Why do I torture myself?

KarenRB

They would not give you the UBP now. It's too close to sailing. Bookings made within 30 days of sailing do not get perks. Those are your bargain prices, but any bookings at this time are probably going to be guarantee cabins. Consider yourself lucky if you didn't pay the 18% on the UBP.

I booked 8/25 for the Gem on 9/17 mini-suite and got 2 perks....thus much less than 30 days and got perks.

I booked on the 1st and paid in full on the 2nd for a 10/1 sailing on Escape.

When I booked there was a $15 difference between a balcony on deck 14 and one on deck 11. So I took the one on deck 14. Today, the price dropped $150 for the one I got on 14 and it dropped about $400 for the one on deck 11. I'm thoroughly disgusted. I called and they won't do anything except give me $35 OBC. It's my first booking with NCL and looking like it's going to be the last based on their customer service over the phone.

Also, she said I could "upgrade" to a family balcony on deck 8. For basically the same price or something like $5 more than what I've already paid. I asked her what about the cabin was an "upgrade" and she said she "thinks it's bigger". But I checked the floor plan and square footage and I got on the NCL live chat and can't figure out any difference at all except that it might be a connecting room which I have no use for.

I booked on the 1st and paid in full on the 2nd for a 10/1 sailing on Escape.

When I booked there was a $15 difference between a balcony on deck 14 and one on deck 11. So I took the one on deck 14. Today, the price dropped $150 for the one I got on 14 and it dropped about $400 for the one on deck 11. I'm thoroughly disgusted. I called and they won't do anything except give me $35 OBC. It's my first booking with NCL and looking like it's going to be the last based on their customer service over the phone.

Also, she said I could "upgrade" to a family balcony on deck 8. For basically the same price or something like $5 more than what I've already paid. I asked her what about the cabin was an "upgrade" and she said she "thinks it's bigger". But I checked the floor plan and square footage and I got on the NCL live chat and can't figure out any difference at all except that it might be a connecting room which I have no use for.

It took literally 5 seconds to find this:

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/best-price-guarantee

I'd already called them directly and mentioned the price guarantee and they said it doesn't apply due to the fact that we're in the "penalty period" and my balance is fully paid.

Was it within 48 hours of your deposit?

Unfortunately, every cruise line has policies that are very restrictive after final payment. People seem to think, they are entitled to "exceptions" to the agreements they accepted when booking. Sorry no.

I'd already called them directly and mentioned the price guarantee and they said it doesn't apply due to the fact that we're in the "penalty period" and my balance is fully paid.

Fill it out. Then if you get denied, follow up. You cant 'appeal' someone someone's verbal 'no'.

No where in the rules and TandC does it mention the 'penalty period'. If you dont fill out the form, you wont get anything. If you rely on what you were verbally told, you also wont get anything. You have nothing to lose. All you need to do is keep pointing to their own rules which do not mention a penalty period.

Unfortunately, because you kept relying on some NCL rep saying no, you might have now lost out on on NCL's own guarantee because you did not bother to fill out the form within the 48 hours. You can still give it a shot and explain why you are late completing the form.

The general rules are: What is a "Best Price. Guaranteed." Program?

It is Norwegian Cruise Line's guarantee that you will receive the lowest price available at time of booking. If within 48 hours of making your deposit you find a qualifying lower price, advertised to the general public on ncl.com or on a piece of communication directly from Norwegian, Norwegian Cruise Line will offer you the option to take the new reduced price or to receive an Onboard Credit (OBC) equal to 110% of the price difference.

The specific TandC are:

Terms & Conditions

To qualify for the on-board credit, your "Best Price. Guaranteed." claim form must be submitted online within 48 hours of making a fully deposited booking. NCL reserves the right to verify all claims. Go to ncl.com to submit a "Best Price. Guaranteed." claim. Fully complete the "Best Price. Guaranteed." Claim Form by providing all requested information, including the lower rate amount and where it can be found. The lower rate must be (a) for the same ship, sail date, stateroom category and number of guests, and (b) available for booking at the time NCL reviews your completed claim form. Restrictions: available to full individual tariff bookings with deposited cruise fare only; claims must be submitted at least 7 days prior to sailing; guarantee offer does not apply to government fees and taxes and/or fuel supplement (if applicable); lower rates must be publicly advertised fares available to the general public; guarantee offer is not combinable with an NCL fare reduction; guarantee offer excludes: rates from TV and Radio ads, group rates, qualified rates, membership programs, charters or other travel agent promotions not offered by Norwegian Cruise Line to the general public. Offer "does not apply to stateroom guarantees and" excludes travel agent discounts off commission. The on-board credit is non-refundable, non-transferable and has no cash value. Any unused portion of the on-board credit will be forfeited. "Best Price. Guaranteed." program may be discontinued or changed at any time.

From NCL's terms and conditions posted previously...

Restrictions: available to full individual tariff bookings with deposited cruise fare only;

OP's cruise fare was paid in full since the sailing is within 30 days. 48 hour cruise protection does not apply.

I booked a balcony cabin on 8/31 for a 9/18 GA cruise with an online TA and was able to get 2 perks along with OBC from the TA.

The next day I came across this thread and went to look at the prices one day later. Mind you, I had been monitoring this cruise for about 2 months and the only price that ever changed was the guarantee rooms with no perks.

So imagine my surprise when I see the same category I had booked, and been monitoring, dropped $200/pp. From one day to the next.

I call the TA as soon as I see, this leave a message and they said they will research and get back to me.

After a few hours I call NCL myself and they tell me that I need to go through the TA.

Eventually the TA contacts NCL and the TA was able to get me the new rate which resulted in a refund of $400.

All this in less than 24 hours. Didn't matter that I booked a cruise departing in less than 20 days from booking.

Edited by Crusi3r_

[quote name='vince_g']They would not give you the UBP now. It's too close to sailing. Bookings made within 30 days of sailing do not get perks. Those are your bargain prices, but any bookings at this time are probably going to be guarantee cabins. Consider yourself lucky if you didn't pay the 18% on the UBP.[/QUOTE]

Not true. Perks are only excluded if you take a GTY "Sail Away" rate. Otherwise you could book 2 days before and still get the perks if you pay the necessary rate.

[quote name='WashyWashyHappyHappy95']Not true. Perks are only excluded if you take a GTY "Sail Away" rate. Otherwise you could book 2 days before and still get the perks if you pay the necessary rate.[/QUOTE]

Not totally true. There are two guarantee rates...the lowest one and the one above that. For example on Escape, BX and BF are both guaratnee balconies. One comes with perks, the other does not.

[quote name='Buckeye fans']Which one has perks?[/QUOTE]

BF has perks. It was explained to me, by NCL, that they let you book a category that is sold out as a guarantee. I'm sure this only applies to the lower categories and would not be applicable in the Haven.

OP you have company, i booked a haven spa in FEB then had to downgrade later. i watched the prices in hope for an upsell. i watched the spa prices every day and knew the inventory. it started to decrease. then my circumstances changed and i decided i could upgrade. however the room i had booked before already was sold. i wanted a room with no pole and there was only one left....once the free gratuity deal took effect i was lucky enough to book that room i wanted.

yet still i check prices.then the spa rooms sold out. and i still monitor the 2 BRs.. i doubt id want an upsell but the idea of it is tempting