First time on Celebrity

LarryF

Hello folks,

DW and I will be sailing on the Celebrity Reflection at the end of May 2017. This will be our first cruise on Celebrity and we are very excited as we have always wanted to sail on Celebrity. We mostly sail on Princess and have also cruised on RCCL, HAL and NCL.

What I'd like to know is what are some things on Celebrity and in particular the Reflection that only seasoned Celebrity cruisers know about. For instance when we sailed the Coral Princess to Alaska, there is a small outside deck that is the best area to view the Glaciers while cruising. Hardly anyone knows about this deck as you have to go through a door that says, crew only; however they don't mind if you go out on this deck. Another example, Princess sells a coffee card for $27 that you get get 15 specialty coffee drinks as well as unlimited free brewed coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc. from the International Cafe (Princess' coffee bar). That comes out to $1.80 for any specialty coffee drink (lattes, cappuccinos, espresso, etc.).

So what are some things on Celebrity ships (Reflection) that would benefit the novice Celebrity cruiser like me?

Thanks,

Larry

The pastries in Al Bacio are delicious and included in your fare. If you have a beverage package, the drinks are as well. Try the Aspen coffee. It's my favourite!

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Thanks, this info will come in very handy! Any other suggestions out there??

Our last Princess was the Ruby in 2012, and still had some punches left on the coffee card!:D Celebrity has 4-5-6 different types of beverage packages you can buy. But nothing like the coffee card.

We were last on the Reflection in 2013. The specialty restaurants cost is higher than the Crown Grill, but the meal's are well worth it. Look at a 3 or 5 day package. This will bring the cost down under $30 pp per dinner. The steak at the Lawn Club Grill is wonderful. The new Sushi on 5 is getting rave reviews from friends who have been.

What cat cabin are you booking? This would change ideas on how and what to do.

EW

Our last Princess was the Ruby in 2012, and still had some punches left on the coffee card!:D Celebrity has 4-5-6 different types of beverage packages you can buy. But nothing like the coffee card.

We were last on the Reflection in 2013. The specialty restaurants cost is higher than the Crown Grill, but the meal's are well worth it. Look at a 3 or 5 day package. This will bring the cost down under $30 pp per dinner. The steak at the Lawn Club Grill is wonderful. The new Sushi on 5 is getting rave reviews from friends who have been.

What cat cabin are you booking? This would change ideas on how and what to do.

EW

Thanks for the information! That's good to know about the specialty restaurants. We are booked in an inside cabin. DW likes to have total darkness when she sleeps and we also want to save money to put towards Specialty restaurants and excursions. :)

The 'special deck' on Celebrity is the helipad . It is used for viewing while sailing through ..special areas. Access is by invitation only unless announced . Usually open to all going through the Panama Canal. No handicap access and close toe shoes only

Thanks for the information! That's good to know about the specialty restaurants. We are booked in an inside cabin. DW likes to have total darkness when she sleeps and we also want to save money to put towards Specialty restaurants and excursions. :)

Ok, inside, so you will have no added 'perks'.

Wine, beer, martinis? Or just coffee and waters?

You will find the ship and presentation closer to Princess. We are Diamond on RCCL, think 6 Flags, vs country club.

You have a long time until you sail, so just keep reading these boards, and definitely get on your Roll Call so you can begin conversations with the people sailing with you.

I like dark too but I really would feel claustrophobic in an inside. A lot of people like the dark and are like me, so they take clips (clothespins, etc.) to hold the curtains together, or eye masks. You should keep looking at the prices, as up until final payment you will find that cabin prices fluctuate. A lot. A balcony cabin might just be perfectly priced at some point. Just keep checking. Heck, sometimes things happen and balconies are less than insides or ocean views.

Be sure that you get a Captain's Club number so that any points you have on RCCL will be transferred to Celebrity. I don't know how many RCCL cruises you've been on, but if it's enough, you could be on a higher loyalty status on X already.

*** if you have your cruises past and future under your signature I don't know it because I disabled that feature long ago. -- I hate scrolling past all that -- I did it because after one roll call we were on it got ridiculous as everyone "copied" everything and it all reproduced here and the signatures and photos were just too long. All I see now is the body of the posting from everyone and that's how I like it. I never got why people needed to see where someone had been or where someone was going, or their favorite quote or a blinking martini glass or the large icon of every single ship a person had cruised on.

We are going on our first Celebrity cruise in June. We're Diamond on Royal and now have our Captain's Club # as Elite on Celebrity. We booked 3 OV cabins as we are paying for my Grandson and a friend a cabin as part of his Graduation (college) gift. We got a good deal because we all got the four perks and I like getting the free 20-items of laundry. My Grandson is Diamond/Elite but his friend who is sharing his cabin is not. If he gets the priority ticket for tendering does his girlfriend get to use the same tender service with him? I'm sharing a cabin with his other Grandmother, who also is not Elite. Will she get to leave on the same tender with me?

My DH and I were on the Reflection DEC 2013 and on the Solistice previously. We discovered the Cellar Masters, which is a self-serve wine bar that dispenses wine in various sizes, such as 1 oz, 3 oz, 5 oz (I don't remember the exact offering). It is usually very quiet and it gives you the opportunity to try some exquisite wines that might otherwise be out of reach, or you might decide you don't care for if you could only purchase a full glass.

Since we're not heavy drinkers, we found it made more sense to spend our alcohol budget there (as well as bringing a bottle or two on board and enjoying in our stateroom).

Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My DH and I were on the Reflection DEC 2013 and on the Solistice previously. We discovered the Cellar Masters, which is a self-serve wine bar that dispenses wine in various sizes, such as 1 oz, 3 oz, 5 oz (I don't remember the exact offering). It is usually very quiet and it gives you the opportunity to try some exquisite wines that might otherwise be out of reach, or you might decide you don't care for if you could only purchase a full glass.

Since we're not heavy drinkers, we found it made more sense to spend our alcohol budget there (as well as bringing a bottle or two on board and enjoying in our stateroom).

Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The machines have been removed from all Celebrity ships.

The Aqua Spa Cafe is for everyone and serves a light and healthy breakfast and lunch. Don't miss the peach bread pudding and the ficelle bread. Try eating dinner al fresco one night by taking your dinner from the buffet outside. The free ice cream in the buffet is made on board and is delicious. Also you can get hamburgers, hot dogs and turkey burgers freshly grilled at the Mast Grill. Afternoon Tea at the buffet features scones, jam and clotted cream, sandwiches, etc. very, very delicious.

Enjoy!

Prior to posting my reply, I went to the Celebrity website to get the right name (Cellar Masters). So, as of today, it is still noted on the Celebrity website!!!!

We LOVED Cellar Masters! [emoji35]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cellar Masters is still alive. The Enomatic Wine Dispensing Systems have been removed.

Prior to posting my reply, I went to the Celebrity website to get the right name (Cellar Masters). So, as of today, it is still noted on the Celebrity website!!!!

We LOVED Cellar Masters! [emoji35]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cellar Masters is still there, but the enomatic machines have been removed.

DW and I prefer to stay in inside cabins. On Reflection they are the same interior space as a balcony cabin.

It gets dark in there so you may oversleep unless you have an alarm clock or phone, preferably a clock that has illuminated hands. DW usually brings a night light. 1 smart cc-er said to bring an electric candle. Sounds like a good idea.

As soon as she gets on the ship DW likes to go up to the spa (Persian Gardens). They sell a limited number of passes for the week which give you unlimited access to the heated stone tile beds and the rain mist showers. It's not expensive, I think it was $89.

One of the things we like to do is go to the Sunset bar which is in the stern of the ship when leaving ports and watch the wake of the ship and the port vanish in the distance. There is nice cushioned seating back there. It is on the same deck as the Lawn Club.

Alternately you can sit outside at the back of the Oceanview Cafe (buffet) and get a nice view. Surprise there is a bar near there too.

When you get in the Oceanview Cafe they always have a nice carving station.

I had some of the best turkey I ever had from there. If you are a smoked salmon and herring fan they keep it in the back of the cafe on the side by the desserts. DW likes the sandwich bar where they make the greatest tuna salad on a sandwich bread plus a lot of other fillings.

Two things I want to highlight. First, on the pool level by the front elevators is the Solarium. They have cushioned wood recliners in this adults only area with a nice pool. They have hot tubs in there. They also have a small area called the Spa Cafe where you can get a light breakfast, fresh fruit etc. DW liked to start her day there.

Second, they have these special drinks of the day. One is a Bahama Mama which is sweet and packs a punch. The other is a Mudslide which is DW's favorite. They line the glass with Hershey Chocolate syrup and pour lots of adult stuff in there with ice all crushed up. The best thing DW says is that it is non-caloric (HA).

We were on Reflection in March with my adult children and their fiances

and we really had a blast. I am sure you will too.