Gluten free beverages?

Hilarry1720

I have been on a Few cruises now and in the MDR you don't have to worry, but in horizon crt one of the chefs will come out and assist you if you ask, the one slip up they did that I picked up was a semolina pudding that was labeled gluten free, I pointed out that semolina is made from wheat, it took a while, but they removed it.

We had a similar problem on the Pacific Princess at the buffet. A dessert was clearly mislabeled as being GF, the adjacent dessert should have been labeled gluten free, but wasn't. When I told them, rather than fix this simple and obvious (to us, but maybe not to all those with celiac disease) mistake, they removed any gluten-free designation from any of the desserts for the rest of the cruise. So DH ate only fruit for dessert at the buffet when we went there. This was a world cruise segment. I would have thought world cruisers received better food and service especially on such a small ship. We did not find this to be true, even in the MDR.

Why do people now have "gluten problems"? You never heard about this 20 years ago. I love my beer, so I never had any problems except my extra 20 pounds I carry around.

Diagnosis is better now than it was 20 years ago. Celiac disease occurs when a celiac gene is expressed or activated. We don't know yet how that gene is activated, but it is believed to be by a significant event, such as a severe viral illness. In some was it is similar to Type II Diabetes which is now much more prevalent than 20 years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello to all who have cruised with Princess that need gluten free meals! Is there anyone at Princess that I need to contact for our upcoming cruise, other than listing it on the "special request" section on the cruise personalizer? We have two in our party that need to eat gluten free! One is new to cruising and I want her to have a great experience!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello to all who have cruised with Princess that need gluten free meals! Is there anyone at Princess that I need to contact for our upcoming cruise, other than listing it on the "special request" section on the cruise personalizer? We have two in our party that need to eat gluten free! One is new to cruising and I want her to have a great experience!

When you log into your cruise personalizer . The is a link to

Medical and Dietary restrictions. We you open this link , at the bottem there is an online form to request any medical/dietary requirements.

They will confirm with an email , tag your booking and leave a card in cabin when you board.

Not counting those with Celiac's, of course, but as far as the "fad" factor, saw an interesting article last week that many who are expounding the found benefits of a gluten-free diet are not actually sensitive to gluten itself, but instead are simply enjoying the positive effects of the overall healthier diet they have now adopted!

Edited by yuccaman

Medical and Dietary restrictions. We you open this link , at the bottem there is an online form to request any medical/dietary requirements.

They will confirm with an email , tag your booking and leave a card in cabin when you board.

Additionally, be sure to verify with the maitre d on the first day. You can meet in the dining room and make sure everything is in order.

Thank you!

There are also alcoholic gluten-free ciders that can be enjoyed on board Princess served by any bartender. They can be enjoyed similarly as a nice cold beer. :)

Many years ago I worked in the gastroenterology department at a regional hospital. With all the 8 years I worked there, we only had two patients who were actually diagnosed with celiac disease. Now celiac has been around for thousands of years, but the increase in the volume of gluten-sensitivity is mostly recent. I don't question that it is real for many people and there are also some people who chose gluten-free as a dietary choice because they feel better without gluten in their diet.

I've often wondered if the increase of gluten intolerance wasn't caused by the genetically modified wheat we see almost everywhere now in our food.

Not counting those with Celiac's, of course, but as far as the "fad" factor, saw an interesting article last week that many who are expounding the found benefits of a gluten-free diet are not actually sensitive to gluten itself, but instead are simply enjoying the positive effects of the overall healthier diet they have now adopted!

Where will the celiacs and gluten intolerant people be when the FAD suddenly dies.

10 years ago there wasn't a lot GF product in the stores. Suddenly it's a FAD

and food manufactures are producing GF by the ton.

And yet, so many GF products are full of rubbish...other than bread from a GF bakery near us (they make loaves of bread that actually taste/feel more or less like real bread, rather than being so heavy they could be used as a deadly weapon) I tend to make/bake most of my own stuff as I'm appalled when I see the extra fat & sugar added to gf stuff vs their non gf equivalents. Personally I can't understand why the fad-followers think it's a healthier choice :eek:

There are also alcoholic gluten-free ciders that can be enjoyed on board Princess served by any bartender. They can be enjoyed similarly as a nice cold beer. :)

Many years ago I worked in the gastroenterology department at a regional hospital. With all the 8 years I worked there, we only had two patients who were actually diagnosed with celiac disease. Now celiac has been around for thousands of years, but the increase in the volume of gluten-sensitivity is mostly recent. I don't question that it is real for many people and there are also some people who chose gluten-free as a dietary choice because they feel better without gluten in their diet.

I've often wondered if the increase of gluten intolerance wasn't caused by the genetically modified wheat we see almost everywhere now in our food.

There is no GMO wheat commercially available.

I pity you gluten folks. I'm sure you wish you could drink a nice cold beer. Yum, but instead, I strongly recommend a nice cold glass of ships water. As we say in Thailand, Arroy, which means delicious! Have a great cruise!

I pity you gluten folks. I'm sure you wish you could drink a nice cold beer. Yum, but instead, I strongly recommend a nice cold glass of ships water. As we say in Thailand, Arroy, which means delicious! Have a great cruise!

Very funny:rolleyes::D ( btw we can get gluten free beer ) :D

Canada produces a lot of GMO wheat As a result we have it in many commercial food products

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Canada does not grow genetically modified wheat on a commercial scale, no country does. gm wheat has been been developed by science, however due to a lack of consumer acceptance it is not grown.

as per page 22 of this link:

http://gmoinquiry.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/where-in-the-world-gm-crops-foods.pdf

There is no genetically modified wheat grown or eaten anywhere in the world, and it has never been on the market. In 2004, Monsanto withdrew requests

for government approval of its GM herbicide-tolerant

Roundup Ready wheat in Canada and the US

because of widespread farmer and consumer

opposition in both countries, as well as in major

international wheat markets.

Also see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_wheat

http://www.gmo-compass.org/eng/grocery_shopping/crops/22.genetically_modified_wheat.html

Even the wheat belly author says wheat is not genetically modified:

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/02/wheat-is-not-genetically-modified/

Wheat has been bred for disease resistance and other traits, but through other breeding techniques, not genetic modification.

Canada does not grow genetically modified wheat on a commercial scale, no country does. gm wheat has been been developed by science, however due to a lack of consumer acceptance it is not grown.

as per page 22 of this link:

http://gmoinquiry.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/where-in-the-world-gm-crops-foods.pdf

There is no genetically modified wheat grown or eaten anywhere in the world, and it has never been on the market. In 2004, Monsanto withdrew requests

for government approval of its GM herbicide-tolerant

Roundup Ready wheat in Canada and the US

because of widespread farmer and consumer

opposition in both countries, as well as in major

international wheat markets.

Also see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_wheat

http://www.gmo-compass.org/eng/grocery_shopping/crops/22.genetically_modified_wheat.html

Even the wheat belly author says wheat is not genetically modified:

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/02/wheat-is-not-genetically-modified/

CGH000241567 CGH000241567 , but through other breeding techniques, not genetic modification.

One thing these reports don't say . Canada grows GMO Canola . The pollen from these plants can blow on the wind to adjacent wheat fields(cross contamination) .Canada has a number of different ways to create GMO products . Hybridization of wheat in Canada is considered to be GMO . Canada also uses gene splicing to create new wheat strains.

Both are considered to be GMO products .

Because of this the EU doesn't allow Wheat or Canola to be imported.

One thing these reports don't say . Canada grows GMO Canola . The pollen from these plants can blow on the wind to adjacent wheat fields(cross contamination) .Canada has a number of different ways to create GMO products . Hybridization of wheat in Canada is considered to be GMO . Canada also uses gene splicing to create new wheat strains.

Both are considered to be GMO products .

Because of this the EU doesn't allow Wheat or Canola to be imported.

Canadian wheat is a major export to the EU:

Canada’s agricultural exports to the EU totalled an annual average of $2.5 billion between 2011 and 2013, led by wheat (durum and common), soybeans and other oilseeds, canola oil, frozen fruits and maple syrup.

source: http://www.international.gc.ca/trade-agreements-accords-commerciaux/agr-acc/ceta-aecg/benefits-avantages/agriculture-agricoles.aspx?lang=eng

Canadian wheat is a major export to the EU:

Canada’s agricultural exports to the EU totalled an annual average of $2.5 billion between 2011 and 2013, led by wheat (durum and common), soybeans and other oilseeds, canola oil, frozen fruits and maple syrup.

source: http://www.international.gc.ca/trade-agreements-accords-commerciaux/agr-acc/ceta-aecg/benefits-avantages/agriculture-agricoles.aspx?lang=eng

I don't have any knowledge of the GMO issues, but just saying, this has nothing to do with celiac disease, it's the Protein part of the grain of wheat, barley, rye and (still conversations going on re- oats) that causes the damage to the small intestine :)

I don't have any knowledge of the GMO issues, but just saying, this has nothing to do with celiac disease, it's the Protein part of the grain of wheat, barley, rye and (still conversations going on re- oats) that causes the damage to the small intestine :)

The sensitivity to wheat grown exponential in the last 10 years in Canada . This mostly to production of GMO wheat in Canada.

Larger quantities of wheat produced aren't GMO.

Farmers have complained that they can' use the seed from one crop to a new one next year. The seeds they get if been modified so that the seed produced can't grow and produce seed again.

The sensitivity to wheat grown exponential in the last 10 years in Canada . This mostly to production of GMO wheat in Canada.

Larger quantities of wheat produced aren't GMO.

Farmers have complained that they can' use the seed from one crop to a new one next year. The seeds they get if been modified so that the seed produced can't grow and produce seed again.

I dont know where you are getting your information from but this is just false. And again. There is no genetically modified wheat grown commercially anywhere. Breeding techniques used to create new varieties of wheat are not genetic modification. Please stop posting incorrect information.

Yes I agree GMOs don't have anything to do with celiac disease. But another poster implied that it did. And ever since then Kamloops50 has been posting incorrect information about the existence of GM wheat which I have been trying to counter with facts and links to support those facts.

Edited by Storm Monkey

Yes I agree GMOs don't have anything to do with celiac disease. But another poster implied that it did. And ever since then Kamloops50 has been posting incorrect information about the existence of GM wheat which I have been trying to counter with facts and links to support those facts.

Yes sometimes when someone is on the misinformation train, no matter how many stations it stops at, truth, fact, correct (helpful) information they will just not get off :rolleyes: :)