WTH?!? KDam reviews

lahlah57

It makes perfect sense to me. We all come to a cruise with different expectations, life experiences, personalities, likes & dislikes, and cruising history. And we do different things during our cruise.

Over time, and many cruises, the sense of awe and wonderment will decrease. What seems so special the first time is the expectation and normal after many cruises. It's easy to reply "exceeds expectations" on the cruise survey the first time, but several cruises later that reply will be "meets expectations". Same service and food, same cabin, same ship. You've learned what to expect.

Now, the Koningsdam, from all reports, is quite different in design, atmosphere, entertainment, size of cabins, etc. from previous HAL ships.

People who know and love what they have been getting for decades could be disappointed in what it offers, while people new to the cruising world could love it as they don't have the same background.

Not hard at all to understand from where I sit.

It makes perfect sense to me. We all come to a cruise with different expectations, life experiences, personalities, likes & dislikes, and cruising history. And we do different things during our cruise.

Over time, and many cruises, the sense of awe and wonderment will decrease. What seems so special the first time is the expectation and normal after many cruises. It's easy to reply "exceeds expectations" on the cruise survey the first time, but several cruises later that reply will be "meets expectations". Same service and food, same cabin, same ship. You've learned what to expect.

Now, the Koningsdam, from all reports, is quite different in design, atmosphere, entertainment, size of cabins, etc. from previous HAL ships.

People who know and love what they have been getting for decades could be disappointed in what it offers, while people new to the cruising world could love it as they don't have the same background.

I always feel bad about those meets/exceeds questions. It's as much about the passenger as it is the actual cruise. As you say, if it's a line I've sailed with often, I know what to expect. I have realistic expectations, and they're met. So they didn't exceed my expectations even thought they did a really good job.

I disagree, I wrote one of those reviews. I gave it 3 out of 5 overall which is not love or hate. A number of the reviews around mine are very similar ie a very nice ship which is very similar to X ships but is well short of X service levels. I think most reviews have also highlighted that K is overcoming teething problems. It's the first ship of its class for HAL and they are learning what works and what doesn't. They are definitely paying attention to customer feedback and we saw changes while we were onboard. The offering will continue to improve.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Excellent response from an experienced traveler.

I've read many of the reviews for ms. Koningsdam and have taken it all "with a grain of salt."

I am not loyal to any particular cruise line, although I have more cruises with Princess than others.

For me, each cruise is a new adventure. I've had shining moments on every ship I've been on. I've also had a few dull moments. That is reality. And, that is when I am glad that I packed some extra patience.

I can't wait to get on that dam ship next Sunday! Hail to the King!

It happens because while people are on the same ship, they are not all having the same experience. Not everyone is served by the same cabin steward or the same waiter or bartender. It is quite possible that passengers on one area of the ship are receiving excellent service while passengers on another area are receiving less than stellar service.

You can even have 2 different tables, sitting side by side in a speciality restaurant, served by the same wait staff and have very different experiences. One may have poorly prepared food while another has food prepared to perfection.

It happens because while people are on the same ship, they are not all having the same experience. Not everyone is served by the same cabin steward or the same waiter or bartender. It is quite possible that passengers on one area of the ship are receiving excellent service while passengers on another area are receiving less than stellar service.

You can even have 2 different tables, sitting side by side in a speciality restaurant, served by the same wait staff and have very different experiences. One may have poorly prepared food while another has food prepared to perfection.

Exactly!! Quick example from our cruise, we did the the de libreje dining. It is essentially a set 5 course menu so how did the table next to us sit down an hour after us and finish an hour before us (and we didn't finish!) ... The reason there server was organised and ours lost the plot, so within 3 feet of each other we had a completely different experience.

Also note there has been probably 10,000 people sail K so far and only 50 reviews, so small sample size. I can tell you in all honesty that the overwhelming majority of people we spoke to felt the service levels were lower than usual and the ship felt disorganised ... That does not mean people were having a bad time, simply an observation.

For example we had a fantastic time on our trip but I still only give Hal 3 out of 5 ... I just didn't let their mistakes ruin my vacation.

Hi Ruth!!!!!

My thoughts exactly!

Well spoken:)

Denise:)

I disagree, I wrote one of those reviews. I gave it 3 out of 5 overall which is not love or hate. A number of the reviews around mine are very similar ie a very nice ship which is very similar to X ships but is well short of X service levels. I think most reviews have also highlighted that K is overcoming teething problems. It's the first ship of its class for HAL and they are learning what works and what doesn't. They are definitely paying attention to customer feedback and we saw changes while we were onboard. The offering will continue to improve.

We have avoided the K'dam for a couple reasons: one being the new-ship growing pains and the other the 25-30% premium you get to pay to enjoy that "new-ship smell". We travel first class, but usually aren't "trail breakers".

I can understand new-ship growing pains, but I'm surprised about the service complaint. That's one area in which our HAL cruises have always been superb. You mentioned X's service. A couple months ago I booked a Royal Suite for our first Celebrity cruise. My customer service experience so far has been the worst I've ever experienced, land or sea, in 45 years of traveling.

I've been asked by many CC members why I book my own cruise then transfer the booking to a TA, or why I don't let the TA make the booking in the first place. Other than the extra OBC and perks provided, etc., the experience I have in dealing with a line's reservation reps or PCCs is usually a pretty accurate "leading indicator" of the service we'll get on board. At this point after dealing with a senior Suite Rep as well as top management, I'm apprehensive as hell but trying to keep an open mind about Celebrity.

Edited by blizzardboy

I am sorry maybe love/hate descriptive was not the best but I would rather say

Would sail again/would not sail again

Ahh fair enough. For me itinerary is very important so I would not say never but the smoking policy was an issue on the 2nd leg; the other thing for us is that taking a cruise is a change from our normal travel style and we expect it to be a high level of service when we expend that much money and both pre cruise and during the service levels are not there. We could get few answers from Hal pre cruise, it was difficult to purchase spa services, specialty restaurants etc.

on the cruise service levels were very casual and management was completely invisible which given it was a new ship and both passengers and crew were a bit lost just seemed strange ... Others both onboard, in reviews and on these boards have concurred with the lack of officer/management presence.

More importantly the bar service was atrocious and as this is a special type of holiday for us we like to have a few cocktails and relax in the bars ... Getting wait service was next to impossible, barman regularly asked could we change our order or sighed about making cocktails etc On one occasion they would not even give me a glass of tap water ... After 2 weeks of this I finally lost it and complained, it was marginally better in the last week.

I have mentioned elsewhere that a lot of regular X users were on this ship and like me they praised the ship itself ... More dining options, much better live music, a promenade but to a person they all said service was way below that on X.

One gentleman told me he was in the highest suite category in Hal and received zero benefits from it and could not even get a reserved dining time (took 2 weeks to be told he could have breakfast in pg) but on X he has special embarkation, separate dining, personal greeting by hotel manager etc etc He was shocked at the difference. Both of us were shocked we never saw the captain once on the whole cruise and you were lucky to see the cd every other day at best. On my X cruise I saw the captain every evening and the cd at least 3 times a day.

Like I said we had a fantastic time because you would have to be a sour puss not to enjoy cruising the ocean on comfortable surroundings with nice food and live music but I would still consider alternatives first next time.

I suppose I was likely to be more critical as I was a reluctant cruiser anyway. I had planned a month self drive holiday in Italy. Some friends who always cruise HA talked my husband into joining them. The the ports were substantially changed in a way that was not good for us.

Everyone does have different expectations and taste. Eg smoking does not bother me too much. But I hate watching tv in bed so I really did not like the large tv. Had I been cruising alone it would have been rarely turned on. But having a separate stateroom for my husband and me is a bit beyond our finances! I did not like the glitzy decor but that in no way spoilt my enjoyment of the cruise. What I did not like, and it comes up over and over in the reviews, was the crowding in the Lido.

teamflames

Just disembarked Koningsdam last week in Amsterdam and the service is approaching top class. MDR staff couldn't do enough for us, some of the friendliest, most efficient we have come across in years - oceans above our X cruise. The use of iPads perhaps has advanced the game for them somewhat.

Also appreciate the personal drink service throughout the ship, the absence of this on other ships is now becoming very apparent. A passenger has bought and paid for their beverages so don't really need to drink them!!

To Koningsdam herself, words don't do this new ship justice, beautiful, light, airy, quirky, unusual, amazing - thoroughly enjoyed every day on board.

Some of the fastest internet we have ever had on a ship for reasonable costs and we had laundry that we sent out in the morning which returned each evening. First ship EVER to turn it around this fast.

To HAL congratulations on a fabulous new ship - now just ban smoking inside and it will be perfect :)

teamflames

Just disembarked Koningsdam last week in Amsterdam and the service is approaching top class. MDR staff couldn't do enough for us, some of the friendliest, most efficient we have come across in years - oceans above our X cruise. The use of iPads perhaps has advanced the game for them somewhat.

Also appreciate the personal drink service throughout the ship, the absence of this on other ships is now becoming very apparent. A passenger has bought and paid for their beverages so don't really need to drink them!!

To Koningsdam herself, words don't do this new ship justice, beautiful, light, airy, quirky, unusual, amazing - thoroughly enjoyed every day on board.

Some of the fastest internet we have ever had on a ship for reasonable costs and we had laundry that we sent out in the morning which returned each evening. First ship EVER to turn it around this fast.

To HAL congratulations on a fabulous new ship - now just ban smoking inside and it will be perfect :)

Hey Porky

That is great you had a fantastic trip!

I hope you and others are not mis-interpreting me. We also had a great time. My point was that we were not in the love it or hate it camp, just in the middle - like I felt most others were.

My main point is that the ship is beautiful, great art and flowers, we loved the dining venues and the live music venues.I agree the service in the MDR was great. But there were some flaws such as rooms with inter-connecting doors have ZERO sound-proofing. The lido is a disorganised mess. There is zero interaction with management. Crows nest is a design flaw.

My view is that K is a work in progress; things that earlier cruisers complained about have been fixed such as aft/fwd cameras on the tv, daily programs on paper etc and apparently other things we recommended such as dining packages have been added (amongst others).

I would sail it again if reviews suggest improvements continue to be made and they change the smoking policy.

If a review is overly slanted, completely :mad: or :D, I tend to think the author couldn't be pleased or couldn't be displeased.

The worst thing that Kdam has going for it (beyond new ship kinks) is that the passengers are projecting their bias for something.

You'll hear "line Y does this". Uhm swell, why aren't sailing that line and why are you expecting a different line to do the same thing? You'd not expect an ice skating rink on an HAL ship.

You'll hear but whatever-dam has rooms like this. Hhm why aren't you on whateverdam and off the Kdam then?