what to pack for Seattle/ Alaska in September (8-18)

naenae324

Could someone please tell me what me and my hubby should pack for our Norwegian Cruise? Seattle 8tth and 9th- cruising 10-17- seattle 18th

Thanks in advance

Renee:)

Thanks for asking this question...we are going next year in September too and had no idea what to bring. Appreciate the responses!

Edited by annietownsend

Dress/pack in layers - 3 season hooded parka (from LL Beans, Eddie Bauer, Columbia or North Face) in your daypack, that will serve also as rain poncho, hiking/walking shoes, plus those already listed above.

A good pair of binoculars and digital camera with zoom lens to capture those memory moments. Check the weather forecasts ahead from ports.

Read carefully the responses of those that go on Shore Excursions - If on ship

you can always go inside or back to your cabin to find and put on another

appropriate layer.

You however do not need thermal artic parka's unless your SE takes you

by boat or aircraft right up to and landing on a glacier even at that that is overkill !

A long sleeve t shirt a sweat shirt and a thinly light weight windbreaker should

be all that you need layer up. Shorts should be fine for the legs - ah er Bikinis

I don't think so unless you are a full red blooded Norwegian.

You won't be doing any night time excursions - so no problem here.

Early morning excursions maybe decidedly chilly until - well the sun is not

going to do you anymore favors since it is still up already but some solar

effort is require to thin the foggy mists away.

Plan on a hat with a wide brim to cover your glasses* and shed water from the facial area.

*Glasses for those that wear-em and binoculars and a lens hood for camera gear !

You are not near the equator with warm ocean water warmer than the air

atmosphere - so expect the waters to tone down any spa experience.

Pack a poncho or rain jacket if going ashore and rain is forecasted - as for SNOW

the season the cruises operate in - snow rarely falls and melts on sight if it

does.

With wet weather take care on decks docks platforms and slippery coastal rocks

wear suitable footwear - avoid making entertainment for the wild life !

appropriate layer.

by boat or aircraft right up to and landing on a glacier even at that that is overkill !

A long sleeve t shirt a sweat shirt and a thinly light weight windbreaker should

be all that you need layer up. Shorts should be fine for the legs - ah er Bikinis

Plan on a hat with a wide brim to cover your glasses* and shed water from the facial area.

*Glasses for those that wear-em and binoculars and a lens hood for camera gear !

Pack a poncho or rain jacket if going ashore and rain is forecasted - as for SNOW

does.

Thank you for the wonderful advice. We live in Georgia and don't have nordic wear. However, we have the clothes that you mentioned in your post.

appropriate layer.

does.

Thanks Robert! :) Good to know about the snow and time of sailing. We are doing a land to her before we and I have been curious how much to pack.

Our weather during September is usually still quite warm. The best advice is to check the weather report for Seattle and the port cities. Sometimes it's cool and others still in the 70's and 80's. I would suggest a pair of rain pants and a water proof jacket. These work well to cut the wind as well as keep you dry. Regardless of the weather in port the wind off the glaciers is chilly.

We were there in September. The weather varied. We brought lots of layers. We did bring and wear 3-in-1 waterproof Parkas. We could use the outer shell for a light jacket or windbreaker. We used the jacket for cooler times. In Glacier Bay, it was VERY cold. Wore bunches of clothes and the whole 3 layers of the parka. If you take any excursions on water, it will be colder than being on land in the port. Take socks. You can always remove them. Make sure your warm layer has long sleeves. If you get too warm, you can tie it around your waist. We found dress on board generally more casual than the other NCL cruises we'be been on. More like lumberjacks than Miami fashionistas. ENJOY!!!

We were there in September. The weather varied. We brought lots of layers. We did bring and wear 3-in-1 waterproof Parkas. We could use the outer shell for a light jacket or windbreaker. We used the jacket for cooler times. In Glacier Bay, it was VERY cold. Wore bunches of clothes and the whole 3 layers of the parka. If you take any excursions on water, it will be colder than being on land in the port. Take socks. You can always remove them. Make sure your warm layer has long sleeves. If you get too warm, you can tie it around your waist. We found dress on board generally more casual than the other NCL cruises we'be been on. More like lumberjacks than Miami fashionistas. ENJOY!!!

this helps alot!!

Is there a formal night???

this helps alot!!

Is there a formal night???

Is there a formal night ?

Only if you want to make one wearing your lumber jack tartan shirt jeans and 20 league hiking boots !

Alaska is the extreme of Cruise Casual !

This is not your 4th class cruise on the Queen's ship requiring tux and tails !

My wife and I are going September 3rd. I'm packing jeans and trail pants along with shorts, waterproof hiking shoots, two polar tech coats, once zip one pull over. Lightweight water proof rain jacket and a outer shell. A couple long sleeve T shirts and a pair of polar tech gloves and I'll be fine. I wear shorts and sandals when it 50f so unless it pours the entire time I'll be fine