Weather Concerns

srkitten

We are heading out Thursday from Port Canaveral and I am seeing news about Invest 99L and wondering if it develops into a tropical storm if they will cancel our cruise or just go out to sea and avoid the weather? Any experience in this?

We are heading out Thursday from Port Canaveral and I am seeing news about Invest 99L and wondering if it develops into a tropical storm if they will cancel our cruise or just go out to sea and avoid the weather? Any experience in this?

With my experience with Hurricane Gustav a few years back, we sailed around the storm and had one of the smoothest sailings ever. I called Carnival several times and was assured that the cruise would go on but all precautions would be taken for our safety. As far as the ports, some may change or you may have additional sea days depending on exactly what path the storm takes

Visit the National Hurricane Center website for up to date info. I am in South Florida and there is a tropical wave (not a hurricane) headed our way by the weekend. They are predicting heavy rain and perhaps high winds, but the National Hurricane Center will give you updates two or three times daily.

Visit the National Hurricane Center website for up to date info. I am in South Florida and there is a tropical wave (not a hurricane) headed our way by the weekend. They are predicting heavy rain and perhaps high winds, but the National Hurricane Center will give you updates two or three times daily.

No one said anything about a hurricane.

As of right now, it's a 70% chance to bee upgraded to a named storm (tropical storm first) within 48 hours

I cruised through Tropical Storm Sean, 20 foot waves, I had a blast, most folks stuck to their cabins.:D On the other hand, I body surfed in Half Moon Cay, and had a wonderfully sunny day in Nassau. It was a great cruise-Carnival captains really are doing everything in their power to keep you safe.

You may not get to where you are going, but you will be fed, rested and entertained.

They will not cancel and why cruise during this time of the year if you are concerned about hurricanes.

They will not cancel and why cruise during this time of the year if you are concerned about hurricanes.

I think everyone who sails this time of year, me included, is "concerned" with hurricanes. Why wouldn't you be? They can affect your trip. However, "concerned" doesn't necessarily have to mean you are worried. "Concerned" can just mean that you are taking an interest in something.

I book during this time of year because rates are lower and kids are back in school. I "concern" myself with hurricanes because they can affect my trip, but I don't necessarily worry about them or stress about them.

Spaghetti models have this all over the place. But I'd say it looks like a wet time for Nassau or any of the Bahamasa and probably KeyWest. Or those leaving from POM this weekend. Sailing out of PC might be a tad on the rough side first night.

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2016/Invest-99L?map=ensmodel

No one said anything about a hurricane.

As of right now, it's a 70% chance to bee upgraded to a named storm (tropical storm first) within 48 hours

But the National Hurricane Center monitors all disturbances in the Atlantic and is a good source of information.

I head out next Saturday 9/3 out of Ft Lauderdale towards the southern Caribbean and I decided to just ignore weather. I experienced a cyclone in the Mediterranean last fall and stopped taking seasickness meds my second cruise. My best recommendation is if you are prone to motion sickness on small boats that if waters are rough- take it. I definitely needed it with those seas!

Just make sure you pack the right attitude. Think of it as an adventure. Your itinerary may be changed! Ports may be cancelled! Extra sea days! This is the stuff of which good travel stories are made. Nobody back home wants to hear you say "We went on a cruise. It was sunny. It was beautiful. We came home." How boring!

Have fun on your adventure. :)