What was your favorite Alaskan excursion?

cherryharley

My best excursions were probably the 4 trips I took with Breakaway Adventures out of Wrangell including 2 trips to Anan. Or maybe the 5 days in Haines in the fall doing eagle photography. Or maybe the 4 days I spent in Chena Hot Springs in February doing aurora photography.

Not sure which was best. Some were sure expensive but worth it.

DON

In Juneau we did the Era Helicopter flight to a glacier and dog camp where we got the mush the dog sled. The was the one thing my husband wanted to do and it was worth every penny ($550 per person) to see the smile on his face.

My favorite was the day cruise we took from Major Marine in Seward after disembarkation. We saw humpbacks lunge feeding, a breach, fin slaps, tail flukes (over a dozen individual whales) not to mention otters and glaciers. The prime rib and salmon buffet was also very tasty.

I think our favourite was out of Kodiak with Seahawk air, a floatplane tour to Katmai to see the coastal brown bears. It ended up being just us two and the pilot. What an experience, both the scenic flight and the wildlife. Absolutely worth every penny!

Edited by trophy_23

I am seeing many votes for the train in Skagway. Yes, it is a must do at some point, but we wanted to see more than what the train had to offer, to go beyond the summit.

Skagway is your gateway to the unspoiled Canadian wilderness. We rented a jeep from Alaska Green Jeeps. Yes, the jeep is green. You can get a lunch packed for the day for $10.00 a person. The excursion was about $200.00 for the two of us for the day.

The jeep comes with an electronic narrator, so that you have a guide for the day.We headed off from Skagway into the Canadian wilderness. You will need your passport as your pass through the border coming and going. Wow, the views and the drive did NOT disappoint! You can see pristine, unspoiled glaciers lakes and mountains. Emerald Lake is your turn around point. The excursion, with picture taking and lunch, took about 5 hours. Our pictures are as amazing as our memories.

We loved it so much that we are booking this again for our next trip.

Edited by ProfessorandtheGeek

I am seeing many votes for the train in Skagway. Yes, it is a must do at some point, but we wanted to see more than what the train had to offer, to go beyond the summit.
Best thing to do is get a train & bus combo. While some like the bridge, Yukon trips to Caribou Crossing is popular. For those into history.... Liarsville is a popular combo.

Train/bus combo's also allow you to see both sides of the canyon.

Edited by xlxo

We just returned and all our excursions were amazing but if I had to choose one it would be in Skagway. We used Mountain Flying Services. We flew over and a round Glacier Bay for 90 minutes. This is not a float plane but a small 8 person plane. Yes it was expensive about $1,000 for four people but we felt it was so worth it. Would do it again in a minute. Beautiful blue skies, white puffy clouds and about 75 degrees. Highly recommend this company.

Perhaps our flight-seeing trip over Denali Park, viewing Mt. McKinley/ Denali, with glacier landing... Over 2 1/2 hours of a wonderful experience with 30 minutes to play on the glacier. We were the first flight out in the morning to view the mountain with a fresh coat of 7 inches of new powder snow. Due to the forest fires in Willow, the mountain had no clear viewings for over 6 weeks.

Our pilot explained to us how fortunate we were to view the entire mountain. Unsure if we could repeat this flight, as the weather is always changing...

We are so happy it turned out so well...

493_edited-1_zpss4mrbyln.jpg[/img]

393_edited-1_zpsz2ifsfka.jpg[/img]

377_edited-1_zpsezywh4hy.jpg[/img]

354_edited-1_zpsjltx5j9f.jpg[/img]

360_zps0ehg8eke.jpg[/img]

There are no bad excursions or DIY adventures in Alaska. Everyone has a favorite... Next for me was our whale-watching excursion out of Icy Strait Point, private excursion with 10 people & lots of Humpback action.

Happy Travels, John

I love the small boat trip into Tracy Arm, have done it 6 times with Adventure Bound. Other top favorite would be a flightseeing trip over Glacier Bay with Mountain Flying Service from Skagway. Lots of other memorable excursions be these top my list.

Without a doubt: whale watching with F.I.S.H.E.S. in Icy Strait. Just phenomenal. Other favorites: the helicopter trip to Mendenhall Glacier (booked through the ship) and what was supposed to be a "float" trip trough the eagle preserve in Haines, but ended up being more of a white water rafting trip (also booked through the ship).

Edited by cruisingwithcarrie

What was your favorite Alaskan excursion and why? Was it exciting, breathtaking, educational? And if you don't mind, was it expensive?

The tracy arm excursion where you tender off the ship. So low in the water & so close to the glaciers.

Which side of the train should you sit going from Skagway to Fraser for the best is?

Left side on that leg, although there is often scenery on both sides. Chilkoot Charters was great because we were in the last carriage and a small group, so we could move around freely. There are also open-air platforms at beginning or end of each carriage so you can step out and take clearer pictures in either direction.

• 2 weeks later...

Before our cruise, we rented a car. Took a three hour glacier trek with MICA guides. Favorite of the trip, it was amazing to trek around the glacier for three hours!!!

Next favorite was the Glacier Point Wilderness excursion in Haines. Also heard they do this out of Skagway, it's just a longer boat ride to the excursion.

Third, whale watching.

Before our cruise, we rented a car. Took a three hour glacier trek with MICA guides. Favorite of the trip, it was amazing to trek around the glacier for three hours!!!

Next favorite was the Glacier Point Wilderness excursion in Haines. Also heard they do this out of Skagway, it's just a longer boat ride to the excursion.

Third, whale watching.

Which port did you sail out of?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Flying over the glaciers in a 1956 de Havilland Beaver with Paul from Mountain Flying Service, out of Skagway (they're based in Haines). The thrill of a lifetime. It wasn't a clear day, but it was beautiful nonetheless, and the views were breathtaking. We flew over the east and west arms of Glacier Bay and got gorgeous views of Mount Fairweather. The plane is a beauty, and Paul really puts you at ease. Unforgettable, and this was a day after seeing Sawyer Glacier up-close and whales bubble-net feeding, so that was a pretty hard act to follow.

Flying over the glaciers in a 1956 de Havilland Beaver with Paul from Mountain Flying Service, out of Skagway (they're based in Haines). The thrill of a lifetime. It wasn't a clear day, but it was beautiful nonetheless, and the views were breathtaking. We flew over the east and west arms of Glacier Bay and got gorgeous views of Mount Fairweather. The plane is a beauty, and Paul really puts you at ease. Unforgettable, and this was a day after seeing Sawyer Glacier up-close and whales bubble-net feeding, so that was a pretty hard act to follow.

Glad you enjoyed you flight with Mountain Flying. I was also thrilled with my flight with Paul a couple of years ago. We had a beautiful day for flying and it was spectacular.

I enjoyed all of my excursions, but the most spectacular was the level 3 extended glacier trek via helicopter with Northstar Trekking. On Mendenhall Glacier, we climbed up a 50-foot ice wall and got a respectable workout going up and down smaller slopes to various features, including a small lake and two active moulins - deadly blue drains plunging hundreds of feet into the ice. We also enjoyed a great flightseeing tour of more glaciers on the way back.

Pricey, yes, but worth every cent for a unique and well-run activity. Detailed recap and photos here.

I loved reading your review - thank you!

• 7 months later...
Reviving this thread.... anyone done the Kenai Fjord cruises?

My Alaska trip is coming up in June, so I can't give a review -- but I'll share my research and my decision.

The two primary tour companies that cruise Kenai Fjords are Kenai Fjords Cruises and Major Marine. Their boats hold around 150 people, more or less - lunch is either available on board or on Fox Island, depending on which company you cruise with. The meals may be buffet, salmon, prime rib, etc. They also offer various perks (fog-free windows, heated seats, free use of binoculars, etc.) and are worth checking out.

But I decided that I didn't want to have to jockey for viewing space with over a hundred other people, and the whole lunch thing wasn't really a priority for me. So I found Alaska Saltwater Lodge - they also do tours of Kenai Fjords, but their 45-foot vessels top out at 15 passengers max. They have bathrooms (that's important to me, LOL) and do serve lunch -- but it looks like simple wrap sandwiches and cans of soda. But for me, it's not about the meal, it's about getting close to beautiful scenery, glaciers, and wildlife.

So I'd recommend you take some time to think about what's most important to you and choose the company that you'll be most happy with.

What was your favorite Alaskan excursion and why? Was it exciting, breathtaking, educational? And if you don't mind, was it expensive?

Bear viewing at Anan - 3 trips there; glacier hiking at Wrangell St. Elias; driving the haul road; 6 days aurora viewing north of Fairbanks in March; 5 days of fall eagle photography in Haines.

DON

Taku Glacier Lodge float plane glacier tour, and salmon bake.

Yes...$$...but worth every penny of it. :)

This is the excursion that I am most looking forward too! Hoping for great weather so it doesn't get cancelled! We will be in Juneau on June 8th!