Paying for Cheers with gift cards

ncshp955

I called the number on the Carnival web site for the Fun Stores and inquired about paying for Cheers with Carnival gift cards. The woman I spoke to told me that you can't on line but that you could use them on board. I explained to her that I was trying to pay the reduced early buy price and she said that as long as you used the gift cards on board that they would honor the reduced price. Has anyone had this happen to them? I really don't mind waiting if they really do honor the reduced price on board.:confused:

I called the number on the Carnival web site for the Fun Stores and inquired about paying for Cheers with Carnival gift cards. The woman I spoke to told me that you can't on line but that you could use them on board. I explained to her that I was trying to pay the reduced early buy price and she said that as long as you used the gift cards on board that they would honor the reduced price. Has anyone had this happen to them? I really don't mind waiting if they really do honor the reduced price on board.:confused:

I am 99.9% sure you were misinformed by her. :(

I am kinda thinking the same thing, but I asked her twice and she said they would honor the price. Got a feeling it is going to cost me about $100.00 find out that she was wrong but at least I got a couple of extra gift cards in case I need them.

Have you tried using the gift card online? I have used them to pay for the cruise obviously and it accepts them (and was going to use it to pay for something else I planned on buying ahead of time so was wondering now that you brought this up). :confused:

The only way to pay for cheers or bottomless bubbles with gift cards is on board. You cannot purchase online or over the phone and I have seen multiple threads on here from people saying they do not honor the discounted price once on board. You pay the full price unless you purchase on the 2nd day of your cruise. So pretty much what you saved getting the gift card you will spend paying the increased price on the ship. Same thing happened to me. :(

The only way to pay for cheers or bottomless bubbles with gift cards is on board. You cannot purchase online or over the phone and I have seen multiple threads on here from people saying they do not honor the discounted price once on board. You pay the full price unless you purchase on the 2nd day of your cruise. So pretty much what you saved getting the gift card you will spend paying the increased price on the ship. Same thing happened to me. :(

Well that sucks. I also didn't realize you get a discount price if you purchase ahead of time? How much of a discount? Also, when you check in at the port and get your card, if you have purchased it ahead of time, do they go ahead and put the sticker on your card for it and you can start using it right away?

Well that sucks. I also didn't realize you get a discount price if you purchase ahead of time? How much of a discount? Also, when you check in at the port and get your card, if you have purchased it ahead of time, do they go ahead and put the sticker on your card for it and you can start using it right away?

If you buy it on board the cost is $54.95 per day plus 15% gratuity. if you buy it before the cost is $49.95 per day plus 15% gratuity. So the savings for buying it ahead of time is $5.75 per day.

We did not get the stickers on our card when we checked in but the first time we went to the bar the bartender put it on our cards.

Have you tried using the gift card online? I have used them to pay for the cruise obviously and it accepts them (and was going to use it to pay for something else I planned on buying ahead of time so was wondering now that you brought this up). :confused:

You cannot use gift cards to pay for the Cheers package online.

If you buy it on board the cost is $54.95 per day plus 15% gratuity. if you buy it before the cost is $49.95 per day plus 15% gratuity. So the savings for buying it ahead of time is $5.75 per day.

We did not get the stickers on our card when we checked in but the first time we went to the bar the bartender put it on our cards.

Unfortunately that all but eliminates the advantage of buying GCs at 10% off. I think I calculated it as saving $.50 per day per person to use the GCs. I don't think it's worth my time to stand in line on board to do that.

Unfortunately that all but eliminates the advantage of buying GCs at 10% off. I think I calculated it as saving $.50 per day per person to use the GCs. I don't think it's worth my time to stand in line on board to do that.

I agree, it is not worth it for the 10% off cards. I have $75 in GC that I paid $60 for on an Ebay sale a couple weeks ago. For my upcoming four day I would be slightly ahead if I used those and the rest was covered with my 10% off cards...... but like you said not worth standing in line to save a couple bucks.

For anyone who is not cruising until the end of the year or later, this info might be good news for you.

I asked Carnival if they were working on a way to use gift cards to pay for Fun Shop purchases (including Cheers) ahead of a cruise, and their response was "Yes, it's something that we are working on but we don't expect it to be ready until the end of the year. - Mischelle"

I cruise on Dec 31st, and I have a couple gift cards from AARP, so I'm going to wait until closer to our cruise date and hope that I can use the gift cards for Cheers prior to the cruise.

If they really do implement this change, it will make those discounted gift cards all the more beneficial. Crossing my fingers!!

Does this rule also apply for purchasing a bottle of liquor or bottles of water from the Funshop prior to sailing?

Yes. Currently, you can not use gift cards for any Fun Shop items prior to sailing.

For anyone who is not cruising until the end of the year or later, this info might be good news for you.

I asked Carnival if they were working on a way to use gift cards to pay for Fun Shop purchases (including Cheers) ahead of a cruise, and their response was "Yes, it's something that we are working on but we don't expect it to be ready until the end of the year. - Mischelle"

I cruise on Dec 31st, and I have a couple gift cards from AARP, so I'm going to wait until closer to our cruise date and hope that I can use the gift cards for Cheers prior to the cruise.

If they really do implement this change, it will make those discounted gift cards all the more beneficial. Crossing my fingers!!

I wouldn't be surprised if the cost for Cheers! online goes up right around the time the gift cards can be used. If Carnival is losing 10% (or more) on selling the cards they are going to find a way to make it up. Even the cards that are not sold at a discount cost them $$. I will be very happy if I'm wrong.

Gift cards have never been able to be used for payment for bon voyage items. Before they made cheers cheaper to buy online, after, and regardless of using gift cards. It's always been a credit card only as a form of payment for any bon voyage or fun shop purchases.

If you are buying discounted gift cards just to pay for cheers, then stop buying them as the discount is wiped out by the inability to pre-purchase the package. But you can use them for payment on everything else, so they are still a good deal.

IF I buy Cheers, it will be on day two onboard. And if I decide to buy a bottle, I will order it once the ship sets sail. And in both cases, I will be able to use my gift cards which by then would have been added to my s&s account. We can get by just fine on the wine you are allowed to bring onboard and a few drinks in the meantime. Or I will just pay per drink. Either way, I'm only using my gift cards.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I wouldn't be surprised if the cost for Cheers! online goes up right around the time the gift cards can be used. If Carnival is losing 10% (or more) on selling the cards they are going to find a way to make it up. Even the cards that are not sold at a discount cost them $$. I will be very happy if I'm wrong.

It won't go up, rather the price will be the same for pre-purchasing as buying onboard. And for as much of a fan I am of gift cards, and I use them for everything Carnival, I think that would be very unfair to folks who don't use them who buy the package in advance.

Thanks for the information. We don't do the booze package (could never drink that much in a day and not worth the cost to us) but was referring to the bottomless bubbles. Do you know the difference in that?

What the woman told you is correct - you CAN use gift cards to purchase the CHEERS package once onboard at the discounted rate as long as you have enough gift cards to cover the ENTIRE cost of the package.

If you are even $1 short you will not be given the discount so make sure you have enough to cover the entire package.

In addition, depending on the sail date of your cruise, Carnival is actively working on getting the system set up to enable you to use gift cards for Fun Shop purchases and as stated above hope to have it live by the 4th quarter.

No worries - have fun!

What the woman told you is correct - you CAN use gift cards to purchase the CHEERS package once onboard at the discounted rate as long as you have enough gift cards to cover the ENTIRE cost of the package.

If you are even $1 short you will not be given the discount so make sure you have enough to cover the entire package.

In addition, depending on the sail date of your cruise, Carnival is actively working on getting the system set up to enable you to use gift cards for Fun Shop purchases and as stated above hope to have it live by the 4th quarter.

No worries - have fun!

Thanks for the info. I do have more than enough to cover the package so that is not a problem and since I don't sail for over a year hopefully it will moot point if they do get the system up.

• 6 months later...

I just now checked and discovered if you are purchasing the cheers program online pre cruise you now can use gift cards as a form of payment! I couldn't get the system to work using firefox browser, so I opened up IE and went through the motions like I was going to purchase Cheers and walla, just like magic, option appeared to "use gift card"!!! :D

I didn't continue yet because I'm waiting on gift cards to come in the mail, but I wanted to post this experience. I know it's been a real issue for some to pay once on board using gift cards and receiving the pre cruise discounted price. Happy cruising everyone!!!

I just now checked and discovered if you are purchasing the cheers program online pre cruise you now can use gift cards as a form of payment! I couldn't get the system to work using firefox browser, so I opened up IE and went through the motions like I was going to purchase Cheers and walla, just like magic, option appeared to "use gift card"!!! :D

I didn't continue yet because I'm waiting on gift cards to come in the mail, but I wanted to post this experience. I know it's been a real issue for some to pay once on board using gift cards and receiving the pre cruise discounted price. Happy cruising everyone!!!

I had my gift cards because I'm sailing in 8 days (WOO!) and I was able to pre-purchase Cheers on the website with all gift cards. SO HAPPY!

If this is true, I'll be doing this this evening!

If this is true, I'll be doing this this evening!

It worked fine for me! I was using Chrome as my browser...I don't know if that matters like another person mentioned earlier. Also I already had Cheers in my cart and it worked fine, however my Mom also already had Cheers in her cart and had to remove it and add it again in order to see the option to pay via gift card. Just our experience in case that helps others!