Riverside Hotel or Embassy on 17th Street

Biris

Hi all,

We already booked the Embassy on 17th Street, but now have second thought due to reading so many great things about the Riverside Hotel. Would you choose Riverside Hotel over Embassy if pricing is the same? (no free breakfast and happy hour for Riverside). Please help me decide since there are only 2 rooms left at Riverside for that same pricing. (we won't be renting a car).

Thank you!

Biris

Another vote for the Riverside. You will be in the heart of Fort Lauderdale with all the attractions (restaurants, galleries, boutiques) along Las Olas Blvd (http://www.lasolasboulevard.com), the New River (http://www.watertaxi.com, http://www.carriebcruises.com, http://www.suntrolley.com/water-trolley/, etc.), and the museum area (check out http://www.sunny.org). The Embassy Suites is on a busy 6 lane road with 1 mile of strip malls interspersed with hotels. You could be anywhere in America if you take away the palm trees :D.

No contest, The Riverside.

Anyone who picks the Embassy has never been on Las Olas.

The difference between being in a gorgeous, historic hotel on a tree lined boulevard and staying at a corporate hotel on an industrial street.

Thank you all for your inputs. I just booked the Riverside instead and splurged on the executive room :D (so much for trying to set a budget!) Thanks Capriccio for the info.

Edited by Biris

Are there any good restaurants that are kids friendly and not too pricey around Las Olas Blvd.? (my kids will be 11 and 7). Thank you!

If you are looking for a chain.....Cheesecake Factory is on Las Olas.

Are there any good restaurants that are kids friendly and not too pricey around Las Olas Blvd.? (my kids will be 11 and 7). Thank you!

Cheesecake Factory next door and Big City Tavern across the street.

Thank you, Lois and Blue Herons. We'll be staying there for 2 nights. Is Bao a good place for kids? How about Mexican or Cuban?

I think there is a Mexican Restaurant along Las Olas too but I can't

remember the name.

When you arrive at the hotel, you will find LOTS of restaurants on both

sides:D.......

What is BAO? Never heard of that one.

Thank you, Lois and Blue Herons. We'll be staying there for 2 nights. Is Bao a good place for kids? How about Mexican or Cuban?

Bao has amazing Asian food! Really good but I'm not sure if it isn't too advanced for kids palates? Did you look at the menu?

Roccos Tacos is perfect for kids and has REALLY fantastic Mexican food.

It is walkable down Las Olas.

South Florida isn't great on Asian.

Asia Bay has great sushi!

We have 2 reservations with Embassy, one night on November 30th with my daughter and son-in-law and one on December 1st and 2nd for myself and my husband.

My daughter and son-in-law are staying with relatives in Miami the next day and my husband and I are going to stay at Embassy for the next two days before our cruise . I heard a lot of good thing about Riverside hotel and am thinking about switching to Riverside for one night then checking into Embassy for the next 2 pre-cruise days. We will arrive in FL around 11 p.m, is it worth it to switch to this hotel, or should we stay at Embassy ? Heard about La Bonne Crepe and other restaurant, just want to try them out. Thanks:)

We have 2 reservations with Embassy, one night on November 30th with my daughter and son-in-law and one on December 1st and 2nd for myself and my husband.

My daughter and son-in-law are staying with relatives in Miami the next day and my husband and I are going to stay at Embassy for the next two days before our cruise . I heard a lot of good thing about Riverside hotel and am thinking about switching to Riverside for one night then checking into Embassy for the next 2 pre-cruise days. We will arrive in FL around 11 p.m, is it worth it to switch to this hotel, or should we stay at Embassy ? Heard about La Bonne Crepe and other restaurant, just want to try them out. Thanks:)

If I were staying in Fort Lauderdale for two nights, I would not want them to be at The Embassy. I would just stay both nights at The Riverside unless it is tons more expensive.

I'd hate to move hotels.

If I were staying in Fort Lauderdale for two nights, I would not want them to be at The Embassy. I would just stay both nights at The Riverside unless it is tons more expensive.

I'd hate to move hotels.

Thank you BlueHerons, we booked Embassy Suite when it was $139 a night. I think it was a good price. Have to talk to my husband to see if he want to stay all 3 nights at Embassy, or 1 night at Riverside, and 2 nights at Embassy. His family is coming from Nevada to stay at the same hotel with us 2 night pre-cruise. So you see I have to stay at Embassy:o. Just thinking that we will stay 1 night at Riverside, have breakfast or lunch on Las Olas,then check in at Embassy to hangout with family!

No contest, The Riverside.

Anyone who picks the Embassy has never been on Las Olas.

The difference between being in a gorgeous, historic hotel on a tree lined boulevard and staying at a corporate hotel on an industrial street.

I'm just curious about your blog. When I click on the link it opens up your blog but the most recent entry is 2013. Is that correct?

Thank you BlueHerons, we booked Embassy Suite when it was $139 a night. I think it was a good price. Have to talk to my husband to see if he want to stay all 3 nights at Embassy, or 1 night at Riverside, and 2 nights at Embassy. His family is coming from Nevada to stay at the same hotel with us 2 night pre-cruise. So you see I have to stay at Embassy:o. Just thinking that we will stay 1 night at Riverside, have breakfast or lunch on Las Olas,then check in at Embassy to hangout with family!

Personally, I'm not a big fan of staying in 2 hotels. Since you aren't arriving until after 11 PM and will probably have to check out by 11 AM, it would be easier to stay at ES and take a taxi or Uber ($10 or less each way) to Las Olas Blvd.

Edited by royalcruz

I'm just curious about your blog. When I click on the link it opens up your blog but the most recent entry is 2013. Is that correct?

Yes, I am not able to access it to update.

For the most part, the information is correct.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of staying in 2 hotels. Since you aren't arriving until after 11 PM and will probably have to check out by 11 AM, it would be easier to stay at ES and take a taxi or Uber ($10 or less each way) to Las Olas Blvd.

Thanks Royalcruz, you're right.We'll keep our reservation at Embassy Suite.Next time we will stay at Riverside for sure :)