Summit is it a good ship for teenage boys?

14cruisegirl

I have sailed on both lines, although not those particular ships. I can tell you that they will be very bored on a Celebrity cruise. I have had two teenage boys, and I can honestly say they would have been at loose ends looking for something to do all day, other than sitting at the pool. On our cruise in March I saw two pre teen girls, the only two children I ever saw the entire cruise.

And while sitting at the Sunset bar with their parents, they looked totally out of sorts, and bored. Celebrity caters to a little bit older crowd, I think you would do better on NCL or even Royal Caribbean.

If your boys are happy with each other's company, will enjoy swimming in the pool and just chilling out they will be OK.....As a late teen our son enjoyed an X cruise as 'rest and relaxation' from a very active life, now in his 20's it is his preferred line.

As an early teen we took him on RC ships where there were climbing walls, flow riders, zip wires, crazy golf...not only did the activities keep him busy they were opportunities for him to meet other youngsters. (If you do look at RC check the activities available on board, not all of them have flow riders...).

If you do decide to go down the Celebrity route there is a teen area and teen activities (if enough participants). I would suggest they do bring a hand held gaming system, iPads....for those quiet times, budget in some active excursions and pack some playing cards or other games if they are at a loose end sea day afternoons.

Looking back at what I have written, please do not think I am being negative about taking your teens on a Celebrity cruise....You just all need to board being willing to make your own entertainment at times. Some of our most memorable family cruise times have been on quieter cruises. You know your boys....if they enjoy each other's company and can to some degree entertain themselves they will be fine!

We've been sailing on the Summit in the spring and Breakaway in the fall for the past couple of years and, while we enjoy both, there's a lot more for anybody to do on the Breakaway.

I would go with either NCL or a Royal Caribbean ship. There are many more options for younger people. If it was just you and a companion, then Summit would be an excellent choice. If you bring teenager, it will be a LONG cruise for everyone.

I sailed on the Summit a few years ago with 2 teenage daughters. They joined the teen club on the first night and met loads of other teenagers. After a couple of nights all the teens just hung out together and didn't bother going to the club. My daughters had a wonderful time and still keep in touch with the boys and girls they met on this cruise who live all over the world.

Sailed both ships. Breakaway would be my choice for teens. They have the attractions they would enjoy from slides, survival type course, walk the plank, mini golf over anything else the Summit can offer, and much more. Just look at the ships in detail online and you'll see.

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering if there are any more feedback on this thread? Will be boarding the Summit at the end of the week with DD16 and DS13. Neither require constant entertainment all the time (electronic or otherwise - yes, they are somewhat extraordinary) and might even be happy playing a good game of Catan/Risk/Monopoly with new teen friends. Hoping there will be some like-minded and friendly teens on board. Yes, I know that might sound somewhat boring (versus lots of dancing and partying) but I always wondered why some of the good ol' days can't still be part of the present new days.

I'd like to encourage them to try out the Teen Club the first day and hope they can find some nice teens to hang out with throughout the cruise so they do not feel stuck to me too often. :) The main requirement is simply that we have to eat dinner together.

Hi! We will also be boarding the summit this weekend with 3 teens 15 (almost 16) 15 and 14. All boys who love board games and are pretty low key and social. I am going to encourage them to go to the teen events the first night as well. Who knows Maybe our kids will meet up! Great to see your post Dreamer68

I agree that it really depends on what your teens want/expect in the way of entertainment. We traveled many times with my youngest son from the time he was 3 until adult, with a cruise (and sometimes two) a year, almost always on Celebrity. He enjoyed chilling out on the trip. He brought his laptop and played video games, enjoyed movies in the room on occasion (more options on S class), and most importantly he enjoyed spending time with us swimming, playing board games, and so on. He even liked dressing up for dinner (not as big an issue nowadays) and loved being treated like a king from the staff.

That said, in recent years we tried the Freedom of the Seas and I have to admit he said if he had to choose between a ship like that and a Celebrity ship, he would pick the Freedom because there were more activities appealing to younger people. But he always enjoyed his Celebrity cruises very much and was always eager to go.

I will add an editorial comment about this topic in general (not directed specifically at the OP)- take it for what it is worth - it is not meant as a criticism against anyone's choice. When my kids are able to start paying for their portion of the trip, that is when they will be the ones deciding which cruise to take. I know parents want their kids to be happy (I do too) but we don't owe them entertainment every minute. And more important than that, being a full-time working couple family it was very important to us to use the time on the cruise to actually spend some time as a family hanging out and enjoying each other's company, away from cell phones and other distractions. On 'party ships' they are constantly off doing their own thing rather than spending quality family time. If that is what you are looking for, that is your business. But for me, it was a good chance to bond and I am very happy we had that time together.

Hi! We will also be boarding the summit this weekend with 3 teens 15 (almost 16) 15 and 14. All boys who love board games and are pretty low key and social. I am going to encourage them to go to the teen events the first night as well. Who knows Maybe our kids will meet up! Great to see your post Dreamer68

Hi Hannah318,

I have to say I grinned from ear to ear reading your post. :) I understand some seasoned travelers will label me "lame" but that's okay, to each his own. My DH will be rolling his eyes at me when I insist on packing one of the "big" board games. It is sooooo good to know there are still people left in North America who might enjoy a board game or two...figured these would simply be options on the Sea Days. we are traveling with a girlfriend and her family (DH, DD21, DS20) who after calling me "lame" in the most loving way, reminded me that the board games MIGHT be for us adults too. LOL!!! I am looking forward to watching movies on the Rooftop Terrace too if the weather is good. Praying that the weather and the journey will be good.

Phoenix_dream, I agree, this is a family vacation for us and so I do hope to spend some quality time with my kids but still giving them freedom to explore and be independent. :) Who knows, Teen Club might be really fun and interesting next week and the kids will enjoy a good balance of activities and getting to know people.

There is hope for America's youth with comments from parents who have chosen to do so on this thread. Impressive!

I'm pushing 70 now, my 4 kids are 28, 30, 40 and 42 - 3 girls and a boy who is 40. From these 4, I have 6 grand kids, the 28 year old is pregnant for the first time and the 30 year old just got engaged.

Cruising was not something we did when raising my kids but I wish it had been and for the very reason one poster mentioned about family time, about bonding and how valuable that was. Since we're now empty nesters by many, many years, we cruise 3-4X per year and love it.

Had a recent grand-kids cruise with a 7, 7 and 9 year old on Carnival Sunshine. We laid down the rules and enforced them. They had a ball and maybe liked best the dinner and pool times that they spent with Grandma and Grandpa .... family time. Every time we see them now they ask, "when are we going on another cruise?

I cannot emphasize the importance of family and bonding in a way that is comfortable for you and yours. It will endure. Life time memories and impressions.

If you're sailing the Summit to Bermuda in the summer, there will be plenty of kids on board. They should absolutely go the the teen activities on the first night because that's when everyone gets to know each other. After that there will activities planned and they can choose whether or not to participate. Being teenagers, they will generally just want to hang together. Once our kids reached that age, I made an effort to get to know the parents of the kids they were hanging out with.

I am going back and forth between the Summit and the ncl breakaway. I really want to try Celebrity with boys but am not knowing what to expect, any advice would be really appreciated,thanks!

Celebrity was for our kids 20 years ago. Neither has ever wanted to go back on NCL, but will sail Celebrity any time I will still pay! They are really old kids now. 😆

There is hope for America's youth with comments from parents who have chosen to do so on this thread. Impressive!

I'm pushing 70 now, my 4 kids are 28, 30, 40 and 42 - 3 girls and a boy who is 40. From these 4, I have 6 grand kids, the 28 year old is pregnant for the first time and the 30 year old just got engaged.

Cruising was not something we did when raising my kids but I wish it had been and for the very reason one poster mentioned about family time, about bonding and how valuable that was. Since we're now empty nesters by many, many years, we cruise 3-4X per year and love it.

Had a recent grand-kids cruise with a 7, 7 and 9 year old on Carnival Sunshine. We laid down the rules and enforced them. They had a ball and maybe liked best the dinner and pool times that they spent with Grandma and Grandpa .... family time. Every time we see them now they ask, "when are we going on another cruise?

I cannot emphasize the importance of family and bonding in a way that is comfortable for you and yours. It will endure. Life time memories and impressions.

Dear jbuch02,

Got it! Board games + family time + cruise = NOT LAME :D

My kids did not complain at all when we spent time going through their wardrobe looking for appropriate dinner attire. It will be nice to be pampered a little...or a lot, :) compared to our relatively simple suburban lives.

Glad to know your grandkids enjoy cruising with you. :) My hubby and I cruised once with HAL about 20 years ago when we had the DINK status (double income no kids) but then I got into the no-way-you-are-getting-rich-from-this profession called "Teaching" (so rewarding in other ways, phew!) and we are thankful for this gift of a family cruise now with our kids. Looking forward to a good holiday and perhaps meeting some really nice folks too along the way.

If you're sailing the Summit to Bermuda in the summer, there will be plenty of kids on board. They should absolutely go the the teen activities on the first night because that's when everyone gets to know each other. After that there will activities planned and they can choose whether or not to participate. Being teenagers, they will generally just want to hang together. Once our kids reached that age, I made an effort to get to know the parents of the kids they were hanging out with.

Thanks!! Great idea! Note to self: get to know parents of other teens our kids hang with. (Invite them to board game. Nah...just kidding ;) )

Save

Thanks!! Great idea! Note to self: get to know parents of other teens our kids hang with. (Invite them to board game. Nah...just kidding ;) )

Save

Dreamer68, I don't have a teenager, my daughter is only 6, but this thread is making me consider tossing the travel Scrabble set in the suitcase. Maybe we can put together some games from the rollcall. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My 3 (then) teens took their first Celebrity cruise on the Millie for a Spring Break in 2003. Had a wonderful time! There were several others that they hung out with, in addition to being with us and their grandparents.

My girls still sail Celebrity, although they took RCCL and Carnival cruises throughout their high school, college and young adult years. Now 31 and 35, they still love Celebrity. :)

I think the success of a Celebrity cruise on the Summit will be the time of year that you cruise.

Edited by Iamthesea

Dreamer68, I don't have a teenager, my daughter is only 6, but this thread is making me consider tossing the travel Scrabble set in the suitcase. Maybe we can put together some games from the rollcall. [emoji41]

Hi rgg, I think your 6-year old will be very nicely occupied by the Fun Factory aboard the Summit. :) Teenagers seem a whole other kettle of fish....depending on the age, gender and personality, they can be mercurial in every aspect, swinging from moodiness to pure joy with stops in between along the pendulum. Shakespeare said, "Expectation is the root of all heartache." So, I am not setting high expectations but knowing my kids, I am simply doing my research to be prepared. :) So thankful for people here who share their experiences.

I've read through our roll call. I did not see many families represented, there seemed to be more couples.....so, I will keep my ears and eyes opened for options and I'm pretty sure I will see you and your daughter. :)

Hi rgg, I think your 6-year old will be very nicely occupied by the Fun Factory aboard the Summit. :) Teenagers seem a whole other kettle of fish....depending on the age, gender and personality, they can be mercurial in every aspect, swinging from moodiness to pure joy with stops in between along the pendulum. Shakespeare said, "Expectation is the root of all heartache." So, I am not setting high expectations but knowing my kids, I am simply doing my research to be prepared. :) So thankful for people here who share their experiences.

I've read through our roll call. I did not see many families represented, there seemed to be more couples.....so, I will keep my ears and eyes opened for options and I'm pretty sure I will see you and your daughter. :)

Dreamer68, I'm sure she will have fun at the Fun Factory. I guess I wasn't clear. I meant adult Scrabble games. [emoji4]

Dreamer68, I'm sure she will have fun at the Fun Factory. I guess I wasn't clear. I meant adult Scrabble games. [emoji4]

Ohhhhh!! Scrabble for the adults. LOL!!!! :D Love it! Might require too much thinking whilst on vacay mode, though. We will go with the flow. See you on the boat!