Insurance for Canadians sailing Regent?

I would also be interested in hearing. My upcoming TA on the Explorer I have used Manulife for the trip and will buy additional insurance for medical from my credit card. It was much easier when we could use Travelguard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am not sure if I am breaking any Cruise Critic rules but we have had great success with Steve at Trip Insurance Store. He handles a multitude of insurance plans. He is knowledgeable and tries to find us the best plan for the best value. My guess he would be able to answer your question. Since he is not a travel agent I am assuming it is okay to describe his services.

I am not sure if I am breaking any Cruise Critic rules but we have had great success with Steve at Trip Insurance Store. He handles a multitude of insurance plans. He is knowledgeable and tries to find us the best plan for the best value. My guess he would be able to answer your question. Since he is not a travel agent I am assuming it is okay to describe his services.

I've already talked to them and they can't help us. We'll be gone for 31 days and he says the policy must cover the entire trip, and they don't cover trips of more than 30 days. Even then, he didn't know that we wouldn't be travelling from Canada, but from the U.S. where we have our winter home.

not sure what you mean with insurance being denied to Canadians, but here's what we experienced recently.

We usually (when doing international cruises with flights) use CSA for the trip insurance. Had to use them once and it was a good experience. However, CSA only insures (so we were told) US residents etc. When we traveled with a couple from Europe in the med a few weeks back, we tried to get them onto CSA, no dice. So we got them onto the Regent insurance which worked fine for them. A bit more expensive, but they were covered.

Hi Wendy. I use a well known TA out of Vancouver and they use Travelguard which provides a pre-existing waiver. I used Travelguard for a recent cruise booking and also for a Seabourn cruise last year. So Travelguard is still available. Perhaps it is the length of your trip that is the issue? Do they not insure trips over 30 days?

BTW, My Vancouver TA recently sent me an email with some incredible Regent pricing for example: the Explorer Oct 12 cruise was offered at less than $5000. Somehow I thought all the Explorer sailings were not being discounted and were already sold, but apparently not.

Why is travel insurance being denied to Canadians?

Not sure.

It appears that Travel Guard is still available, I must have been mistaken. All I know is that a TA near and dear to many of our hearts can't offer an alternative to Canadians. I will let them know what I find.

RSA seems to work too, as does RBC.

Travel Guard is quite good, on our experience, assuming it is available.

No, it's not. I could do an online quote and pay for a policy, but it wouldn't be a valid policy, so I could never actually make a claim.

This is Travel Guard Canada. I spoke to them, and I must start and end my trip in my home province. We talked about it, and there's no way around it.

(It's just fortunate that we don't need medical; for that, we're already insured.)

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Wendy, I don't know which bank(s) where you have accounts but take a look at TD as they had some different policies. To date, this is not something we have used as we have either gone through RBC (Visa Rewards Preferred) and/or CSA so I can't give you first hand experience.

Medical insurance for us has always been the priority and we have a Medjet policy as well as the increased medical through other insurance.

As a suggestion and not knowing if it would work, would you be able to fly back to Ontario and begin your trip from there so that you could have coverage?

Please keep us fellow Canadians posted on what you find out. Thanks!!!!

Wendy, I don't know which bank(s) where you have accounts but take a look at TD as they had some different policies. To date, this is not something we have used as we have either gone through RBC (Visa Rewards Preferred) and/or CSA so I can't give you first hand experience.

Medical insurance for us has always been the priority and we have a Medjet policy as well as the increased medical through other insurance.

As a suggestion and not knowing if it would work, would you be able to fly back to Ontario and begin your trip from there so that you could have coverage?

Please keep us fellow Canadians posted on what you find out. Thanks!!!!

Thanks, I bank with RBC and they seem to be the same. Just got confirmation back from Amex Canada (RSA) that they are the same, i.e., "Trip is defined as the period of time between leaving your departure point (the province or territory you depart from on the first day of your intended trip), up to and including your return date outside your Canadian province or territory of residence."

Flying back to Toronto would be an option, but a pretty silly one. Considering that we don't need medical, just cancellation, it seems like I could book flights back to Tampa <-> Toronto using Aeroplan miles, then cancel the flights and swallow the $90 fee per flight.

But I just heard back from Travel Guard US that, as long as we're leaving from and returning to our US address, they can cover us. So I'll let you know.

(Now if I can settle that, I can move on to the APIS problem. We've encountered this before, but somehow it didn't stop us from getting back to Tampa from Singapore, so maybe it's okay, but I have to talk to AA. The problem is that the US's APIS (Advanced Passenger Information System) want non-US travellers coming in to the US to have ongoing travel plans back to their country of residence. Anybody else had this problem, or do all my fellow Canucks endure the winter up north?)

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer