Will HAL follow Celebrity and install separate suite class dining rooms on its ships

wwinfl91

We have enjoyed the "suite Life" on NCL, Hal and Celebrity. The special dining options can be nice, but we by no means use them exclusively. On NCL one of the specialty restaurants is dedicated to suite occupants for breakfast and lunch. This works ok for breakfast. Mr. S is a slow riser in the morning so most of the time we get room service for breakfast. When we do go to the suite restaurant, it has a nice but limited buffet and the same menu every day. Same for lunch. For lunch this can be really boring.

On Celebrity we had a Royal Suite. We really didn't like the 2-room configuration. Although smaller, we prefer the Neptune on HAL. For the way we travel it works better. We were also very disappointed in the hot tub on the deck on Celebrity. It was filthy, the water came out of the jets yellow, and the butler pretty much refused to do anything about it. He also made long distance calls from our cabin. We complained but I am not sure the bill was even adjusted.

HAL has a great product with the Neptune Lounge. We try to get a cabin close to it. We think this is much better than having a butler bring around snacks every day. NCL and Celebrity do not have this.

We have been in the Haven on NCL once. It was nice but the dedicated dining room had the same issue-no change in the menu. The 2 bedroom suite we were in only had a 2 person dining table. We really had to scrunch in when we invited friends to dinner in our suite. It was nicely served by the butler, but the room service waiters on HAL do a good job also.

So be careful what you wish for HAL suite people! I think HAL has a good product now. Our big problem with HAL is the s-word. Mr. S cannot be around s-ing due to a medical condition, so we are keeping our fingers crossed for our HAL cruise this fall that it won't be a problem. Love to use the balcony, but it is not possible if there are s-ers close by.

I'm not convinced that HAL would turn into NCL if HAL added suites only dining.

BTW, we had the same menu issue on Oasis with their suites only dining. They only changed the dinner menu once on a seven day cruise which might have been OK if there were a few more choices. I don't think they changed the lunch menu at all. Some people thought it was wonderful. We went to the buffet.

We've been sailing HAL for years. It is one of the more civilized lines around.

Over the last year or so, we thought we would try Celebrity and NCL because they had the private areas.

After trying both and paying dearly for the same size suites not in the private plan, we will do a major pass on this concept.

I wouldn't want HAL to go to a private area concept like NCL has done either. A suites only dining area isn't even close to a private area concept.

To paraphrase Iancal:

"If it concerns you that a private suite only dining area is" necessary for your enjoyment "then simply select anther ship or cruise line. Cruise lines are in business to maximize profits for their shareholders. They act accordingly. There are lots of choice out there....vote with your feet and with your wallet."

I'm not convinced that HAL would turn into NCL if HAL added suites only dining.

BTW, we had the same menu issue on Oasis with their suites only dining. They only changed the dinner menu once on a seven day cruise which might have been OK if there were a few more choices. I don't think they changed the lunch menu at all. Some people thought it was wonderful. We went to the buffet.

Just imagine that same menu every day on a 20 day cruise. I may never eat a turkey burger again.

To paraphrase Iancal:

"If it concerns you that a private suite only dining area is" necessary for your enjoyment "then simply select anther ship or cruise line. Cruise lines are in business to maximize profits for their shareholders. They act accordingly. There are lots of choice out there....vote with your feet and with your wallet."

Amen!!!

I suppose in my previous post I didn't clearly paint the entire picture clearly enough.

We have been cruising for 50 years, but not just for the food.

We need lectures, a decent library, a quiet place to sit and read books, a reasonable promenade deck to walk on and a few lectures along with quality non-ear shattering music.

Neither Celebrity nor NCL even came close for us.

Edited by Responder

It is really sraitghtforward. If it concerns you that a private suite only dining area is carved out of a public area on a ship then simply select anther ship or cruise line. Cruise lines are in business to maximize profits for their shareholders. They act accordingly. There are lots of choice out there....vote with your feet and with your wallet. As an aside, we typically pass on anthing higher than a verandah.

As far as I'm aware, we are merely debating a concept about which HAL has given no indication that they are even considering implementing on their ships. It is far from a fait accompli....

Are you suggesting that only those who are FOR the idea should be posting?

Not at all.

The bottom line is that it is not up to the people on this forum. Not certain why people would get their knickers in a twist about something that has not happened and has not been announced.

HAL will make changes based on where they see the market moving and where they believe the can maximize revenue. HAL is not running a social club aimed at assauging the 'community spirit' nor do we expect them to.

Just imagine that same menu every day on a 20 day cruise. I may never eat a turkey burger again.

You poor thing. I would never, ever, not even once, eat a burger made from turkey. I consider anyone who serves turkey bacon, turkey meatloaf, or any other imitation made from turkey, guilty of crimes against humanity, second degree. (First degree crimes against humanity always involve liver.) OTOH, a good sliced turkey breast sandwich is wonderful.

Well, I used to think this is a bad idea, for reasons well-stated by others, but I've changed my mind.

If they do this, it's a win-win. The cruise line can pick up extra revenue, so that they can still afford to offer really competitive pricing for "regular" sailors, without having to cheap out on things so much, as they've been doing recently. Seems like with one price fits all, in a very competitive marketplace, quality has suffered.

You poor thing. I would never, ever, not even once, eat a burger made from turkey. I consider anyone who serves turkey bacon, turkey meatloaf, or any other imitation made from turkey, guilty of crimes against humanity, second degree. (First degree crimes against humanity always involve liver.) OTOH, a good sliced turkey breast sandwich is wonderful.

There's a place in Sun Valley that serves turkey and apple sausage. About the best thing I've ever eaten.