No straighteners/ hairdryers etc

NottsCruiser

I think there was a thread like this a few months ago and it was settled that curling irons were allowed. I have not heard of any other cruise line banning curling irons (or hair dryers either). Traveling irons, yes.

I have very fine hair. I need a curling iron .... and a lot of hair spray.;)

This is my post from a thread, which quotes the original thread

I found this by searching the forum

It's a post by MSC's USA office

October 28th, 2013, 10:12 PM

MSC Cruises USA

Customer Care, MSC Cruises USA ~ verified Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL

Default Hair Straighteners

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by susyq

Hi all.

Is there ANYBODY sailing the Canaries on Armonia on 30th November? Lot's of other roll calls for other ships but nothing for this. Or am I missing it completely?

Also, just noticed somebody responding to a post about irons etc and he told a lady traveller that Curling tongs and hair straighteners were not allowed? Surely not? They are allowed on RCI ships and there can't be a lady on this planet who will go to a formal dinner without straightening her hair??? I can't anyway

Hair straighteners are allowed onboard. Sorry for any confusion.

MSC Cruises USA

View Public Profile

Find all posts by MSC Cruises USA

Add MSC Cruises USA to Your Contacts

I made it red

Pete

Edited by Skier52

I am feeling very confused about whether or not hair flat irons are allowed on the Divina. Speaking with 2 different MCS PCC's I have two different answers. One says yes, the other says no. So sad to say, but if I can't take my flat iron I will have to cancel.....cancelling over a flat iron seems dumb, but I would have no choice like I'm sure many other women are in my same boat!

In the ALREADY BOOKED under General Info when clicking on electrical appliances it says......"please note that no heat - generating devices (like electric kettles, bottle warmer for babies, electric blanket, etc) are allowed on board" On Royal's policy it lists the EXCEPTION is curling irons, flat irons - easy to understand...... I truly wish MSC would state YES OR NO in their policy to flat irons and curling irons......not sure why they don't:confused:

Does anyone have any idea how I can get a definitive answer on the crazy hair flat iron subject?

Thanks,

Laura

PS I just check Carnival's items allowed on the ship..........they list a million things that can't be taken but then they have an EXCEPTION clause which states hair dryers, flat irons and curling irons are allowed if used with caution........... In check Royal and Carnival policies it's spelled out nice and clear......sure wish MSC's policy was so detailed. It's the "etc" in MSC policy that has me concerned.

Thi
Edited by GRANNYOFSIX
checking Carnival web site

Totally off topic, AnnMondo: HOw do you like that nano keretin? How long is your hair? Colored? Maybe I'll put this in the fashion section :).

It's long, (half way down my back) coloured and highlighted and I love it. Stops my hair getting so tangled and makes it much smoother. Tends to last twice as long as they say it does, hence only twice per year.

I have been researching the hair flat iron question a lot today. I just found the following:

On MSC website under contact at header then frequently asked questions - then go to stateroom info ......there you will see a listing of questions....... the question can I bring electrical appliances with me? When you open it the following is said: " The only electrical appliances permitted in staterooms are: electric shavers and hair dryers, battery charges and computers. Heat-generating appliances are not permitted"

I guess that answers my question about flat irons:(:(:(

Glad to hear you took a flat iron on the ship..........did you put it in your carry on or checked luggage?

Update regarding flat irons........I spoke to a rep at MSC today and she emailed her supervisor regarding flat irons. I was told flat irons are allowed to be brought on the ship. I asked her to send me an email confirming this info.

I brought my flat iron twice on Divina. I had Keratin treatment and just needed the flat iron to smooth it out. I also have like an oven mitt to keep it in and a Teflon pad to put it on to keep from burning things.

Both times it was in my carry on.

I doubt I would ever cancel a cruise over a hair iron. I'd try to take it aboard but have a backup hair plan in case. Who cancels a cruise for a heating element?!

I had them in my carry on as my suitcase at the airport check in was over the limit (!!!) so had to take things out to put in hand luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Instead if using heated irons I use large self grip rollers. I dry my hair then put the rollers in and blast them with the hairdryer and leave them in while I do my make up. This adds body without the need for heated irons!

Are people actually serious about cancelling because you are potentially unable to take straighteners on board? It's approx $30 to have your hair done in the salon!

Are people actually serious about cancelling because you are potentially unable to take straighteners on board? It's approx $30 to have your hair done in the salon!

Yes, they are actually serious. There are some who will cancel their cruise b/c they can't bring a case of water or soda on board too. :rolleyes:

That is so sad that you would deprive yourself and family of a fabulous trip just because of hair straighteners.

Not really. I'd go on Holland America, Celebrity, Norwegian, Princess, Royal Caribbean or even Carnival or Costa .... lines I've been on before and know they allow hair devices. I'll even go on MSC because I have just read on this board that curling irons ARE allowed. I don't know why this comes up here, it doesn't anywhere else.

Not really. I'd go on Holland America, Celebrity, Norwegian, Princess, Royal Caribbean or even Carnival or Costa .... lines I've been on before and know they allow hair devices. I'll even go on MSC because I have just read on this board that curling irons ARE allowed. I don't know why this comes up here, it doesn't anywhere else.

It comes up here because MSC has in their USA literature specifically stating no heat generating devices. I think it's just another example of a language barrier at play.

Thanks for the tips on Keretin! I'm going to ask my stylist :).

It comes up here because MSC has in their USA literature specifically stating no heat generating devices. I think it's just another example of a language barrier at play.

Thanks for the tips on Keretin! I'm going to ask my stylist :).

In the uk it actually shows pictures of straighteners and hair dryers as well as numerous other items which are not allowed on the actual luggage labels they send you. I took mine and didn't have a problem taking them abroad.

Thanks for this info regarding the power strip too. May I ask if it was a plain power strip or a surge protector? I know on NCL, you're not supposed to use surge protectors due to the possibility of causing a fire so just wondering. We usually take both on our travels but we can eliminate one if it's not allowed on the ship.

Cheers,

I am pretty sure it was just a power strip (but it is at my parents to be reused on one of their many cruises so I can't check and I don't want to make them go dig it out of their traveling box). It has been on quite a few cruises before! We didn't have an issue because we have one of those multi-usb hubs for up to 10 usb cords that did not get taken. We only had to fight over charging camera and using the flat iron!

I am pretty sure it was just a power strip (but it is at my parents to be reused on one of their many cruises so I can't check and I don't want to make them go dig it out of their traveling box). It has been on quite a few cruises before! We didn't have an issue because we have one of those multi-usb hubs for up to 10 usb cords that did not get taken. We only had to fight over charging camera and using the flat iron!

Thanks for getting back to me, I don't think we'll have an issue though. I'm sure they'll have enough outlets for us and we have all kinds of converters so may not even bother bringing one.

LOL, I hear you about the camera, my DH brings his so I don't bother anymore, just use my Android...

Thanks again...

Cheers,

Yes many mainline cruise lines have similar restrictions . I know Holland America , Princess and Celebrity have similar restrictions on straighteners hot air brushes etc. It is written into the Passage Contract (Most people agree to but don't read).

Again...nope! I bring my straighteners, hot air brush on both Celebrity and Princess. Never saw where it was restricted in any "Passage contract"...and it was never an issue.

Hi Mafig......I would do exactly like you said......absolutely not deprive myself of going on a cruise, simply choose another line!!! I also don't know why this subject comes up so often on MSC......I must say, until I got a FINAL answer (yesterday) on the flat iron issue, I truly was considering booking another cruise line and even found the cruise we would book since we already had a flight to Miami booked. However, after many days of speaking with two PCC's at MSC, I was told that their supervisor said (and he sent me an email as well to confirm) that CURLING IRONS AND FLAT IRONS ARE ALLOWED onboard and will not be confiscated. I know this for sure about the Divina but not sure about other MSC ships as I was only asking about the Divina.

I would LOVE to be able to get my hair done at the salon everyday but just can't justify spending extra money going to the salon daily, and it would would HAVE to be daily as I have short curly hair that can't be left undone in humidity.......wish the big rollers were an option also (I used to do that when my hair was long, before flat irons were invented) but with short hair, that is not an option either.

Anyway, the FLAT IRON AND CURLING IRON PROBLEM IS SOLVED! Yeah:) Enjoy your cruise!!:)

Hi Mafig......I would do exactly like you said......absolutely not deprive myself of going on a cruise, simply choose another line!!! I also don't know why this subject comes up so often on MSC......I must say, until I got a FINAL answer (yesterday) on the flat iron issue, I truly was considering booking another cruise line and even found the cruise we would book since we already had a flight to Miami booked. However, after many days of speaking with two PCC's at MSC, I was told that their supervisor said (and he sent me an email as well to confirm) that CURLING IRONS AND FLAT IRONS ARE ALLOWED onboard and will not be confiscated. I know this for sure about the Divina but not sure about other MSC ships as I was only asking about the Divina.

I would LOVE to be able to get my hair done at the salon everyday but just can't justify spending extra money going to the salon daily, and it would would HAVE to be daily as I have short curly hair that can't be left undone in humidity.......wish the big rollers were an option also (I used to do that when my hair was long, before flat irons were invented) but with short hair, that is not an option either.

Anyway, the FLAT IRON AND CURLING IRON PROBLEM IS SOLVED! Yeah:) Enjoy your cruise!!:)

Thank you for that response! I saw nowhere in the T&C where they mention hair appliances....they did mention kettles, bottle warmers, etc.

I was bringing mine anyway because I have to have it too! My hair is very curly and I do let it do it's thing sometimes in the hot, humid Florida summers, but want the option of smoothing it out.

Is there anyway that you can post (or forward) the email from the supervisor about these appliances? suzyed at aol

Edited by suzyed