San Francisco (SFO via BART)

iceleven

I'm sure there are several people who find using BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) from the airport to the cruise terminal is economical and a fast means to travel into the city. Unfortunately, and it only pertains to cruising out of SF on Saturdays/Sundays, there is going to be rail work done that will make it more difficult and slow the ride, as well. The dates involved are the following weekends:

• July 30 & 31
  • August 13 & 14
  • August 20 & 21
  • September 3, 4, & 5 (Labor Day Weekend)
  • September 17 & 18
  • October 1 & 2
  • October 15 & 16

We have to close the tracks between Glen Park and Daly City stations on multiple weekends between the end of July and October including Labor Day weekend. We will be making vital repairs to our tracks including adding sound dampening equipment to the curved trackway in order to reduce noise from the trains. Crews will work 24 hours a day during the shutdown. Other work will include improvements to Balboa Park Station and tree trimming along the trackway. BART%20M85%20revised%20FINAL%20small%202_0.png

Balboa Park Station will be closed.

The closure will cause 20-40 minute delays to your travel–SFO and Millbrae passengers should add 1 hour to their trip.

.pdf of map

SamTrans will provide free express shuttle buses between Daly City and Glen Park stations. The bus ride will take approximately 15-20 minutes and all buses will be accessible. SFMTA will provide a free local shuttle for the three stations: Glen Park, Balboa Park, and Daly City. This local service trip should take 10 minutes between Glen Park and Balboa Park station and 15 minutes between Balboa Park and Daly City station. There is additional regular paid service available from SFMTA on the J Church, 14R Mission Rapid, 14 Mission, and 49 Mission-Van Ness lines that provide service to BART stations like Glen Park and 24th Street.

Caltrain service will run as usual and may be a good alternative for folks travelling to/from Millbrae Station or elsewhere on the Peninsula. Peninsula passengers may wish to take Caltrain to Giants games.

Service from Richmond (Red line) will be limited and will stop at Montgomery Station. There is no Red line service on Sundays between Richmond and Montgomery stations. Pittsburg/Bay Point line train service will end at Glen Park station. Dublin (Blue line) trains will stop at 24th Street station. Passengers on trains from Dublin going to Daly City or SFO/Millbrae will need to transfer to a SFO train at 24th Street and then transfer to the free shuttle bus service at Glen Park to continue to Daly City. There will be no direct Fremont to Daly City (Green Line) service at all on Saturday only regular Orange Line service (no extra trains)--which means passengers travelling to San Francisco and other West Bay stations will need to transfer as well.

From Daly City there will be trains to/from Millbrae and trains to/from SFO. Customers will need to follow signs and directions from BART employees to board the correct train for their destination.

We will have extra staff and signs at the stations to help you with your trip. Please be aware that all travellers on our system during these shutdown weekends will experience delays. Please plan on adding extra time to your trips. We understand that this will be inconvenient for you and appreciate your patience.

Just looking at the Grand Princess Cruises it will involve several dates whether you are coming to the port or leaving:

Alaska - 7/30-8/9; 9/8-9/18

Mexico - 9/25-10/5; 10/5 - 10/15

Calif. Coastal - 9/18 - 9/25; 10/15 - 10/22

As a local, I live just 5 miles south of SFO airport, I would never use BART to get to the port from San Francisco International Airport... from BART in San Francisco - Embarcadero Station it is still a hike with luggage to get to the ship.

We use local taxis... less than $100, well worth.

If you don't want to get a taxi use the Princess transfer.

As a local, I live just 5 miles south of SFO airport, I would never use BART to get to the port from San Francisco International Airport... from BART in San Francisco - Embarcadero Station it is still a hike with luggage to get to the ship.

We use local taxis... less than $100, well worth.

If you don't want to get a taxi use the Princess transfer.

Pris993.... I am arriving into San Francisco on Sept 17th, on the Island Princess, and was going to take a taxi.... do I really need to budget $100.00 one way to get to SFO??? is it that far away???

Thanks for your help! :)

Pris993.... I am arriving into San Francisco on Sept 17th, on the Island Princess, and was going to take a taxi.... do I really need to budget $100.00 one way to get to SFO??? is it that far away???

Thanks for your help! :)

You can negotiate with the taxi driver... I budget up to $150... usually pay about $90 including tip, I am little south SFO. Coming out of San Francisco, use to be if you went over 17 or 18 miles, it was the fare plus 1/2, not including tip.

Just asked my DH, how much we paid last December, he says $110, including tip. It is about a 20 minute ride, give or take depending on traffic.

You can negotiate with the taxi driver... I budget up to $150... usually pay about $90 including tip, I am little south SFO. Coming out of San Francisco, use to be if you went over 17 or 18 miles, it was the fare plus 1/2, not including tip.

Just asked my DH, how much we paid last December, he says $110, including tip. It is about a 20 minute ride, give or take depending on traffic.

WOW!! thanks for the heads up...... appreciate it. :)

Taking a private hired car may cost that much from San Mateo but from SFO, it is around $55-60. If you sign up with Uber it will be closer to $35.

we use Uber all the time and have never had a bad ride.

Not everyone can add another $200+ R/T to their cruise just to get to the ship. It's less than 20 minutes away (depending on traffic).

If you are physically mobile and traveling with luggage with wheels it is very doable using BART. Yes, there is a walk (just short of one mile) from the Embarcadero station to the pier. Many people here on CC have done so and with the traffic on the Embarcadero on most days, one can walk there faster than creeping along with the traffic.

It's assuring that there are several modes of transportation to accommodate everyone and everyone's pocket book.

I haven't ridden BART in years (I now live in SoCal), so what are the chances of getting a cab to the pier from the Embarcadero BART station? That might cut down costs considerably vs. cab fare from SFO for those who can't make the mile or so walk from the station. I guess UBER would be an option there as well, for those who have an account with them.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
clarity

I'm sure there are several people who find using BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) from the airport to the cruise terminal is economical and a fast means to travel into the city. Unfortunately, and it only pertains to cruising out of SF on Saturdays/Sundays, there is going to be rail work done that will make it more difficult and slow the ride, as well. The dates involved are the following weekends:

• July 30 & 31
  • August 13 & 14
  • August 20 & 21
  • September 3, 4, & 5 (Labor Day Weekend)
  • September 17 & 18
  • October 1 & 2
  • October 15 & 16

We have to close the tracks between Glen Park and Daly City stations on multiple weekends between the end of July and October including Labor Day weekend. We will be making vital repairs to our tracks including adding sound dampening equipment to the curved trackway in order to reduce noise from the trains. Crews will work 24 hours a day during the shutdown. Other work will include improvements to Balboa Park Station and tree trimming along the trackway. BART%20M85%20revised%20FINAL%20small%202_0.png

Balboa Park Station will be closed.

The closure will cause 20-40 minute delays to your travel–SFO and Millbrae passengers should add 1 hour to their trip.

.pdf of map

SamTrans will provide free express shuttle buses between Daly City and Glen Park stations. The bus ride will take approximately 15-20 minutes and all buses will be accessible. SFMTA will provide a free local shuttle for the three stations: Glen Park, Balboa Park, and Daly City. This local service trip should take 10 minutes between Glen Park and Balboa Park station and 15 minutes between Balboa Park and Daly City station. There is additional regular paid service available from SFMTA on the J Church, 14R Mission Rapid, 14 Mission, and 49 Mission-Van Ness lines that provide service to BART stations like Glen Park and 24th Street.

Caltrain service will run as usual and may be a good alternative for folks travelling to/from Millbrae Station or elsewhere on the Peninsula. Peninsula passengers may wish to take Caltrain to Giants games.

Service from Richmond (Red line) will be limited and will stop at Montgomery Station. There is no Red line service on Sundays between Richmond and Montgomery stations. Pittsburg/Bay Point line train service will end at Glen Park station. Dublin (Blue line) trains will stop at 24th Street station. Passengers on trains from Dublin going to Daly City or SFO/Millbrae will need to transfer to a SFO train at 24th Street and then transfer to the free shuttle bus service at Glen Park to continue to Daly City. There will be no direct Fremont to Daly City (Green Line) service at all on Saturday only regular Orange Line service (no extra trains)--which means passengers travelling to San Francisco and other West Bay stations will need to transfer as well.

From Daly City there will be trains to/from Millbrae and trains to/from SFO. Customers will need to follow signs and directions from BART employees to board the correct train for their destination.

We will have extra staff and signs at the stations to help you with your trip. Please be aware that all travellers on our system during these shutdown weekends will experience delays. Please plan on adding extra time to your trips. We understand that this will be inconvenient for you and appreciate your patience.

Will the Trains be running regularly on Sept 6? We are taking to the airport to fly to Rome for our cruise?

Thanks for the heads up 😊

We've used the Bart many times and it's great not having to drive or park in SF

I haven't ridden BART in years (I now live in SoCal), so what are the chances of getting a cab to the pier from the Embarcadero BART station? That might cut down costs considerably vs. cab fare from SFO for those who can't make the mile or so walk from the station. I guess UBER would be an option there as well, for those who have an account with them.

There is a Hyatt Hotel right across the street from the Embarcadero BART station so I am sure you could catch a cab there. We have walked to/from the ship many times and in good weather it is a lovely walk. The pavement is very smooth for wheeled luggage and the views are wonderful. I wouldn't do it in the rain though.

I would never ever pay $100 from SFO to the pier. That is ridiculous ... there are many shuttle services that are a LOT cheaper than that ... I mean a lot. I have seen many offered for under $20 pp. I think Supershuttle is around $17 pp each way. That might be with a AAA discount but a huge savings over a $100 cab.

There are always Groupons for limos and other shuttle services ... just a small amount of research will save you a lot.

We, on the other hand, take BART all the time over to the City ... and yes, even when we go on a cruise. We are not heavy packers. We get off at the Embarcadero station, cross the street over to the Embarcadero and walk 1.2 miles (all flat and with a sidewalk) to the pier ... not even 20 minutes walk. If you cannot manage that with luggage in tow, just cross the street over to the Hyatt and catch a cab to the pier. Last time we too a cab on the way back to BART, it was around $12 + tip.

to the OP ... thanks for the heads up on the closure. Funny thing ... I just saw this earlier this morning when looking up something on the BART website for my house guests this morning.

Will the Trains be running regularly on Sept 6? We are taking to the airport to fly to Rome for our cruise?

Thanks for the heads up 😊

We've used the Bart many times and it's great not having to drive or park in SF

Yes, regular schedule. The interrupted runs are only on the weekends.

• 2 weeks later...

If you don' want to pay $100+ for a taxi ride from SFO to the SF cruise terminal, you can catch the BART line from San Francisco Airport to Embarcadero Station downtown and then take a very short taxi ride from there to the cruise terminal. It'll be much cheaper (but a little less convenient).

http://sanfranciscousa.ca/transportation/bart-rapid-transit.html