Gunmen rob tourists on Amazon riverboat cruise

G.M.T.

For those who want to avoid the Peruvian river cruises where the awful attack occurred and still want a small river cruise experience in the Amazon basin, two luxurious river boats cruise on the Napo river in Ecuador. The Napo is a tributary of the Amazon.

We've thought about the Ecuador trip, since we will be in Ecuador this winter. Unfortunately for us it involves flying through Quito, and high altitudes are not for us.

Refer to the below link, just so you can see the gravity of the corruption....http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=7131

We've decided not to do this trip. Usually we are not afraid of a little risk, but this just doesn't feel right.

I will keep these posts going as long as possible - I wish that I had this information - I would have made the same decision as yourself.

Did any of the passengers get interviewed by the police? How did Avalon react to passenger comments that it seemed like members of the crew were involved?

This is the thread for discussion of the recent attack on the Amazon river cruise. Everyone is welcome to continue this discussion as long as they like. Posts on this topic on other threads will be moved here [and duplicate posts will be de-duped]

The senior police came on board 20 minutes before we were about to leave. We were told that if we wanted to make a statement that we would miss the last flight out of Iquitos. What do you think our decision was??

Avalon are not the cruise boat owners - Delfin are. Sadly, it seems that everything has been swept under the rug and business as per usual.

I will continue these posts to ensure that doesn't happen - it shouldn't have happened to us?

The senior police came on board 20 minutes before we were about to leave. We were told that if we wanted to make a statement that we would miss the last flight out of Iquitos. What do you think our decision was??

Avalon are not the cruise boat owners - Delfin are. Sadly, it seems that everything has been swept under the rug and business as per usual.

I will continue these posts to ensure that doesn't happen - it shouldn't have happened to us?

Even though Avalon is not the boat owners, the cruise was sold under the Avalon name. This is very troublesome to me, that it seems to be an inside job. I am most disturbed about the actions/attitude of the Cruise Director.

The emergency duress ie. GPRS was switched off during the hijack. The boat company was informed of a suspected attack one week prior - they did nothing about it. The police were not informed until nearly 2 hours after the armed robbery. I am so angry at their lack of duty of care and due diligence.

Very serious allegations have been made both here and within comments on the Cruise Critic “News” page, about an easily identifiable person (the Cruise Director). Avalon and Delfin should be doing all they can to prosecute or exonerate that individual. Until they do, river cruises out of Iquitos will suffer even more than it would from a “mere” robbery. My friends think that I’m nuts enough to go anywhere, but I’d not be [again] doing a river boat out of Iquitos until this charge is looked into and resolved.

I sympathize with the mental trauma undergone by the victims of the Amazon robbery, and am glad that it was possessions (which can be replaced) that were taken, rather than lives. However I do think that it is naïve to take a plethora of valuables to a poor, relatively un-policed area. On the Cruise Critic “News” page there is mention of an $8000 heirloom gold necklace being stolen; it is nuts to take that on an Amazon River cruise. According to what I am now reading the average passenger on this boat was robbed of goods equal a year’s (or more) income of the average Peruvian (and multiple years of income for people who live in that part of Peru). Did the perpetrators have the “right” to these goods? – of course not, but I can understand the motivation of the robbers to feed their families a lot more than I can understand why Bernie Madoff (a billionaire) felt he should steal additional billions.

I also think that it is incredibly naïve (I could use other words) to confront someone who is alleged to be in on the robbery in the absence of authorities. Dead men tell no tales; if what has been written actually transpired, someone is very lucky to be alive.

In reply to several comments, no, I still do not understand why in this age of easily available, inexpensive electronic funds transfers, anyone would be carrying large sums of legitimately acquired cash. There are lots of ATMs in every city in South America (including Iquitos) and in many towns. Many Peruvian ATMs even give you a choice of Soles or US Dollars.

We've thought about the Ecuador trip, since we will be in Ecuador this winter. Unfortunately for us it involves flying through Quito, and high altitudes are not for us.

We've decided not to do this trip. Usually we are not afraid of a little risk, but this just doesn't feel right.

The Quito airport is brand new and at a lower altitude than the city. You could also fly to the Napo on the same day. It's only a 30 minute flight. The Napo and Ecuador are completely different from Peru. I would hate to see them lumped in the same category. But of course, you have to do what feels right for you.

I fully understand your apprehension about high altitude. I have needed medical attention both in Cusco and Lhasa. Unfortunately, my plans for Bolivia had to be scrapped for this reason.

The emergency duress ie. GPRS was switched off during the hijack. The boat company was informed of a suspected attack one week prior - they did nothing about it. The police were not informed until nearly 2 hours after the armed robbery. I am so angry at their lack of duty of care and due diligence.

What has Avalon done for the passengers that were on this trip? I think I have read that they indicated that their insurance would cover passenger losses. Have they offered anything else?

TravelerThom - don't know where you are getting your information from? Where is the $8,000 heirloom coming from? Think you are a bit confused by different posts online. I am quite aware what an ATM is - we only had $600 US and $500 Soles on us...so once again not sure why I need a lecture on how much money I need?

Maybe, as you are doing your research, you missed this - people who hijacked the boat are called PIRATES - official name - 'Piratas del Rio'. They are not like robin hood - give to the poor and needy - they keep it for themselves and drugs.

The pirates came in and knew exactly where certain items where - including that our safe was open (the prongs of the safe were locked in the fully extended position - so we would not have been able to reset/close again). Why was it open - leave that to you.

Please note - all my comments are designed to do, is to make travelers more aware of risks and maybe lack of contingencies available in the event of an incident. Having ACCURATE (not here say) information, will allow you to make your own decision, as to whether this is the right trip for you. We have been on plenty of sea cruises and about 3 river boat cruises. We will do the sea cruises again but never river boat - unfortunately, you don't know what an operator has or not in place to help you - until it really matters. You can say this will never happen to me but I said that aswell!

TravelerThom - don't know where you are getting your information from? Where is the $8,000 heirloom coming from?

Douglas Stone, a passenger on the same ship, wrote:

"One passenger alone wore a $8,000 gold heirloom necklace. My wife and I lost nearly $10,000 total."

See the comments at the bottom of the article.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7131

$10,000 in total doesn't state CASH. In relation to the heirloom - like my mother-in-law, some older people have bad arthritis and can not get rings off - unless crew who assisted robbers got soap and pulled it off their fingers! My mother-in-law has two gold/plain bands on her fingers from her mother - she can't get those off - unless you cut her fingers/break them.

http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=6946 this link and comments are about another terrible incident on the amazon resulting in death of 2 passengers. the family have commented and it is heartbreaking. no smoke alarms apparently.

more needs to be done re safety. ignorance of potential dangers means these forums are invaluable to inform.

Quite agree - no matter how much is taken - the lack of duty of care and due diligence ie. risk planning and contingency by cruise boat operators is crucial. My heart goes out to the families from the previous incident.

One thing we all thought was very odd - we were given a diamond window glass cutter in our room to break the window - now I know why....based on the couple that died on the boat from the fire. A window glass cutter is certainly not going to help you for an armed robbery....mmm window glass cutter versus gun??

On speaking to the cruise company this morning about our refund and claims - they also said that the information about having prior knowledge about the piracy threat provided by the police to the cruise boat company was a lie.....once again, make your own mind up?

Don't you think other than getting these people home it might be too soon for Avalon to do much of anything yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not really. I would have expected to have already given them a framework for the support that they would provide. In most cases where a company ends up doing anything they tend to provide the information early in the process.

I would expect that the travelers would know by now if:

1. they were getting a full refund

2. Avalon was picking up all of their out of pocket expense for the travel home

3. Refund any tickets that were scheduled for the end of the trip that were no longer useable

4. pay for full replacement of their valuables

I would expect those questions to be answered very quickly and as part of the process of getting them home.

There are other questions that may take more time such as the actual process. But those points should be addressed very early.

Edited by RDC1

Not really. I would have expected to have already given them a framework for the support that they would provide. In most cases where a company ends up doing anything they tend to provide the information early in the process.

I would expect that the travelers would know by now if:

1. they were getting a full refund

2. Avalon was picking up all of their out of pocket expense for the travel home

3. Refund any tickets that were scheduled for the end of the trip that were no longer useable

4. pay for full replacement of their valuables

I would expect those questions to be answered very quickly and as part of the process of getting them home.

There are other questions that may take more time such as the actual process. But those points should be addressed very early.

I sure these questions are starting to be answered but only those on this cruise are going to know that process. I believe that Avalon will do the right thing but in situations this horrible can anything ever be enough to make things right? I don't think so. No matter what is offered and paid Avalon will be the bad guys.

JMHO of course, as I was not there...

I would just like to stress that Avalon are NOT the cruise operators - Delfin are the cruise owners and operators. Avalon purchased space for its cruise passengers but not all of the tourists were with Avalon - we were not?

Regardless of whether you booked direct or through Avalon - we are ALL claiming refunds direct with Delfin.

I used to be a Tour Manager for Globus Gateway Cosmos and I know the risk assessment process that we would need to conduct on each operator before we engaged them. I hold a Masters in Security, Risk and Safety - if I was undertaking an operator risk assessment on this organisation prior to engagement then I would not have used them (based on what I saw first hand)!

good luck with all follow up and thank you for alerting others to the issues travellers face. the offenders were despicable cowards to rob and terrorise easy targets.

doubt we have heard the last of this.

Just in case you thought that the river boat cruise company had an emergency risk management plan - refer to the link

http://www.travelweekly.com/River-Cruising/Delfin-Amazon-Cruises-employs-armed-guards-after-robbery

Remember, this is a company that is plastered all over every glossy international travel magazine. If the 'metal security doors' are locked at 6.30pm - how did the pirates enter at 3.30am - must have been Houdini?

None of the measures suggested will help if the enemy is within? There is alot more in risk and emergency planning that just sticking armed guards onboard. If you refer to the last pirate attack in the Amazon - armed guards didn't stop them!

TravelerThom - don't know where you are getting your information from? Where is the $8,000 heirloom coming from? Think you are a bit confused by different posts online...
...On the Cruise Critic “News” page there is mention of an $8000 heirloom gold necklace being stolen...
No, I don't think I am confused. I mentioned where my information came from and would have expected that my attribution to Cruise Critic "News" would have been sufficient (they only have one article [with comments] on this robbery), but given that you were unable to find it, the URL is:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7131 and a partial quote:

"I was on this cruise. The attack lasted far longer than 30 minutes. The attack lasted nearly 2 hours. After the attack, it took over 3 hours for any police to arrive. $20,000? Not even close. That was cash only. One passenger alone wore a $8,000 gold heirloom necklace. My wife and I lost nearly $10,000 total. We had 30 passengers. The crew assisted the terrorists. A crewman knocked on my door to have me open the door at 3:30 am. The Cruise Director personally removed my wifes's 40 year heirloom wedding ring and gave it to the terrorists..."