Gluten free beverages?

Hilarry1720

I have read quite a lot of gluten free food comments but have not seen anything about beverages, I know it seems strange to ask about drinks being gluten free but quite a lot of alcoholic drinks are not gluten free and what I am more interested in asking about is the speciallity coffees and hot chocolate as these are prepared in powder form, would any one know if these are gluten free?

Thanks

Hilarry1720

I have read quite a lot of gluten free food comments but have not seen anything about beverages, I know it seems strange to ask about drinks being gluten free but quite a lot of alcoholic drinks are not gluten free and what I am more interested in asking about is the speciallity coffees and hot chocolate as these are prepared in powder form, would any one know if these are gluten free?

Thanks

Hilarry1720

Check out here:

http://www.glutenfreesurvivalguide.org/gluten-free-diet-guide/gluten-free-drinks/

and for a little more about alcoholic drinks, here:

http://www.glutenfreesurvivalguide.org/gluten-free-diet-guide/gluten-free-alcohol/

Why do people now have "gluten problems"? You never heard about this 20 years ago. I love my beer, so I never had any problems except my extra 20 pounds I carry around.

Interesting comment.

Surprised you've never heard of coeliac disease. It can be life threatening, or even fatal, to those who suffer from it if not careful to avoid foods and drinks that contain gluten.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeliac_disease

BTW, has the consumption of beer caused you to have any medical conditions besides being overweight? I ask because I don't drink alcohol. :)

Enjoy your cruise (and your love of beer). ;)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Interesting comment.

Surprised you've never heard of coeliac disease. It can be life threatening, or even fatal, to those who suffer from it if not careful to avoid foods and drinks that contain gluten.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeliac_disease

BTW, has the consumption of beer caused you to have any medical conditions besides being overweight? I ask because I don't drink alcohol. :)

Enjoy your cruise (and your love of beer). ;)

Celiac only affects about 1% of the population, so it's no surprise he may not have heard of it. Celiac doesn't even begin explain the current gluten free craze. For most people, I think it's a diet fad, like so many before it, and will fade in popularity when the next "big thing" comes along. I'm not saying that to make light of those who have the disease.

hmmm i'd be surprised if any drinks contain gluten aside from the obvious alcoholic ones, but you should ask to see labels if you are super sensitive.

Sorry but you are so wrong if you are going to get glutened it is often in coffee and hot chocolate and sometime tea if they are made with powder as wheat is added to these items to keep them flowing .

Wheat is added to lots of food to keep it from sticking together. we avoid any special coffees ect on board as we cannot take the chance.

Also ask questions of the staff about what is in the drinks.

COELIAC is not a fad it is a way of light, which if you don't keep to will make you very ill.

99% of all Coeliac's do not know that they are Coeliacs till the damage has been done.

Celiac only affects about 1% of the population, so it's no surprise he may not have heard of it. Celiac doesn't even begin explain the current gluten free craze. For most people, I think it's a diet fad, like so many before it, and will fade in popularity when the next "big thing" comes along. I'm not saying that to make light of those who have the disease.

Be careful with that number. In the USA 1% of your population would be over 3 million people. For a cruise ship probably close to 30 passengers would have the disease if you are going off 1%.

Be careful with that number. In the USA 1% of your population would be over 3 million people. For a cruise ship probably close to 30 passengers would have the disease if you are going off 1%.

True, and as I said, it wasn't my intention to make light of the disease, or those who suffer from it. However, surveys have shown that gluten free diets currently appeal to as much as 30% of American adults, which is a far cry from 1% with the celiac disease. Certainly gives the impression that "gluten free" is the current fad.

Edited by hapster85

I would expected that at least 10-15 people would be coeliacs on a 1500-2000 people ship. I have seen the list on Coeliacs on a MDR sheet and it was around 20 plus people. We have sat randomly at a table of 8 and 6 were Coeliacs so it is not as usually as people think.

Also the point I was making is that a lot of people may have Coeliacs but don't know it or at least in the UK as we don't test people for it you have to ask.

Why do people now have "gluten problems"? You never heard about this 20 years ago. I love my beer, so I never had any problems except my extra 20 pounds I carry around.

I wish I knew "why" i have Celiac. Why my son has it as well.. I stopped asking why many years ago and just avoid gluten all together. .. I appreciate your question OP. Thank you

Edited by Michelle19

:eek: wow, a fad? Not in the least

:eek: wow, a fad? Not in the least

Yes, the gluten free diet craze is the current diet fad for most people. Most of the people doing gluten free have no clue why it's even a thing, or even know what celiac disease is. Those people will eventually find a new diet craze. Hopefully, once that happens, and the spotlight is no longer shining on it, gluten free options for those who really need it won't also fade. The craze has been a boon for those who suffer from celiac, because they now have more options than ever before.

I would expected that at least 10-15 people would be coeliacs on a 1500-2000 people ship. I have seen the list on Coeliacs on a MDR sheet and it was around 20 plus people. We have sat randomly at a table of 8 and 6 were Coeliacs so it is not as usually as people think.

Also the point I was making is that a lot of people may have Coeliacs but don't know it or at least in the UK as we don't test people for it you have to ask.

A lot of people do not know they have it. It is hard bringing up a child who has discovered at a young age that they have it. Often other adults pressure children into eating food saying "it will be fine" and it damages them. The pressure for the ship would be managing cross contamination because for that disease not even utensils used to touch gluten foods can be used to serve gluten free food.

I am guessing there would have to be a special part of the galley for the gluten free preparation.

If genetics has anything to do with it there can also be gluten intolerant people who do not have the disease but display minor symptoms of not accepting gluten and they are better off taking it out of their diet.

In Italy, I believe 4% of the population has celiac disease. Children are tested for it and families are reimbursed for the extra expense of gluten-free food. I think the number may exceed 1% in the US as well. Some people do not have celiac disease, but do have gluten intolerance. Some just feel better when they don't eat it.

Many people probably are on a fad diet, but this has increased the options dramatically for those who need to be gluten-free. When DH was diagnosed over 20 years ago, there were very few options for gluten-free food and eating out was a hazard. The availability of GF food was the main reason we started cruising.

Many beverages could have gluten. DH rarely drinks soft drinks or alcohol. We learned the hard way about "glucose syrup." If it is made in Europe, it is often made from wheat. In our case, it was lurking in a dessert from Trader Joe's that would otherwise have been gluten-free...but I guess it could be in some sweetened drinks as well. Potato vodka, rum, wine, should be OK. Princess will stock GF beer if you notify them in advance.

I asked about the coffee flavorings used at the IC...they did not know. Some canned soda should be available; read the label. Be careful outside of the MDR. Even at breakfast in the MDR they confused a sugar-free with a gluten-free muffin and DH missed Barcelona (luckily he saw it on our next cruise). You will have plenty of good things to eat and drink, just double check and be careful.

Wow! thank you all for your answers and interesting discussion re:- coeliac disease opposed to diet fad. Two things - 1 being a coeliac and therefore an enforced gluten free diet, I cannot, for the life of me understand why anyone would choose to put themselves on this diet if they don't need to for health reasons, 2, but yes I totally agree and thank the people who do this because it has given coeliacs more recognition in the food industry than we have ever had and therefore we now have a lot more food and meal choices available to us.

No one seems to know the answer to the original question so I have sent an email to Princess cruises regarding gluten free beverages. I'll keep this forum posted when (if!?) I receive a Reply :)

I don't have Coeliac disease. I am Gluten Intolerant. I can tolerate tiny amounts so cross contamination isn't much of a problem but not knowing what my level of resistance is I maintain a GF diet. For me the side effects of eating gluten are nasty. Very, very nasty. And extremely embarrassing. I've had mixed experiences cruising GF from so so to excellent. My upcoming cruise will be my first with Princess.

I have been on a Few cruises now and in the MDR you don't have to worry, but in horizon crt one of the chefs will come out and assist you if you ask, the one slip up they did that I picked up was a semolina pudding that was labeled gluten free, I pointed out that semolina is made from wheat, it took a while, but they removed it.