For those who drink, would you take a free drink package w/OceanView or a balcony?

Stockjock

So here's the deal. We booked a short 4 day repositioning cruise. We have a well-located OceanView room and NCL threw in a drink package.

As we approach sailing date, the price of the balcony (guarantee) is now about net $90 pp less than the oceanview cabin. But...we'd have to give up the drink package.

Would you:

A. Go for the balcony with no drink package

B. Keep the OV and drink package.

Again, 4 day cruise with only one stop.

Are you assuming you'd have to give up the drink package, or has NCL confirmed this?

It has never been my experience that we have lost any perks given at booking when we upgraded ourselves after final payment. It is not necessary to do a cancel and rebook. Since you have already paid more than the balconies are going for now, they may offer you a balcony for the price you have already paid plus the perk you already have. You need to call and ask what the possibilities are.

Are you assuming you'd have to give up the drink package, or has NCL confirmed this?

It has never been my experience that we have lost any perks given at booking when we upgraded ourselves after final payment. It is not necessary to do a cancel and rebook. Since you have already paid more than the balconies are going for now, they may offer you a balcony for the price you have already paid plus the perk you already have. You need to call and ask what the possibilities are.

When I called last week, they said I'd have to give up the drink package, as it is not offered on current bookings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would ask again as there is a current offer of choose 2 perks, perhaps even through a TA. It depends also how much time u spend in your cabin. I personally spend very little time in cabin, but my next cruise, a 5 day repo has me in my first balcony with the UBP. That being said, the balcony turns out to be one of those enclosed balconies which is likely what you are looking at for the upgrade. Also, i end up pay about $20 a day for the gratuities on this "free" perk so for me, the value of 2 drinks a day is worth it. It does cover juices and fountain drinks without alcohol as well. I won't upgrade to a better balcony if it means i lose the perks

Edited by Lulubelle45

When I called last week, they said I'd have to give up the drink package, as it is not offered on current bookings.

I don't know when there has been any time period lately when balconies have not been offered a free drink package. In fact, current bookings are eligible for 2 free perks, including the drink package. Unless I am missing something here, you need to call NCL back and ask again. If you have a PCC talk to them, or ask to be assigned to one and connected. Make sure they understand that you are not asking for the lower fare, just an upgrade to a balcony, keeping what you already have.

Edited by punkincc

I would keep the UBP. Even a glass of soda is like $3 each. And virgin mixed drinks are around $8 each. And if you drink alcohol, the drinks are more. One that DH likes s $15 each. So even for me who doesn't drink alcohol, I would take the drink package perk. The gratuities paid are cheaper then what the drinks would cost over that time period. Besides, there are plenty of public outdoor spaces to get fresh air and sun.

Edited by Weluv2cruise2gether

We were just able to upgrade to a balcony for no cost and keep all of our perks (including the double points for booking more than 9 months in advance). We did it about three weeks prior to sailing. It was something about being an upgrade and not a resell because we were past final payment... or something like that.

If that doesn't work out for you, I'd keep the UBP and not go with the balcony. It's just so nice to not have to worry about your drinks. And, although I really loved the balcony (this was the first time we ever had one!), it wasn't worth giving up the UBP, imo. Of course, it depends on your priorities. :) Have fun, whatever you decide!

Edited by Lucinarei

I don't know when there has been any time period lately when balconies have not been offered a free drink package. In fact, current bookings are eligible for 2 free perks, including the drink package. Unless I am missing something here, you need to call NCL back and ask again. If you have a PCC talk to them, or ask to be assigned to one and connected. Make sure they understand that you are not asking for the lower fare, just an upgrade to a balcony, keeping what you already have.

When we sailed in March they offered a free drink package that was truly free other than gratuity in that the price of the room with or without the drink package was the same. This is no longer the case. NCL now offers the free at sea promo packages only at a higher price such that the room price is $150 to $200 more per person if you choose the promo packages as opposed to choosing a guarantee room without these packages. I suspect the price that the original poster is referring to as being a low price for a balcony is for a guarantee which would not include any promos. I would definitely keep your promo package and only upgrade if you are able to get an upgrade through the upsell Department or if the price drops on even the cabin category that has promos attached.

Edited by Jana60

It is short and inexpensive repositioning cruise. That might have something to do with it..

More than likely the price you are being quoted/seeing for the balcony is for a category BX guarantee using NCL's "Sailaway" rates. That category (along with IX, OX, MX under the same Sailaway rate) is ineligible for any of the NCL Free at Sea promos. There are more likely other balcony fares available, probably much higher, that could be combined with Free at Sea. A good travel agent would know the difference and be able to guide you, but if you are dealing with the NCL call center I'd call back and talk to another agent. There is always the possibility that the BX is the ONLY cabin category left for balcony rooms, though unlikely. Usually they keep 1 letter code (Like BD on a guaranteefor example) that is combinable with the offers as it would sell at a higher fare, because as we know with Frank DelFeeO it all about the $$$$$$

It is short and inexpensive repositioning cruise. That might have something to do with it..

Its a balcony guarantee. They are not giving the perks with any of the guarantees.

Its a way for people to take advantage of a low price with no perks.

I see the guarantees in each of the categories for my two upcoming cruises do not include any perks.

So here's the deal. We booked a short 4 day repositioning cruise. We have a well-located OceanView room and NCL threw in a drink package.

As we approach sailing date, the price of the balcony (guarantee) is now about net $90 pp less than the oceanview cabin. But...we'd have to give up the drink package.

Would you:

A. Go for the balcony with no drink package

B. Keep the OV and drink package.

Again, 4 day cruise with only one stop.

Without question I would keep the oceanview with the drink package.

Its nice to order whatever you want whenever you want, and to be able to experiment withnew drinks and try things out.....

And if you don't want to drink alcohol you can get plenty of virgin options as well.....so its not just about the alcohol.

Call back and speak to someone different. They don't always know what they are talking about. I called to make a change and the first agent gave me a ridiculous explanation about why I couldn't do what I wanted. I called back the next day and that agent said "no problem" and with a few clicks on her computer all was well.