Onboard Account Deposit

If you have not paid the gratuities, you must assume that your deposit will have to at least cover them - as well as estimated on-board spending ---- since I understand that the only way you can avoid paying the gratuities on NCL is by paying them on board, and then claiming a refund AFTER debarking.

Have you really understood their website: did it make clear the length of cruise for which that $300 would apply? Did it make it clear whether it assumed that gratuities had been pre-paid? Finally, if you are correct in quoting $300 as

"... THE MINIMUM AMOUNT DEPOSIT YOU NEED..." why are you asking about them asking for more ? "MINIMUM" means at least that much, and posdibly more.

If you have been told that you will not be able to board unless you deposit $700 per person, I suggest that you bring $700 per person.

Apparently cruise line reps are notorious for giving false information and no I do not believe them when they tell me I won't be allowed to board if i don't bring $700. So I am going to play a little poker with them and beat them at their own game. The way they are giving information out to their costumers is disturbing and unprofessional.

Edited by miamicruising1991

Having a higher limit credit card is not something that is enjoyed by too many, yet people still manage. Being on a tight budget is not at all unusual these days (and if only those that weren't on a tight budget traveled the industry would collapse).

One of my most vivid memories of many many years ago, was seeing a parked air ambulance at the main base ski lift in Kitzbuhel, Austria. On each side of the helicopter beneath the horizontal arms of a very large Red Cross were the icon logos for Visa and Master Card.

Subjecting oneself or family members to possible refusal of anything more than critical first aid is totally irresponsible. Even with primary payer medical insurance (that covers you abroad), many international providers require up front payment - no ifs, ands or buts.

As for the travel industry collapsing because folks can't get a credit card, a little self-correction in any industry can be a very good thing. I don't think many savvy travelers/tourists would be upset if the building boom for grossly oversized ships came to a screeching halt.

One of my most vivid memories of many many years ago, was seeing a parked air ambulance at the main base ski lift in Kitzbuhel, Austria. On each side of the helicopter beneath the horizontal arms of a very large Red Cross were the icon logos for Visa and Master Card.

Subjecting oneself or family members to possible refusal of anything more than critical first aid is totally irresponsible. Even with primary payer medical insurance (that covers you abroad), many international providers require up front payment - no ifs, ands or buts.

As for the travel industry collapsing because folks can't get a credit card, a little self-correction in any industry can be a very good thing. I don't think many savvy travelers/tourists would be upset if the building boom for grossly oversized ships came to a screeching halt.

As laudable as your position is there are a large number of people that travel without the wherewithal to deal with a big emergency if it arose. I said travel industry, and I'm not limiting my remarks to only the cruise line segment, since airlines would be sharply impacted also if people on tight budgets didn't travel.

We have used cash on every cruise we have taken on RCCL & Carnival. When checking in to get our cards we tell the person we will be using cash and have had no problems. Once we board the ship we go to Customer Relations and put down a $600 deposit. We check our account daily and adjust as necessary by putting more money down if needed. Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise!:D

As laudable as your position is there are a large number of people that travel without the wherewithal to deal with a big emergency if it arose. I said travel industry, and I'm not limiting my remarks to only the cruise line segment, since airlines would be sharply impacted also if people on tight budgets didn't travel.

Airlines really do not need people who cannot pay their way. If someone with a cash-purchased ticket missed a flight and had to pay more for a later flight but had neither sufficient cash nor credit card, I very much doubt that the airline would do any more than refund the cash (even assuming it WAS refundable) so the passenger could take a bus.

Getting back to cruise lines - the last thing a line wants is to be stuck with someone who runs up expenses without being able to pay. As an extreme example: a passenger who paid minimal cash, used it up, then suffered a medical emergency on a sea day. Treatment could not be refused - so the line eats the cost.

Losing passengers who cannot pay their way - or even do enough on board spending to let the line make a profit - is not going to seriously impact cruise lines - who have every right to cover themselves against non-payment.

No line needs a passenger who plans to spend less than $10 per day (after gratuities).

Airlines really do not need people who cannot pay their way. If someone with a cash-purchased ticket missed a flight and had to pay more for a later flight but had neither sufficient cash nor credit card, I very much doubt that the airline would do any more than refund the cash (even assuming it WAS refundable) so the passenger could take a bus.

Getting back to cruise lines - the last thing a line wants is to be stuck with someone who runs up expenses without being able to pay. As an extreme example: a passenger who paid minimal cash, used it up, then suffered a medical emergency on a sea day. Treatment could not be refused - so the line eats the cost.

Losing passengers who cannot pay their way - or even do enough on board spending to let the line make a profit - is not going to seriously impact cruise lines - who have every right to cover themselves against non-payment.

No line needs a passenger who plans to spend less than $10 per day (after gratuities).

You missed the point that I was making- I said that if "if only those that weren't on a tight budget traveled the industry would collapse". The way our society it people don't put off what they can do today and will even go into debt to take that dream vacation. If they all stayed home it might not cause the travel industry to collapse (a little hyperbole on my part) but it would have a significant impact.

And like any business cruise lines have mechanisms they may use to protect themselves, including having passengers taken into custody following the cruise if necessary.

And like any business cruise lines have mechanisms they may use to protect themselves, including having passengers taken into custody following the cruise if necessary.

I hope you are not suggesting that a cruise line would be reluctant to deny boarding to someone who did not bring the cash deposit requested --- but would attempt to have them taken into custody?

I hope you are not suggesting that a cruise line would be reluctant to deny boarding to someone who did not bring the cash deposit requested --- but would attempt to have them taken into custody?

Not at all, I'm talking about a passenger that runs up a huge bill onboard without being able to pay for it. It doesn't happen often with the checks and balances that are in place but I have read of it happening. As I said with cash deposits the charging privileges are suspended as soon as the limit has been reached so there is little danger in that individual charging things they can't pay for.

Cash/Traveler's Checks Procedures you can deposit cash or US Traveler's Checks into your onboard account.

A cash deposit may be placed on your account in the following amounts:

• 7 day cruises - $300/person
  • Less than 7 days - $150/person
  • More than 7 days - $450/person

I don't see no where in their website where they state that I need to deposit $1400 upon checking in at the pier. It only says $300/person. All I ask is that when I ask a question to be straight forward and the rep agents are obviously confused or dont know what their talking about if their own website says $300 not $1400.

I went on NCL's website and saw the same schedule - dated 2010.

I was not able to find anything more recent - perhaps if you checked their site for booked passengers you might get more recent confirmation.

Given the way NCL has been "evolving" policies recently, I would be surprised if they had not tightened things up a bit. I would prefer not having to tie up $1,400 if it were not necessary but you may want to be able to in case it were necessary.

Anyway, this is not the place to get definitive information/advice - none of us will be standing behind you at check in - so you need to get confirmed information you will be comfortable with.

Finally: get a credit card!

....and how will you know when you get the right answer?

Consenus? Total votes? When you get the answer you like? :rolleyes:

It's a pretty simple question. I called NCL and they confirmed that it is $300 upon checking in. So that should be the right answer correct? Or could it be $1400, $250, $700, or $100? Such a simple question and mixed answers all over the place from their own employees and chat reps.

You have it in writing from the website that it is $300 per person & from the phone rep so take $600 when you check in & enjoy the cruise

I have a low credit limit credit card if you can get one I would for cases like this

I have a limit of $1000.

People that do not pay their accounts the cruise line is not going to "eat it"

You sign an agreement before you are allowed off the ship to pay it

an I.O.U as it were

You have it in writing from the website that it is $300 per person & from the phone rep so take $600 when you check in & enjoy the cruise

I have a low credit limit credit card if you can get one I would for cases like this

I have a limit of $1000.

People that do not pay their accounts the cruise line is not going to "eat it"

You sign an agreement before you are allowed off the ship to pay it

an I.O.U as it were

I am cruising solo. I have the UBP and only plan on doing a couple shore excursions, therefore I won't be spending money on anything else since I got the drinks, food, and shore excursion credit. I'm cruising to relax not spend more money. $300 is all I'm bringing with me.

I am cruising solo. I have the UBP and only plan on doing a couple shore excursions, therefore I won't be spending money on anything else since I got the drinks, food, and shore excursion credit. I'm cruising to relax not spend more money. $300 is all I'm bringing with me.

Enjoy the cruise then

Cash/Traveler's Checks Procedures you can deposit cash or US Traveler's Checks into your onboard account.

A cash deposit may be placed on your account in the following amounts:

• 7 day cruises - $300/person
  • Less than 7 days - $150/person
  • More than 7 days - $450/person

I don't see no where in their website where they state that I need to deposit $1400 upon checking in at the pier. It only says $300/person. All I ask is that when I ask a question to be straight forward and the rep agents are obviously confused or dont know what their talking about if their own website says $300 not $1400.

I was referring to the $700 YOU keep mentioning.

I don't get it. If you have cruised before how is it you don't understand the way it works? How is it that you have received a LOT of responses and you ARGUE over each one. Maybe, just maybe, that is why you don't understand the answer to such a simple question.

Everyone - there is no point going on about this. The OP has had his/her answer and .... well at this point I do believe I smell a troll.

Edited by notentirelynormal

I was referring to the $700 YOU keep mentioning.

I don't get it. If you have cruised before how is it you don't understand the way it works? How is it that you have received a LOT of responses and you ARGUE over each one. Maybe, just maybe, that is why you don't understand the answer to such a simple question.

Everyone - there is no point going on about this. The OP has had his/her answer and .... well at this point I do believe I smell a troll.

Because its my first time ever using cash only? On all my other cruises I've used cards and never even had to worry about this, now i do.

You smell a troll? Wrong thread buddy nothing troll about this just someone with concerns. Go look for your troll elsewhere.