First Timer - Live From Noordam

kjbacon

PS ... The Pinnacle Grill doesn't open before 8am so if you want breakfast prior, you are in The Lido with a mob, one of the things we really dislike.

Breakfast in the Pinnacle is awesome. One of my favorite perks of having a Neptune Suite. Same food as breakfast in the MDR but awesome service, great views, and such a relaxing atmosphere to start your day.

PS ... The Pinnacle Grill doesn't open before 8am so if you want breakfast prior, you are in The Lido with a mob, one of the things we really dislike.

Ships with 2000 passengers can create a "mob" at certain times for certain events. Seasoned cruisers accept this, and chose their dining times accordingly. This is a group event ship; not a personal service ship, Even in Neptune Suites once you step outside their cocoon.

Though I assume they would have gotten a hot omelette to this Neptune cabin with dispatch had they availed themselves of this option and avoided the Lido crowds.

BTW: I used intentional misrepresentation as it was intended - you had constructive knowledge of dining venues and hours as soon as you boarded and read the ship information material in your cabin. To say there were no other options for food during those hours was an intentional misrepresentation.

Again back to this being a mass market cruise line, the staff cannot disrupt their set hours for meal prep in the Lido to accommodate the demands of a single passenger. Passengers have to give the staff some breaks too as they have their jobs and times to complete their own tasks for the greater good of all the other passengers.

Bye.

Edited by OlsSalt

I am glad to report to my lifeboat so I can know exactly where I must go from my stateroom. I am tired of being Mrs. Do-Goody and following rules while other do what they please and crab about it. When you get to your room sit down and read the bulletin---the Rules for Muster drills are right there, turn on the tv and voila more info and Hark!! was that an announcement I hear--hey it is about mandatory muster drill. Does that mean me---I haven't finished my cocktail and unpacking. Do they really throw you off if you don't attend? I have been on Disney and I didn't like meeting in an auditorium but the drill was well run...If passengers with little ones can do it right there, why can't they get themselves to the right station on HAL? New on a ship? Get the map and take a walk around noting important stops....Lounges don't rank as important for the first few hrs!:):) !!!!

p.s I have never met a rude HAL staff person. I especially like the security personnel!:):)

I am glad to report to my lifeboat so I can know exactly where I must go from my stateroom. I am tired of being Mrs. Do-Goody and following rules while other do what they please and crab about it. When you get to your room sit down and read the bulletin---the Rules for Muster drills are right there, turn on the tv and voila more info and Hark!! was that an announcement I hear--hey it is about mandatory muster drill. Does that mean me---I haven't finished my cocktail and unpacking. Do they really throw you off if you don't attend? I have been on Disney and I didn't like meeting in an auditorium but the drill was well run...If passengers with little ones can do it right there, why can't they get themselves to the right station on HAL? New on a ship? Get the map and take a walk around noting important stops....Lounges don't rank as important for the first few hrs!:):) !!!!

p.s I have never met a rude HAL staff person. I especially like the security personnel!:):)

Would you happen to know if you are on a 14 day or 21 day cruise with HAL that is also 2 or 3 7 day cruises, do you have to go to the lifeboat drill for each 7 day cruise since new people are getting on and some are getting off?

Just another thing that's confusing me.

I just got off the Noordam Sunday. Checking back in my On Locations, the Dive In (and taco and nacho bar) was open every day 11:30 to 5, pizza and pasta available 11:30 to 7, Deli (pre-made sandwiches) available 11 to 5. I don't know the hours, but DH seemed to get ice cream and cookies at all hours lol! I had an omelet twice, both times went quickly, there were always 2 cooks. They did take attendance at muster, names not there were called out over the loudspeaker and we were held until (I assume) everyone was accounted for.

I just got off the Noordam Sunday. Checking back in my On Locations, the Dive In (and taco and nacho bar) was open every day 11:30 to 5, pizza and pasta available 11:30 to 7, Deli (pre-made sandwiches) available 11 to 5. I don't know the hours, but DH seemed to get ice cream and cookies at all hours lol! I had an omelet twice, both times went quickly, there were always 2 cooks. They did take attendance at muster, names not there were called out over the loudspeaker and we were held until (I assume) everyone was accounted for.

Sounds like SOP for every cruise I've been on (with a little variation in how long it took to get an omelet; depends on how many people are already in line when I get there).

Where do I start lol! The staff has been closer to rude than helpful (not all, but many). We are traveling with 3 other couples and we all dropped our jaws when our waiter laid into one of our group for asking the most simple and innocent question. He, of all people, is perhaps the most gentle soul that I know so all the more shocking! Communication in general is horrible, no one know what's going on. There are times when all the restaurants are closed .... yesterday we overheard a man begging at the Lido Buffet at 2 or 3pm for anything to eat! The breakfast buffet opens at 7 and is the only game in town; it is a mob scene. My husband waited a half hour in line for an omelet. We are in a Neptune Suite and our shower is smaller than a phone booth. Their internet (which is not cheap) is down more often than it is connected (no refunds). Lifeboat drill was worse than a joke. Didn't even take attendance!! We don't have a lifeboat as ours is in Skagway for service. When asked, we were told that in the event of a real emergency, we should report to this empty spot and then they would tell us where to go. Really? Yes, let's wait for mass hysteria to redirect 75 +\- people to multiple locations. Thats a good start!!

I had a complete different experience, just got off the Noordam 2 weeks ago, drill was excellent, Cptn Bos even came on the sound system to tell the pax the be quiet so the drill would go faster, on sea days the lido can be full, so you can have a (good) breakfast in the dining room or pinnacle, the service was impeccable etc. and by the way the lifeboat (13) is in Juneau for repairs..

Yes, all Neptune suites can have breakfast in the Pinnacle dining room or special seating service in the Upper MDR. Plus room service is available for hot breakfasts from about 6 am onwards. I believe there is also continental breakfast available earlier than the opening of the Lido lines. Dining hours are well posted and to say "nothing to eat was available" across the entire ship is an intentional misrepresentation. The Dive In is open, room service is 24 hour and there is the nacho bar by the pool that stays open for pre-dinner snacks.

These descriptions don't sound like any experiences we have had on any HAL ship after 350 days onboard, so hopefully this was a one-off experience for this particular passenger. Unfortunate when it all starts going down hill, then the small things start to accelerate. But we have also yet to hear the "other side of the story".

If one finds the shower stall in the Neptune suites not to their liking size wise, they can always use the shower in the tub. There were alternatives so one can reasonably speculate about an attitude which might have not been able to see the options and alternatives. No one can deny this person's reality but it appears HAL is not a good fit, nor is his experience even remotely similar to those others have had after many, many HAL cruises.

Thanks. That's good info.

Would you happen to know if whether you need to go to all the lifeboat drills if you are on a 14 day cruise on HAL and it is also two 7 day cruises?

Thanks. That's good info.

Would you happen to know if whether you need to go to all the lifeboat drills if you are on a 14 day cruise on HAL and it is also two 7 day cruises?

I believe every time there are new passengers groups boarding, everyone needs to attend the drill. No waivers. Part of the exercise is making sure all the passengers can traffic through the ship and report as requested.

Not my favorite activity either, but DH and I reward ourselves by waiting on the muster deck until the crowds have thinned out and then heading up to the Crows Nest for our first day sail away tradition - a Tropa-Mango-Mojito and some salted nuts as the ship finally pulls away - just enough peanuts to ruin my appetite for dinner. :cool:

Edited by OlsSalt

I believe every time there are new passengers groups boarding, everyone needs to attend the drill. No waivers. Part of the exercise is making sure all the passengers can traffic through the ship and report as requested.

Not my favorite activity either, but DH and I reward ourselves by waiting on the muster deck until the crowds have thinned out and then heading up to the Crows Nest for our first day sail away tradition - a Tropa-Mango-Mojito and some salted nuts as the ship finally pulls away - just enough peanuts to ruin my appetite for dinner. :cool:

Thanks. I was wondering about this because our cruise is also part of a 21 day cruise which is made up of three 7 day cruises. That means if someone books the 21 day they would have to go to the drill three times!

Yes and I am the same if I eat anything after 3:00 PM I ruin my dinner!

Edited by marycruz

Yes and I am the same if I eat anything after 3:00 PM I ruin my dinner!

When I do the same, which is more often than not, I just order the dinner salad or a few appetizer. That helps.

Some cruises I have just the dinner salad practically the entire time - and don't mind it at al,l because I get to eat the fun stuff too.

But then I am not a big dinner eater in the first place - more of a grazer. (Which is why I bemoaned a slow and steady weight gain over these past 350 cruise days, duh?). Love port intensive cruises for one main thing - they get me out walking it off to at least stay even.

And one reason I have liked Neptune Lounge cabins in the past is they have small bite items, which are just the right size bites for me.

Edited by OlsSalt

When I do the same, which is more often than not, I just order the dinner salad or a few appetizer. That helps.

Some cruises I have just the dinner salad practically the entire time - and don't mind it at al,l because I get to eat the fun stuff too.

But then I am not a big dinner eater in the first place - more of a grazer. (Which is why I bemoaned a slow and steady weight gain over these past 350 cruise days, duh?). Love port intensive cruises for one main thing - they get me out walking it off to at least stay even.

And one reason I have liked Neptune Lounge cabins in the past is they have small bite items, which are just the right size bites for me.

We will also have a Neptune suite next year on the Eurodam. It will be new for us so I am hoping we like it. Tasty bites sound great. I'm not always hungry either. Especially for breakfast. I normally have coffee first and then am not hungry for a couple of hours. I hope they have little donuts or pastries in there.

Do you know if the cabins on deck 6 (Neptune Suites) are good ones? We could not get one of deck 7 and I am assuming it's because everyone wanted to be by the lounge. I don't mind walking up the stairs to get to it but is there anything different between the suites on 6 and 6? I think we have an SA .

The Neptune Lounge has great small bites for breakfast. I used it all the time. Cold items like fruit, cream cheese and smoked salmon for bagels etc, yogurt parfaits, but they have a toaster for their very enticing tray of fresh pastries and breads. Juices too. You also get hot coffee, specialty coffees, tea or cocoa in the NL.

When not in a Neptune suite I get DH to bring me back boxes of granola and yogurt which I keep stocked up in the refrigerator and then mix up in the cabin each morning, along with the bowl of fresh oranges the cabin steward keeps well-stocked for us.

Later in the day they restock with small bite snacks and open faced sandwiches Later in the afternoon it change again to more ore-dinner appetizer type nibbles. And always a lovely tray of small refined cookies and chocolates.

We will also have a Neptune suite next year on the Eurodam. It will be new for us so I am hoping we like it. Tasty bites sound great. I'm not always hungry either. Especially for breakfast. I normally have coffee first and then am not hungry for a couple of hours. I hope they have little donuts or pastries in there.

Do you know if the cabins on deck 6 (Neptune Suites) are good ones? We could not get one of deck 7 and I am assuming it's because everyone wanted to be by the lounge. I don't mind walking up the stairs to get to it but is there anything different between the suites on 6 and 6? I think we have an SA .

You will probably get more responses to your specific questions if you start a new thread. More people will see your questions if they aren't buried in this thread :)