Gunmen rob tourists on Amazon riverboat cruise

G.M.T.

At this point, I am raising awareness and getting back what I am rightfully owed - once I have that then I will go further in relation to emergency and security (or lack of) ie. other social media sites.

Unfortunately in developing nations - they are just not up to our Countries (expected) safety and security standards. As an example, yesterday at the Olympic Village (Australian accommodation) - a fire started but as the smoke detectors did not work/go off and raise the alarm, there was a delay in evacuating. Nobody got hurt - but it could have been quite serious.

At this point, I am raising awareness and getting back what I am rightfully owed

As a data point of value to future travelers, on what we often (perhaps wrongly) believe to be a relatively simple point, isn't the matter of recovering the material assets lost just an insurance claim?

That's another point in itself - our insurance company is requiring that we claim through the river cruise company first before we lodge a claim through our own (if required). We are still waiting further instructions from the river cruise company.

Also a point to note - no formal police report or report number has been provided to me - makes it very difficult to start our own claim without that?

Thanks for the reply, it prompted me to read the fine print on our policy.

It threw out a few points that may be well known to some, but I'll mention them here just in case.

Antiques - Not covered (or defined)...

Uncut gems - Not covered.

Mobile phones - Not covered.

Business equipment - Only items owned by you and used in your business are covered, so make sure anything provided to you by your company are properly covered by the company for the destinations you visit, laptop for example...

Requirement for police report as previously mentioned.

Terrorism exclusion - Make sure those who rob you have no political or social change motivation for doing so or the theft is not covered...

On a more general note, the personal liability cover had some interesting exclusions. This item would cover your liability to 3rd parties and will usually provide several million $ of cover, but for example if the camel/horse/elephant you are riding tramples and kills someone while under your 'control' you will find you are not covered. Same goes for various buggy/kart/quad bikes etc.

Interesting reading for sure...

All points quite true. Like most insurances - you always get caught on the exclusions. Makes you wonder why you have it? For our insurance - if the money was not on our person then we are not covered - the money was in our safe - that is not insured....madness.

We have previously conducted consulting work in the Congo and Zambia - we took out Medical and Security insurance through 'Global Rescue'. We did not think that we would need it for personal holidays. One thing for sure - if we had them in place at the time, we could have accessed the 'extraction' service. I will never go with any other insurance policy AGAIN, that doesn't include the 'security' assistance - sign of the times.

We have been robbed in Vietnam (last year) aswell - you think you become smarter each time something happens....how far do you go before you just give up traveling. We have an amazing natural rainforest in Australia - Daintree (alot safer than the Amazon!).

I would think many people are deciding to rediscover the beauty in their own country especially in Australia. we often overlook places close by for perceived wonders overseas.

we love the history of places in Europe and have enjoyed many trips in Asia and the pacific so many choices.

Australia can be expensive for travel because of distances and high labour costs, and maybe the reason locals go overseas for holidays. I agree some of the best food/wine/accommodation is available and beautiful scenery.

your experience is 1 that needs to be told as a warning to others of potential problems, insurance and assumptions around duty of care.

We love travelling, all for the same reasons. Like alot of people on cruise critic - children have grown up and now spending time travelling but also want a bit of luxury.

Just seems you are scammed in developing nations for wanting that - River boat companies who think that they can provide the glitz but no security/systems behind. Pirates seeing the lack of systems as an opportunity to rob us - usually thinking would be, 'they have insurance - they can afford it'? Even having to pay money to go to a toilet in a restaurant you are dining in.

There is a point where you say enough is enough. I am all for helping developing communities become sustainable but I can't keep my wallet open, ready to be taken for a ride.

I know Australia is an expensive place to get to for most travellers. Every time I get on the Qantas plane (especially this time) - I realise how lucky I am to live in the 'lucky country'.

Good grief, the saga continues! Well, Pelago I hope you get your recompense eventually. I'm just so glad (sorry) that this happened before we booked. Now we'll just stay in Lima for a couple of extra days. I do feel sorry for anyone who is currently booked. At least through the one big agency, deposits are non-refundable.

As I am remembering back to our vantage trip on the Amazon Discovery we were told that there was need l to lock our cabin doors!! So sad to hear that staff may have been involved would like to see that issue addressed by Delfin.