Aren't Princess and RCI the Same?

funforsun

Is it just me, or are there really big differences between Princess and RCI? Service wise, I can't distinguish between the two. Ship-wise there are design differences, but none that would make me chose one over the other. The only real difference I see are the itineraries. Princess seems to get the idea that people are looking for more "exotic" kinds of cruises while RCI is still way behind in this area. Thoughts? Am I missing something?

Well, this could get interesting...:D

I think it depends what you are comparing. I doubt that there is much of a difference on a 7-day Caribbean cruise (big boat, lots of people) versus longer itineraries on ships that are a little smaller. I think some here would argue that there is a significant difference between Princess' 6 ships that are lumped into their designation of "Grand class" and the rest of the fleet.

One obvious difference is that Princess offers personal choice dining, while RCI does not. Those who are RCI fans wouldn't necessarily agree with you that there's no difference, nor would Princess fans. I personally prefer Princess, but that could change in the future.

i enjoyed my RCCL cruise last year, but some noticeable differences were that i thought the food was inedible compared to princess in the buffet and dining room (i'm sure a matter of opinion), for a 9 day voyage with 5 sea days they had the exact same lunch menu in the dining room-Princess has different selections every day. The tender service organization and disembarkation was the worst i've ever encountered on the voyager (hours for both), on princess they have this down perfectly and it's so efficient and organized. i think the pool areas were better spread out on the grand class vs. the voyager where it felt like everyone was packed into one area...on princess i've never had a problem asking for any special items in the dining room, on the voyager it was the biggest problem and the maitre'd had to get involved just to get some fruit (maybe it was the voyage and supplies available though i find that strange...) and i am really not a fussy passenger...you're also allowed to bring wine and beer onboard princess with no problem, RCCL they don't allow it (though easy to sneak). the uncorking fee in the dining room for wine on RCCL is 20 dollars, while only 10 on princess...

i would have said princess gives free espresso in the dining room but now they're charging too :(

i will say i preferred the specialty restaurant on the voyager to sabatini's on princess...

the staff on both were hard-working and friendly.

again just my opinions, i know people who love RCCL and don't like princess that's why there's a line for everyone...

Not including subjective personal preferences such as quality of food, or entertainment, or ports of call, I have found the following:

Princess appears to be cleaner, a little more traditional , quieter hallways, more descrete cabin stewarts and more choices of entertainment.

l feel RCCL has better in cabin account info, room service, and ship layouts.

I make these comments based on full capacity, with lots of kids, on holiday sailings on the CB vs. EOS. We have 6 sailings with RCCL vs. 1 sailing on Princess.

We've sailed Carnival twice, RCL twice and Princess three times. I'd say the main difference is that RCL seems to have more activities planned for younger people. Our sons, 16 and 20 now, enjoyed RCL more because of their activity options. We enjoy Princess because it is a more 'calm' cruise, seems like a more grownup cruise.

DH & I travelled on RCCL for a 4 day cruise on the Mariner of the Seas out of San Pedro - we had a mini-suite which was quite nice - However, the carpets were filthy - the ship was not full and the buffet was closed much of the time - I agree Mariner is an old ship - but I cannot imagine sailing on any Princess ship that would be in such poor condition and that the buffet would close whenever they wanted to close it because the ship was not full. So that was the one and only time for us on RCCL. This happened in Feb 2004 - I posted my opinion on the RCCL board and of course got blasted - to each his own!

OK, so I basically agree with the comments about the buffet, I have never been a fan of RCI's buffet food or hours. I didn't know about the feelings regarding the cleanliness of Princess or the more subdued, perhaps intimate Princess experience, so that would make a difference as well. Thanks for all the good feedback.

Still, I would like to know if you all think that RCI is being left in the dust concerning itineraries. It seems that Princess has taken the view that the Caribbean, Europe and Alaska are not the only destinations in the world, and they are agressive in positioning assets to take advantage of the increasing population of cruisers who would like "unique" experiences and longer cruises. Any thoughts here?

Pharmaguy

Princess has long been a pace-setter as far as itineraries go. They used to put many into a brochure they called "Exotic Itineraries", but as they have continued to expand those, they have gone to regional brochures.

Never been on RCI per se, although we did travel twice on Stardancer in Alaska, and she later became Viking Serenade after the line was merged into RCI.

Just back from an RCCL cruise and have 2 future ones booked but to be perfectly honest I give a slight edge to Princess. The reasons for the upcoming cruises: 1) a 4 dayer out of Florida in March (wish Princess had 3 & 4 days cruises) and 2) a cruise to Bermuda from Philly. I prefer the personal choice dining, love the fresh water pools, the Champagne Fountain and Island Theme Party.

Debbie

Interested in this topic and sore from attacks on other posts. Would love some help. Only been on 1 RCI can't compare as small old dirty ship w/propellor problems , but loved crusing & want to do lots more I want to stick with a line to get perks, other say no such thing as perks but anything these things you sign up for such as crown & anchor on rci you get something for frequent sailing.

Hubs loves good food, thought Empress buffet was inedible and the dining room ok & I am not a food snob. Never thought this but liked the set seating time. Looks like people here saying Princess food good, what about the seating situation?

Looks like Princess is cheaper than RCI & .Any opinions?

Don't give a flip about surfing, ice skating or rock climbing. The movies look interesting to me. Easy to get into movies? We really want to relax & read and not be screamed at to get up and do something. Did not like drinks being hawked non stop and being asked why I didnt want to buy a drink

Any suggestions on cheap fares or hints for newby. East coast by the way

Thanks for the help in advance

Most of the Princess ships now offer both TRADITIONAL dining with two different seatings where you eat at the time, and the same table with the same waiters every night for dinner for the whole trip OR ANYTIME DINING where you go to the dining room anytime you want to (during the posted hours) for dinner. You usually have a different table and different waiters each night but sometimes you can request the same table making reservations for a specific time and location in the "Anytime" dining room. Some ships also have Speciality dining rooms (sometimes with extra charge) for which you must make reservations.

Here's another difference - IMO the security people on the CB actually cared and intervened with rowdy passangers or children in adult pools. (CB 8/05) On RCI (1/05 Radiance) I only saw one security guard all week and he walked right past a group of young teens in the adults only spa pool. Also, the standard balcony room on the CB has a much better layout than the standard balcony room on the Radiance.

Having been a dedicated Princess Cruiser for going on 5 times....We are breaking the mold and trying RCI in February because we wanted to test the waters in advance. We are planning a "large" family cruise in '07 on the Freedom and want to see if the RCI experience will be tolerable with our hord.

Fingers are crossed....

DH & I travelled on RCCL for a 4 day cruise on the Mariner of the Seas out of San Pedro - we had a mini-suite which was quite nice - However, the carpets were filthy - the ship was not full and the buffet was closed much of the time - I agree Mariner is an old ship - but I cannot imagine sailing on any Princess ship that would be in such poor condition and that the buffet would close whenever they wanted to close it because the ship was not full. So that was the one and only time for us on RCCL. This happened in Feb 2004 - I posted my opinion on the RCCL board and of course got blasted - to each his own!

You said "I agree Mariner is an old ship"....

Wasn't it built in 2003 or 2004....what do you consider not old?

We've (couple plus teen daughter) been on 2 Princess and 2 Royal Caribbean cruises. We switched from Princess to Royal Caribbean because the food and service on our last Princess cruise was terrible. We've now booked a cruise on Princess for April to give them another chance. We much prefer the cruise directors and staff on Princess (maybe it's the British touch) and their entertainment.

I believe that Royal Caribbean is cheaper. Royal Caribbean usually has more groups traveling together. In addition, a 3rd passenger on Royal Caribbean has the choice to sleep in a sleeper sofa instead of a "bunk bed". A sleeper sofa is only available in mini-suites on Princess.

My suggestion is to shop for your itinerary. Decide where and when you want to go and see what you find. You'll have a great time on either.

Mariner doesn't do 4 day cruises maybe your thinking of the Majesty?

Debbie

I was thinking the same thing. We loved our Mariner cruise ( a fairly new ship) and had none of those problems.

After having just cruised on the Coral Princess, and having a great time, I am still leaning toward RCCL/Celebrity as a favorite cruiseline.

:) Hi CCers! We love Princess and Celebrity equally, but each has their pluses and minuses. We booked an RCL cruise once but RCL decided to cancel our booking without bothering to notify us...or tell us why. By the time I realized we were cancelled, our perfect aft cabin was gone and the price had gone up significantly. RCL refused to admit they even made a mistake, let alone try to satisfy us in any way. That's when we wrote them off for good. :mad: However, my husband and his sister did a little 4 dayer on one of their older ships (Majesty, maybe) one time. He said the food was awful, the ship was dirty and the cabins were the tiniest he'd ever seen. :eek: He swore Never Again!

Princess definitely has more itineraries and ships to chose from vs Celebrity. And their prices are always cheaper than comparable cruises on Celebrity, plus Princess often offers SBC's and low deposits. I do think that Celebrity is the classiest line we've cruised, with impeccable service and lots of nifty little extras. Food is so subjective, but I'd say they are about even. We do prefer Princess's personal choice option and 24 hour food court. Love Celebrity's "no announcement" rule. I've heard from several RCL passengers that RCL is constantly playing that music from their TV commercials and always trying to sell something over the load speakers. If that's true, then they are definitely not for us.

Anyway, just my two cents. Later....Oink! :)

Archived