My Time Dining

Faced with this issue again, so I need to figure some ins and outs about this.

On our last RCCL cruise I made the reservations for us for 7 pm. We were assigned a table and waiter and then asked if we were returning each night at that time. Although I did pre-reserve that time, I told them I did not know, it depended on the next day activities. So on days that it worked we went at that time. Some nights we got there later, and was still put at the same table, with the 2 other people finishing up. I asked if we can join a larger table and they said the dining room is full.

So now, we are 4 people going who want to share a large table so it is not just the 4 of us. I know I link the other 2 to our reservations, but how do I request to sit with at least 2 other couples? And then we will have to be flexible again with coming at that set time. If we want to come later, I want to be able to. I think making reservations for MTD defeats the purpose of the flexibility of joining the line at any time and sitting with new people each night, which PCL does wonderfully!.

Any suggestions?

Edited by camofwilliamsburg

There is no way to make MTD reservations and specify you want to sit with others. You just tell the MTD host/hostess when you show up for dinner and take your chances.

Faced with this issue again, so I need to figure some ins and outs about this.

On our last RCCL cruise I made the reservations for us for 7 pm. We were assigned a table and waiter and then asked if we were returning each night at that time. Although I did pre-reserve that time, I told them I did not know, it depended on the next day activities. So on days that it worked we went at that time. Some nights we got there later, and was still put at the same table, with the 2 other people finishing up. I asked if we can join a larger table and they said the dining room is full.

So now, we are 4 people going who want to share a large table so it is not just the 4 of us. I know I link the other 2 to our reservations, but how do I request to sit with at least 2 other couples? And then we will have to be flexible again with coming at that set time. If we want to come later, I want to be able to. I think making reservations for MTD defeats the purpose of the flexibility of joining the line at any time and sitting with new people each night, which PCL does wonderfully!.

Any suggestions?

I think making a reservation does defeat the purpose and flexibility of MTD....That's the part of MTD we enjoy...so no reservations for us.

Early is too early, late is too late sometimes with some nice trivia and comedy later in the evenings.

So without reservations can you get a night when there is no room and we would not be able to go in?

If that is the case, I guess I will do a 10 night reservation and then show up when I wish and at least know my table is there.

Makes no sense at all. I wish they did it differently/

I understand your issue, but. It is kind of rude to make a reservation and then expect them to hold the table until you actually decide to show up. And what about the others you want to sit with? Should they just wait? I guess I don't understand what you want or how you feel it could be done differently. Maybe just forget about making reservations and just show up when you want and hope there will be others who want to share a table at that exact same time.

It was not a problem last time if we were at a larger table. We were put with only one other couple. We told the staff if we are not here to go ahead and serve the other couple. I think MTD should not be a set time to give the flexibility that it should have. You should show up at any time and be seated with others who are joining the line. BUT, that is not how it worked last time. We had set time and even when we said we would be late, the table was there for us. I was hoping to hear from someone who did not make any reservations but walked in at any time and got in. If everyone is reserving then we will be told no room. I still like the dining room over the buffet.

It was not a problem last time if we were at a larger table. We were put with only one other couple. We told the staff if we are not here to go ahead and serve the other couple. I think MTD should not be a set time to give the flexibility that it should have. You should show up at any time and be seated with others who are joining the line. BUT, that is not how it worked last time. We had set time and even when we said we would be late, the table was there for us. I was hoping to hear from someone who did not make any reservations but walked in at any time and got in. If everyone is reserving then we will be told no room. I still like the dining room over the buffet.

We don't make a reservation...walk in and request a table for two...on our recent cruise's we've had a maximum wait of less than 5 min.

You can't force others to dine with you under MTD.

Correct, but if you request to sit with others then they will try to put you at a table with others who have ade the same request.

Would this be for the main dining rooms?

Due to wifeys meds and how she is feeling, we are early eaters but can't be tied into a specific time each night.

We would like to get the same servers if possible for the interaction but unsure how or the best way to do this or what is the best way,

We don't make a reservation...walk in and request a table for two...on our recent cruise's we've had a maximum wait of less than 5 min.

Would this be for the main dining rooms?

Due to wifeys meds and how she is feeling, we are early eaters but can't be tied into a specific time each night.

We would like to get the same servers if possible for the interaction but unsure how or the best way to do this or what is the best way,

Your best bet is traditional first seating. If she needs to eat earlier than that, get a snack elsewhere. Generally, MTD does not start seating guests any sooner than traditional dining. (or at least, not by much)

Thank you, I was late to the game and 1 is closed and 2 is way too late..

Your best bet is traditional first seating. If she needs to eat earlier than that, get a snack elsewhere. Generally, MTD does not start seating guests any sooner than traditional dining. (or at least, not by much)

We've found that with mtd, diners can be seated as early as 5:30 pm even though first seating frequently doesn't begin until 6pm

Get on the wait list for first seating. More often than not, it comes through before your cruise.

If not, go to the dining room at the appointed time (the maitre d's hours are listed in the cruise compass; usually 1 P.M. that first day) and request to be switched to first seating.

DW and I did MTD on the Oasis, back to back 7 day cruises. We prefer to sit by ourselves, which maybe made this easier, but I think it could be done requesting to sit at a larger table with others.

Early in the first week we were seated in an area where we liked the server. So every night after, we requested to be seated in his area. We had no reservations and dined at different times every night.

The host/hostess graciously accommodated us every night. Most nights there was no wait or maybe a couple of minutes. Only one night in the entire two weeks we had a substantial wait, maybe 20-25 minutes.

One advantage of this was the server got to know our preferences, almost like it was traditional dining. Another was we knew we were getting a top notch server every night.

I also believe it defeats the purpose of MTD to have to make reservations. When arriving at the host/hostess stand, I advise to make any request that suits your needs. And it's been our experience they will do their utmost to accommodate.

Harvey

P S We tipped him a little extra at the end of the first week and at the end of the second week. And he well deserved both.

Get on the wait list for first seating. More often than not, it comes through before your cruise.

If not, go to the dining room at the appointed time (the maitre d's hours are listed in the cruise compass; usually 1 P.M. that first day) and request to be switched to first seating.

Thx, I tried to get on a wait list for the first seating ( called again this morning) they stated it was closed so we could not get on a wait list?

Thx, I tried to get on a wait list for the first seating ( called again this morning) they stated it was closed so we could not get on a wait list?

That happens, they do close the wait list if it gets too long.

I'd try the second option Carol mentioned, go to the MDR as soon as you board and try to get your dining changed there.

Will do thank you !

That happens, they do close the wait list if it gets too long.

I'd try the second option Carol mentioned, go to the MDR as soon as you board and try to get your dining changed there.

I spoke to a customer service rep who actually called dining for me. She told me that my experiences on Grandeur is not indicative of how MTD works. Although, most of you told me here that you sit at a table for 2. I want to go anytime with 4 of us, and request to sit with other people also. I do not want to be stuck eating at the same time, but I do wish to be able to have nice conversations each night with other people. I was told that unless I reserve a time, I may be closed out, due to others reserving a table.

My question is how do I put in a request for a large table using MTD?

I spoke to a customer service rep who actually called dining for me. She told me that my experiences on Grandeur is not indicative of how MTD works. Although, most of you told me here that you sit at a table for 2. I want to go anytime with 4 of us, and request to sit with other people also. I do not want to be stuck eating at the same time, but I do wish to be able to have nice conversations each night with other people. I was told that unless I reserve a time, I may be closed out, due to others reserving a table.

You don't. You reserve for your party, whatever size that is. When you arrive at the dining room, you tell the host/ess that you would like to sit with others. They will let you know what kind of a wait that is likely to be.

My understanding is that you cannot request a table larger than your party size pre-cruise. You must do that with the MTD host/hostess once onboard.

Yes, that is what happened last time, but we were told NO table is available for sharing. Everyone pre-reserved and all tables are accounted for.

Seems very silly for MTD to fix times to most people.

If I do not fix a time, and have a table that is assigned, a table may not be available for us. That is the problem. When the rep called the dining person to ask, he told her that this is not how MTD is suppose to work. I am wondering if my only experience on Grandeur was typical or atypical. He told the rep that it is like any restaurant where you may or may not have a wait, but you will be seated. This is not what happened on Grandeur. I was told that I could not come at any time, since all the tables were reserved.