Wi Fi Coverage on Canada New England Cruise

trbarton

What has been people's experiences with Wi Fi options on a Canada New England cruise? Good coverage in Canada?

I'm interested in the coverage in the various ports, especially Canada.

Tom😎

Edited by trbarton

What has been people's experiences with Wi Fi options on a Canada New England cruise? Good coverage in Canada?

Tom😎

Hard to tell, Celebrity has never been in New England or Canada with the new internet. It was just installed earlier this year. I can tell you that it was much better this year than in 2015 in Bermuda.

Hard to tell, Celebrity has never been in New England or Canada with the new internet. It was just installed earlier this year. I can tell you that it was much better this year than in 2015 in Bermuda.

Whats been people's experiences in the various ports, especially Canada, not on the ship?

Tom🤔

Edited by trbarton

The ports you will be visiting in Canada are most likely major cities. Why would you think the coverage would be any different than what you would have in any large American city? We are a very modern nation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were able to access the free Wi-Fi on the ship from various ports while docked. I can't remember which ports specifically but a number of them offered it in the terminal building and we were docked next to the building a lot of the time.

We didn't try to find Wi-Fi hot spots off of the ships but I'm sure they existed in places like Tim Hortens, Starbucks, etc..

The further north you go, the slower the internet will be. It was terrible when we were in Iceland in May on the Equinox. The iCafe attendant said that we were on what they call an Extreme Cruise, due to our far north location, and the Internet would not be good until we headed further south.

We were able to access the free Wi-Fi on the ship from various ports while docked. I can't remember which ports specifically but a number of them offered it in the terminal building and we were docked next to the building a lot of the time.

We didn't try to find Wi-Fi hot spots off of the ships but I'm sure they existed in places like Tim Hortens, Starbucks, etc..

Am I to understand that you connected to the free terminal building Wi-Fi while staying on the ship? Was this from your stateroom? Port or Starboard? Did you have to have a password for this free connection?

I'll be on the same cruise as the OP.

Edited by Iamthesea

I'm interested in the coverage in the various ports, especially Canada.

Tom😎

Parts of southern Canada are further south than some of your northern states; is there good coverage in Maine? especially in the forest areas? The ports you'll visit are not 3rd world, nor is the rest of Canada.

Am I to understand that you connected to the free terminal building Wi-Fi while staying on the ship? Was this from your stateroom? Port or Starboard? Did you have to have a password for this free connection?

I'll be on the same cruise as the OP.

Yes, we were able to connect while sitting on our balcony. We were in a CS starboard on deck 6. No password was needed. I don't know how it would be if you were not docked facing the port but you could always try from an outside area on the ship. I was using a Kindle Fire.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

Whats been people's experiences in the various ports, especially Canada, not on the ship?

Tom🤔

Up here in the Great White North you can't swing a dead beaver without hitting a Tim Hortons, Starbucks, or a MacD's. They all have free wifi.

Yes, we were able to connect while sitting on our balcony. We were in a CS starboard on deck 6. No password was needed. I don't know how it would be if you were not docked facing the port but you could always try from an outside area on the ship. I was using a Kindle Fire.

Thank you. We are starboard, Deck 11. I'll give it a try up there, then move down a few decks if we cannot get a signal. :) If all else fails, We can try in the terminal. Of course, we've got our Elite minutes. ;)

Tom🤔

We've done this cruise 10 times.

As of last year: Halifax cruise terminal - free wi-fi, Quebec Terminal - free wi-fi, Charlottetown, PEI - terminal - free wi-fi. Sydney I can't remember - but I think they also had it.

Problem is there are so many people using the free wi-fi - especially crew - that the service can suffer at times.

We've done this cruise 10 times.

As of last year: Halifax cruise terminal - free wi-fi, Quebec Terminal - free wi-fi, Charlottetown, PEI - terminal - free wi-fi. Sydney I can't remember - but I think they also had it.

Problem is there are so many people using the free wi-fi - especially crew - that the service can suffer at times.

How about Boston? It is the only port where I do not expect to be out and about touring all day.