No Croatia ports from Princess

dee66

We were looking into a cruise that includes Dubrovnik and other ports along the Dalmatian coast, but it appears Princess does not have a cruise for these ports. I was surprised and wondering if others that normally cruise Princess use another cruise line. Has Princess never done these ports?

Thanks.

We were looking into a cruise that includes Dubrovnik and other ports along the Dalmatian coast, but it appears Princess does not have a cruise for these ports. I was surprised and wondering if others that normally cruise Princess use another cruise line. Has Princess never done these ports?

Thanks.

Is it not to do with the ban on large ships going into Venice. They do not have anything over 100,000 ton.

Very uncertain if this is now a legal ban or a voluntary ban as the courts change their minds quite a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It looks like I did miss the few that stop in Dubrovnik, but it appears they do not go during the summer. Mainly, in May or after labor day which is off-peak time when schools are back in session.

Thanks.

We will be cruising from Rome to Venice on October 28. Princess recently dropped our overnight in Istanbul. One of the ports they added was Dubrovnik.

Is there to much trouble in Istanbul? is that why Princess dropped the stop.

Tony

I was surprised and wondering if others that normally cruise Princess use another cruise line.

SEE: My sig for more info.

Princess E Med. itineraries are pretty vanilla IMHO. Princess has apparently yielded to the other (so-called) mainstream lines in this region in both quantity and quality.

Princess currently has only two ships in the fleet(Island Princess & Pacific Princess) sized to sail into/out of Venice, Italy...As such, Princess sailings including multiple Adriatic/Dalmation Coast ports of call are increasingly rare and/or occurring off peak-season.

Edited by Skai

Princess currently has only two ships in the fleet(Island Princess & Pacific Princess) sized to sail into/out of Venice, Italy...As such, Princess sailings including multiple Adriatic/Dalmation Coast ports of call are increasingly rare and/or occurring off peak-season.

I thought they rescinded that restriction?

I thought they rescinded that restriction?

I read that somewhere too...However as you surely know, cruise itineraries are scheduled well in advance and perhaps Princess didn't want to take any risks having to adapt to ever changing regulations.

I also read somewhere that Venice is building a new port that will be able to accomodate larger vessels, though IIRC, it will be built on an artificial island in the lagoon.

So the sail into/out of the Venice shipping canal will be nixed -- As well as perhaps the ease of walking off the ship and using the people-mover to Piazzale Roma for easy access to Venice proper. I believe that cruise passengers will need to be shuttled in on large tenders from the new port.

We did a med cruise on Princess a couple of years ago which started with an overnight in Venice and disembarked in Rome. One of the first ports was Dubrovnik. Beautiful city and port. Did the old walled city...so neat. The only hiccup was the currency. We were told the fort entrance would accept our Euros or US Dollars, but when we got to the entrance they only accepted the local currency or Visa.

We will be cruising from Rome to Venice on October 28. Princess recently dropped our overnight in Istanbul. One of the ports they added was Dubrovnik.

If you are okay with climbing a long flight of stairs to get up there, do consider walking the city wall of Dubrovnik. The walk all the way around is, as I recall, about a mile, but the walking surface was reasonably smooth. The views of the city are excellent from that vantage point. Its one of the things that I am very glad I did.

If you are okay with climbing a long flight of stairs to get up there, do consider walking the city wall of Dubrovnik. The walk all the way around is, as I recall, about a mile, but the walking surface was reasonably smooth. The views of the city are excellent from that vantage point. Its one of the things that I am very glad I did.

The shops on the ground were fine too. We enjoyed walking around with a very tasty ice cream on hand bought inside.

Once upon a time we chose our cruises based on the cruise line. But about thirty years ago (yes, that is 30) we realized that having "loyalty" to 1 or 2 lines made little sense for those that really love to travel to new places. Now, having cruised on 14 different lines (and also river boats and numerous extensive land driving trips) we have never looked back. Yes, we still have our favorite lines (Princess is one of a few) but itinerary is still king :). As to Dubrovnik, been there many times (our most recent visit was on the Prinsendam in April) and it becomes more wonderful every year :).

As to Princess, like several other mass market lines they seen to get locked into certain itineraries which they repeat again and again. As a result, this is part of the reason why our Princess cruises have declined in recent years...while we have done more and more with Celebrity and HAL (and some other smaller ship lines). So my advice to the OP is expand your horizons and start looking at other cruise lines that offer more interesting itineraries. Otherwise, you can continue to post and complain about Princess not going here or there.....and we will all listen. But doubt if Princess will listen.

Hank