far more forward than I would have liked.

First question to ask if you are considering the switch: Where will my new cabin be?

Same thing when we are on an airplane and are asked to change seats (often, because my travel party is all adults and we frequently are seated singly to take advantage of aisle seats: Where is the new seat? If it is far behind me, or non-aisle, no. If it is a better category or farther front, ok.

I've twice booked guarantees (for 2 cabins) for us (traveling with 3 adult children) and both times they put us fairly close (a few cabins away) together.

That´s what they did to the OP. They assigned cabins "a bit further down the corridor" from each other.;)