Onboard Account Deposit

I've asked so many different people this exact same question and I've gotten 10 different responses... WHY? Is it so hard to explain this?

Pretend you are all checking in and you approach the Lady/Gentlemen they ask you for a deposit for your onboard account. You tell them you only have cash and you didnt bring any credit/debit cards with you... How MUCH is the initial deposit going to be for a 7 day cruise ship?

I've asked agents and they've told me is 100 per person per day, $300 per person, $1400 for 2 people, $250 per person??? What is going on!?!?!?! Why all the Mixed answers for the same question!??!?!?!

CAN SOMEONE WITH EXPERIENCE TELL ME HOW MUCH AM I GOING TO NEED TO DEPOSIT ON THE FIRST DAY WHEN CHECKING IN THE PIER!?

Thanks for your help. :D:confused:

Might depend on cruise line but usually $300 total, for two people. I don't know if more for more people. When that is used, by daily gratuity or charges you've made, then you'll be notified to add more.

Might depend on cruise line but usually $300 total, for two people. I don't know if more for more people. When that is used, by daily gratuity or charges you've made, then you'll be notified to add more.

Thank you why are Agents no as knowledgeable as you? They are AGENTS for god sakes!!! What is going on???? Are they robots?:confused:

Thank you why are Agents no as knowledgeable as you? They are AGENTS for god sakes!!! What is going on???? Are they robots?:confused:

Many agents have never cruised. Also, many quote the written policy of $100 per person per day but that isn't enforced in actuality.

You'll find that cruise line phone reps are often not knowledgeable about questions outside of making reservations.

The agent doesn't work on the ship so they don't know the specifics most likely. I'm guessing it's up to each ship to make the decision on how much to require based on its amenities. It also is probably dependent t on room type since gratuities are also typically charged to the room as well.

Honestly i would not trust them with my cash as much as a credit card. You can dispute charges of something comes up wrong when is time to go home. If your account is over and needs payment it could hold you up from getting off the ship since they will not let you exit until they feel they are paid in full.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 7 edge using Tapatalk.

Many agents have never cruised. Also, many quote the written policy of $100 per person per day but that isn't enforced in actuality.

You'll find that cruise line phone reps are often not knowledgeable about questions outside of making reservations.

I spoke with a online rep on live chat, he told me he called Norwegian and Norwegian Rep told him that I would need 100 per day per person and that I would have to pay 700 when checking in or I wouldn't be allowed to board the ship... That made no sense to me... Like what??? There website says $300!!!!!!

Edited by miamicruising1991

I spoke with a online rep on live chat, he told me he called Norwegian and Norwegian Rep told him that I would need 100 per day per person and that I would have to pay 700 when checking in or I wouldn't be allowed to board the ship... That made no sense to me... Like what??? There website says $300!!!!!!

Any possibility to use a credit card to check in and then pay the balance in cash at the end of your cruise? This makes it much easier on many who prefer to actually use cash.

Any possibility to use a credit card to check in and then pay the balance in cash at the end of your cruise? This makes it much easier on many who prefer to actually use cash.

No chance as I do not own no credit cards. Only cash for this cruise, Its my first time using cash that's why im so worried. I use to hand them my card and it was quick but now i need to know exactly how paying with cash works and online reps are telling me i need 700 per person when checking in or i wont be able to board the ship... how ridiculous is that?:(

No chance as I do not own no credit cards. Only cash for this cruise, Its my first time using cash that's why im so worried. I use to hand them my card and it was quick but now i need to know exactly how paying with cash works and online reps are telling me i need 700 per person when checking in or i wont be able to board the ship... how ridiculous is that?:(

In not sure why you think them asking for $700 upfront is ridiculous. It doesn't sound unreasonable to me. You are high risk with them having no means to collect if you physically don't have the cash. There are a lot of people out there just looking for ways to abuse the system.

Edited by sherilyn70

Have you already paid your gratuities? Do you have a drink plan or dinner plan paid for? If so, you'll can put on less.

Edited by SadieN

Have you already paid your gratuities? Do you have a drink plan or dinner plan paid for? If so, you'll can put on less.

Yes. I received the Promo UBP and Shore Excursion Credit. and no I haven't pre paid the gratuitys only the promo UBP. So for them to tell me that I won't be able to board the ship if i don't pay $700 per person is pretty ridiculous and disturbing since there website states that the minimum amount deposit you need is $300...

Edited by miamicruising1991

In not sure why you think them asking for $700 upfront is ridiculous. It doesn't sound unreasonable to me. You are high risk with them having no means to collect if you physically don't have the cash. There are a lot of people out there just looking for ways to abuse the system.

Why would they tell me that I won't be able to board if i dont pay $700 when Norwegians website says it's $300??? And Abuse the system? No way I've been crusing 4 times and never even abused anything... and for them to think then im going to abuse the system, How???? They have no right to tell me that i cant board the ship if all i want to deposit is $300 as their website says.

Why would they tell me that I won't be able to board if i dont pay $700 when Norwegians website says it's $300??? And Abuse the system? No way I've been crusing 4 times and never even abused anything... and for them to think then im going to abuse the system, How???? They have no right to tell me that i cant board the ship if all i want to deposit is $300 as their website says.

First, stop taking it personal. The PP didn't mean you in particular. Is it that hard to believe there are individuals out there that might cheat the cruise line?

Second, the cruise lines generally allows $100 a day in spending per person per day including the gratuities. That accounts for your $700. Times two in the cabin. Bring you brochure and show them the $300 thing and if that doesn't work call for a supervisor.

If their website says $300 then why are you asking the person on the phone? I'm very confused by this. Can you prove that what you found on the Web is accurate and current for your ship? Did you tell the person you talked to about what you read?

As for what they can and can't do, we'll they can do anything they wish. It's their rules and decision. You have the right to sue them if you feel they've violated some agreement or contact and you are denied your trip or lose money because of it. Why not just take the full amount with you to be safe?

First, stop taking it personal. The PP didn't mean you in particular. Is it that hard to believe there are individuals out there that might cheat the cruise line?

Second, the cruise lines generally allows $100 a day in spending per person per day including the gratuities. That accounts for your $700. Times two in the cabin. Bring you brochure and show them the $300 thing and if that doesn't work call for a supervisor.

Cash/Traveler's Checks Procedures you can deposit cash or US Traveler's Checks into your onboard account.

A cash deposit may be placed on your account in the following amounts:

• 7 day cruises - $300/person
  • Less than 7 days - $150/person
  • More than 7 days - $450/person

I don't see no where in their website where they state that I need to deposit $1400 upon checking in at the pier. It only says $300/person. All I ask is that when I ask a question to be straight forward and the rep agents are obviously confused or dont know what their talking about if their own website says $300 not $1400.

Cash/Traveler's Checks Procedures you can deposit cash or US Traveler's Checks into your onboard account.

A cash deposit may be placed on your account in the following amounts:

• 7 day cruises - $300/person
  • Less than 7 days - $150/person
  • More than 7 days - $450/person

I don't see no where in their website where they state that I need to deposit $1400 upon checking in at the pier. It only says $300/person. All I ask is that when I ask a question to be straight forward and the rep agents are obviously confused or dont know what their talking about if their own website says $300 not $1400.

Well if that's what the site says why all the drama, in fact why ask the question, print it out and take it with you.

Well if that's what the site says why all the drama, in fact why ask the question, print it out and take it with you.

because of all the mixed answers i've gotten on such a simple question. Its always better to be safe then sorry therefore i will ask away until i get the right answer and apparently the first person that replied gave me the right answer. I just find it annoying how not even their employees can give you a right answer.

First of all, there is no "cheating the line" involved- once the cash has been spent the account is turned off until more cash is deposited.

OP, when we cruised on the Gem our friend put a deposit of $152 on her account for the 7 day cruise. All service charges and excursions had been paid for before boarding. She had something like a $46 credit when the cruise was over (obviously not a big spender:)). As long as you cover the service charges with your deposit you'll be good to go ($12.95 per day per person).

because of all the mixed answers i've gotten on such a simple question. Its always better to be safe then sorry therefore i will ask away until i get the right answer and apparently the first person that replied gave me the right answer. I just find it annoying how not even their employees can give you a right answer.

So since it will be cash, which does not need to be spent and can be kept with you and returned for redeposit into your bank when you return, why not take the $700 just in case and then you'll have all bases covered? This way it won't matter which information was correct and you won't have to worry at boarding.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I've asked so many different people this exact same question and I've gotten 10 different responses... WHY? Is it so hard to explain this?

Pretend you are all checking in and you approach the Lady/Gentlemen they ask you for a deposit for your onboard account. You tell them you only have cash and you didnt bring any credit/debit cards with you... How MUCH is the initial deposit going to be for a 7 day cruise ship?

I've asked agents and they've told me is 100 per person per day, $300 per person, $1400 for 2 people, $250 per person??? What is going on!?!?!?! Why all the Mixed answers for the same question!??!?!?!

CAN SOMEONE WITH EXPERIENCE TELL ME HOW MUCH AM I GOING TO NEED TO DEPOSIT ON THE FIRST DAY WHEN CHECKING IN THE PIER!?

Thanks for your help. :D:confused:

Every cruise line is different.

WHEN YOU LET US KNOW THE CRUISE LINE YOU ARE SAILING SOMEONE MIGHT GIVE YOU AN ANSWER THAT YOU CAN UNDERSTAND.

For most lines it is $100 per person per day.

By the way I yelled back since you decided to yell at the rest of us.

Edited by zqvol

I see that you are fairly new to Cruise Critic....and so I would add to comments already give that....

cruise line phone reps are notorious for dispensing inaccurate information.

This is apparently your first experience with this phenomena...it won't be your last.

Sorry - but what is ridiculous is to travel without a credit card. In an emergency, where medical and/or transportation services are required, someone without a credit card (and a higher limit one at that) will be SOL.

They have every right to do that. If you do not like it, don't cruise with them. But most cruise lines will want a "security deposit" from anybody paying with cash only.

Sorry - but what is ridiculous is to travel without a credit card. In an emergency, where medical and/or transportation services are required, someone without a credit card (and a higher limit one at that) will be SOL.

Having a higher limit credit card is not something that is enjoyed by too many, yet people still manage. Being on a tight budget is not at all unusual these days (and if only those that weren't on a tight budget traveled the industry would collapse).

Yes. I received the Promo UBP and Shore Excursion Credit. and no I haven't pre paid the gratuitys only the promo UBP. So for them to tell me that I won't be able to board the ship if i don't pay $700 per person is pretty ridiculous and disturbing since there website states that the minimum amount deposit you need is $300...

If you have not paid the gratuities, you must assume that your deposit will have to at least cover them - as well as estimated on-board spending ---- since I understand that the only way you can avoid paying the gratuities on NCL is by paying them on board, and then claiming a refund AFTER debarking.

Have you really understood their website: did it make clear the length of cruise for which that $300 would apply? Did it make it clear whether it assumed that gratuities had been pre-paid? Finally, if you are correct in quoting $300 as

"... THE MINIMUM AMOUNT DEPOSIT YOU NEED..." why are you asking about them asking for more ? "MINIMUM" means at least that much, and posdibly more.

If you have been told that you will not be able to board unless you deposit $700 per person, I suggest that you bring $700 per person.