Off topic from fashion.......

Lois R

Hi girls..I had an appt with my Oncologist today and radiation treatments are going to start on Jan 27th for 4

weeks.  I am going on my cruise on Jan 16th and will be back on the 23th.....then will start the treatments which will

go through almost the whole month of February.  He said my scar area is looking fine and if I feel soreness I can

do the massage thing and use hydrocortisone as well. So I bought some (an ointment).

Oh...the treatment is 5 days a week and from start to finish it is about 30 minutes per day.

Just thought I would bring you up to date.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Lois, that sounds like a plan you can live with since the benefits will out weigh the month long schedule. A close friend had radiation after her lumpectomy and while she said it caused her to feel tired sometimes, I don’t know if that was entirely due to the treatments or because she was helping to plan here son’s wedding at the same time. She has been cancer free since 2001. 

I bet bet you are really looking forward to you next cruise which will be here before you know it. Then your longer April cruises-how much fun that will be😊

Sharon

Hi Sharon, oh wow.....I bet it was both....planning a wedding at the same time?....I am sure that can be

stressful! 

The Dr is very nice and talked to me for a good while about it. The nurse came in and they have a couple

of bodywashes and deodorant they want you to use when going through it...…..they said to buy Dove

for showering and I need to buy Tom's deodorant (I know the brand)…...it has no aluminum in it. He said

a side effect can be where the skin feels like a sunburn but no sickness or anything. And yes, sometimes

you can feel tired.  You know the really good thing...….If I need to come home and take a nap? I can:classic_biggrin:

Yes, very much looking forward to my cruise!  Flying to Ft. Lauderdale on 1/15...…..sailing on the 16th:classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Sharon:classic_smile: (and anyone else too)….back from my cruise......it was very relaxing but the weather sucked...…….

for January it was VERY choppy.:classic_blink:

Tomorrow I start my radiation treatments..…..hopefully everything will go smoothly.

• Like 1

Well, first 3 days of Radiation went fine...tomorrow is day 4 and then a break over the weekend. Starts back on

Monday.

From what the gals in the dept said, I may feel sunburn but not for a couple of weeks.  I have been using a

moisturizer 3 times a day on the radiated area  called Miaderm. Hoping it will help prevent excess dryness

from the treatment:classic_smile:

• Like 3

Lois, good to hear that your treatments are going well. A girl friend, who had similar radiation several years ago, also had that sun burn and then the cream was prescribed.  Since you are being pro active, you should have better results than she did. However, her treatment worked and she has been cancer free since 2001.😊

Sharon

• Like 1

On 7/23/2016 at 5:21 PM, Lois R said:

But it is still a shock and any good thoughts would be appreciated.

I can't imagine how scary this must be. I'm praying for a speedy recovery. Thank God the doctor thinks it isn't terminal. Last year my father beat prostate cancer that ended up being fatal for two of my other uncles so there is hope ❤️ it won't be easy but you can do it! 

30 minutes ago, anykiad said:

I can't imagine how scary this must be. I'm praying for a speedy recovery. Thank God the doctor thinks it isn't terminal. Last year my father beat prostate cancer that ended up being fatal for two of my other uncles so there is hope ❤️ it won't be easy but you can do it! 

Thanks so much:classic_smile:...it was scary --- if you look at when I posted about it was going on 4 years ago.  The Breast Cancer

is what just happened in the past 4 months.  The other one----is totally in remission (thankfully). I take 4 pills a day

for the one called CML..2 in the morning and 2 at night.....no side affects or anything....thankfully. This medicine

will be for the rest of my life....everything is showing good!

The radiation treatments I am now going through are doing well......so I know I am lucky....2 different forms of cancer

but I should be good in both cases. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Thanks so much:classic_smile:...it was scary --- if you look at when I posted about it was going on 4 years ago.  The Breast Cancer

is what just happened in the past 4 months.  The other one----is totally in remission (thankfully). I take 4 pills a day

for the one called CML..2 in the morning and 2 at night.....no side affects or anything....thankfully. This medicine

will be for the rest of my life....everything is showing good!

The radiation treatments I am now going through are doing well......so I know I am lucky....2 different forms of cancer

but I should be good in both cases. 

Sorry I didn't look at the date it was posted! That is absolutely fantastic to know you're doing better,  I hope I live to see the day where scientists are able to come up with a cure for all cancers. 

39 minutes ago, anykiad said:

Sorry I didn't look at the date it was posted! That is absolutely fantastic to know you're doing better,  I hope I live to see the day where scientists are able to come up with a cure for all cancers. 

Me too:classic_smile: for sure!!!!!!  Thanks for the kind thoughts too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi girls, well, today is day 15 of radiation. I have this week and then Monday and Tuesday of next week......

The Dr's and nurses certainly know what they are talking about when it comes to how things progress.  They

told me this would be the week things may get the worst (3rd week in was last week) in terms of the sunburn.

I have been doing my home care---saline solution 3 times a day/then moisturizing......not sure how much it is

helping though. The area is quite red but I think this is normal.:classic_blink:  I have my next treatment in about an hour and

I guess a good thing is I only live a 10 minute drive from the Cancer place. 

Hope everyone else is doing well too.:classic_smile:

• Like 4

Hi Lois,  I remember my GF and my neighbor dealt with the “sunburn” but I don’t recall either of them mentioning using saline solution or a special cream. However this was several years ago. I guess that more is now known about radiation and the best way to manage side affects. It’s fortunate that you live near the treatment center. Take care and I hope the remaining treatment days pass quickly with minimal discomfort.

Sharon

Good morning Sharon, I appreciate your posts:classic_smile:--nice to have a place to post about it.....I have no family here

and sometimes I just have to take a breath and remember it could be way worse. 

• Like 1

We leave on our long awaited 21 night MardiGras & Southern Caribbean cruise on Celebrity tomorrow. Guess what...we’re having another delightful snowstorm. Just hope our flight gets out tomorrow (@ 6am) without delay!!!

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning Sharon, I appreciate your posts:classic_smile:--nice to have a place to post about it.....I have no family here

and sometimes I just have to take a breath and remember it could be way worse. 

Hi Lois, even though you don’t have family near by, you do have many of us on CC who are concerned and wishing you the very best. I guess it’s kinda’ like virtual hand holding😊. I think that you have shown great strength in handling all that has happened in the last few years. 

On a lighter note, how are plans coming along for your big cruise adventure? Transatlantic AND a river cruise-that’s an amazing combination. 

Take care,

Sharon

• Like 2

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

We leave on our long awaited 21 night MardiGras & Southern Caribbean cruise on Celebrity tomorrow. Guess what...we’re having another delightful snowstorm. Just hope our flight gets out tomorrow (@ 6am) without delay!!!

Best of luck Melody, I hope flights aren’t cancelled. Do you fly out of DEN? If so, I think that airport handles snow better than some airports. Just have to hope that your plane comes in tonight. I always check on arrivals the night before when we have an early morning flight. Once I know that the plane has come in I sleep a little bit better. 

Sharon