Gluten free beverages?

Hilarry1720

Yes sometimes when someone is on the misinformation train, no matter how many stations it stops at, truth, fact, correct (helpful) information they will just not get off :rolleyes: :)

I didn't say Celiac but gluten intolerance is on the rise. My DW wife has developed gluten intolerance not Celiac.

They also include genetic engineering in the

GMO category.

I've done research and so has my DW since her diagnosis.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Kamloops50

Princess does a good job of providing Gluten Free meals. I would be wary of coffee since many celiacs cross react. I know I can't drink it. I bring my own GF tea bags whenever I travel. Some tea bags are sealed with wheat paste, so you need to be careful. Also, some sodas contain caramel color and ingredients in the coloring can contain gluten.

Princess has Gluten free Vodka identified on the menu. It is Chopin. Not my favorite, but acceptable. I usually just stick with rum or tequila which are GF. Some wineries still seal the casks with wheat paste and that contaminates the wine. We bring a couple of bottles of Fat Bastard Shiraz onboard since we know it is GF.

As for it being a fad, there are lots of people who have non celiac gluten sensitivity. They generally have a extra-intestinal symptoms such as rashes, neuropathies, migraines and miscarriages, just to name a few problems caused by gluten. Those diagnosed with celiac have specific antibodies and have damaged intestinal villi proved by a biopsy of the small intestine.

I spent my whole life trying to find out what was wrong with me. My parents took me to the chairman of gastroenterology at the Univ. of Pa. back in the late 1950's to try to explain my vomiting and acute abdominal pain. They ran tests, but all the wrong ones. Instead of worrying about the small intestine, he did a sigmoidoscopy followed by a colonoscopy (not fun for an 8 year old). Diagnosis - nothing wrong even though I vomited after most meals and had acute pains that would wake me up at night.

I saw dermatologists for the horrible rashes. Finally a skin biopsy in 1965. It was determined to be dermatitis herpeteformis. Treatment- cortizone cream.

I saw neurologists for the migraines and got prescriptions for cafergot.

I went to the doctor for severe acid reflux and got a prescription for Pepcid.

Finally, in 2007 I went to the doctor because my fingers were numb. After running a battery of nerve tests, I was sent for genetic testing and bloodwork and another skin biopsy. I carry the celiac genes. My dermatitis herpeteformis is actually a form of celiac disease. My blood work came back very positive for celiac disease. My doctor gave me the option of doing the endoscopy and small intestine biopsy, but said I didn't have to since I already had a positive diagnosis of dermatitis herpeteformis, which means I am a celiac. I was also diagnosed with massive vitamin and mineral deficiencies since I wasn't properly absorbing nutrients. I was immediately put on a gluten free diet and massive doses of vitamins and minerals for the deficiencies. In a very short time I felt better at 54 than I had my entire life. I only wish they got it right in 1958. I might not have miscarried twice and would not have looked at Thanksgiving as a day to dread. Yep, puking after every Thanksgiving dinner was a given. Yes, bread stuffing will do that to a celiac!

I quickly learned that it is very easy to have a full life without gluten. Our doctor, who is a world leader in gluten research, has actually shifted us to a totally grain free diet. I use coconut, tapioca or almond flour and coconut and almond milk when cooking or baking at home. We eat grass fed beef, free range chicken, lamb, fish, vegetables and fruit. It is a very healthy diet.

Because of my diagnosis, my entire family underwent testing. I have one son who is gluten sensitive, but the other is celiac, as are his kids. His wife and my husband were also tested and they too are celiac. My parents were tested and finally diagnosed at 80 and 82. We finally knew why dad had a duodenal ulcer at the age of 10. My 50 year old cousin was not as lucky. She was diagnosed at autopsy in 2003. She died of T Cell lymphoma of the small intestine. The risk of celiacs getting this are markedly increased if they are not treated with a gluten free diet. So, for the poster who asks why she got it - the answer lies in your genes.

Add me to the list of gluten-sensitive/intolerant/allergic.

Several years ago I was tested for a peanut allergy - I know for a fact I react to them with itching and burning around my mouth along with wheezing. But the test was negative. (My allergist still told me to avoid them, which I do - luckily it's just an ingestion thing for me.)

What was positive - and I ignored - was wheat/gluten. Which I questioned like heck because I didn't think I was reacting to it.

Fast forward to the past couple of years. I've got "reactive airway" which basically means asthma, but it only flares if I have a cold or am stuffed up with seasonal allergies. I'm on symbicort for it, and that's pretty much eliminated obvious wheezing. BUT my air flow has always been a lot lower than my general doc felt it should be, and we could never figure out why. (I honestly didn't know it was an issue...probably because I've lived with it my whole life, or at least for a long time.)

At my last visit, I asked her - and I freely admit it - what she thought about the cutting gluten to cut belly fat, and she looked at me with really big eyes and I could practically see the light bulb above her head flashing. "Have you been tested for a wheat/gluten allergy?" I said "Well, technically... The test said yes, but I didn't think I was reacting so I thought it was a false positive." She shook her head and said "The air flow thing... I think we just solved it."

She put me on a gluten-free diet, and clearly that was the air flow issue. Even my TaeKwonDo instructors commented within a couple of months how my cardio endurance was exponentially better than it had been - moreso than just "you've been working out and improving". And I have not had to use my rescue inhaler once since going GF in June. Clearly I WAS reacting - it was just a lot further down in my lungs than obvious reactions are.

So while I admit I asked the question about cutting it because of the "fad", it ended up answering a mystery we had been trying to solve for a couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I dont know where you are getting your information from but this is just false. And again. There is no genetically modified wheat grown commercially anywhere. Breeding techniques used to create new varieties of wheat are not genetic modification. Please stop posting incorrect information.

That is absolutely correct. HOWEVER what happens to the wheat after it gets to the mill is another thing..... Wheat flour is dramatically modified either through government regulation requiring it to be "enriched" or by bleaching using benzoyl peroxide or Calcium peroxide to help with developing of gluten. Fresh milled flour is actually yellow not white................ Those developments could be having an effect.

Speaking of gluten free beer, they are often not unless crafted with gluten free grains (I use rice corn syrup and molasses) Commercial breweries use a product called WLN4000 Clarity Ferm/Brewers Clarex to reduce chill haze (Bud Light is the worst and contains corn as well). In Canada they can use it to reduce the gluten to less than 20 ppm and call it gluten free. (the same threshold exists in the US for different products) It SAYS its gluten free but for the true Celiac, its not certain peptides remain in a Gluten Free Product that can cause a reaction.............. My Celiac MIL has had more than one "embarrasing accident" after consumeing commercial Gluten free products.

As others have noted coffee creamers/flavorings are almost all wheat based especially machine lattes..................

Edited by TNTLAMB

We find the OP's question a bit strange. Most folks with severe gluten allergies are very aware of what they can and can not eat/drink without having a reaction. Why somebody going on a cruise would have a question about beverages is a bit weird. Gluten free alcohol products as well as gluten free soft drinks are well known (by those who deal with Gluten issues on a daily basis) and easy to discover on the internet. As to coffee products, our friend who has an awful gluten allergy would tell anyone to avoid any coffee that is not freshly brewed (within sight) and do not trust any coffee additives unless you can personally examine the label of the additive. For example, many so-called "coffee creamers" do contain wheat or barley malt which can quickly cause a nasty reaction in one who is truly gluten tolerant. As to those on gluten free diets for the heck of it...who cares :).

Hank

Princess does a good job of providing Gluten Free meals. I would be wary of coffee since many celiacs cross react. I know I can't drink it. I bring my own GF tea bags whenever I travel. Some tea bags are sealed with wheat paste, so you need to be careful. Also, some sodas contain caramel color and ingredients in the coloring can contain gluten.

Princess has Gluten free Vodka identified on the menu. It is Chopin. Not my favorite, but acceptable. I usually just stick with rum or tequila which are GF. Some wineries still seal the casks with wheat paste and that contaminates the wine. We bring a couple of bottles of Fat Bastard Shiraz onboard since we know it is GF.

As for it being a fad, there are lots of people who have non celiac gluten sensitivity. They generally have a extra-intestinal symptoms such as rashes, neuropathies, migraines and miscarriages, just to name a few problems caused by gluten. Those diagnosed with celiac have specific antibodies and have damaged intestinal villi proved by a biopsy of the small intestine.

I spent my whole life trying to find out what was wrong with me. My parents took me to the chairman of gastroenterology at the Univ. of Pa. back in the late 1950's to try to explain my vomiting and acute abdominal pain. They ran tests, but all the wrong ones. Instead of worrying about the small intestine, he did a sigmoidoscopy followed by a colonoscopy (not fun for an 8 year old). Diagnosis - nothing wrong even though I vomited after most meals and had acute pains that would wake me up at night.

I saw dermatologists for the horrible rashes. Finally a skin biopsy in 1965. It was determined to be dermatitis herpeteformis. Treatment- cortizone cream.

I saw neurologists for the migraines and got prescriptions for cafergot.

I went to the doctor for severe acid reflux and got a prescription for Pepcid.

Finally, in 2007 I went to the doctor because my fingers were numb. After running a battery of nerve tests, I was sent for genetic testing and bloodwork and another skin biopsy. I carry the celiac genes. My dermatitis herpeteformis is actually a form of celiac disease. My blood work came back very positive for celiac disease. My doctor gave me the option of doing the endoscopy and small intestine biopsy, but said I didn't have to since I already had a positive diagnosis of dermatitis herpeteformis, which means I am a celiac. I was also diagnosed with massive vitamin and mineral deficiencies since I wasn't properly absorbing nutrients. I was immediately put on a gluten free diet and massive doses of vitamins and minerals for the deficiencies. In a very short time I felt better at 54 than I had my entire life. I only wish they got it right in 1958. I might not have miscarried twice and would not have looked at Thanksgiving as a day to dread. Yep, puking after every Thanksgiving dinner was a given. Yes, bread stuffing will do that to a celiac!

I quickly learned that it is very easy to have a full life without gluten. Our doctor, who is a world leader in gluten research, has actually shifted us to a totally grain free diet. I use coconut, tapioca or almond flour and coconut and almond milk when cooking or baking at home. We eat grass fed beef, free range chicken, lamb, fish, vegetables and fruit. It is a very healthy diet.

Because of my diagnosis, my entire family underwent testing. I have one son who is gluten sensitive, but the other is celiac, as are his kids. His wife and my husband were also tested and they too are celiac. My parents were tested and finally diagnosed at 80 and 82. We finally knew why dad had a duodenal ulcer at the age of 10. My 50 year old cousin was not as lucky. She was diagnosed at autopsy in 2003. She died of T Cell lymphoma of the small intestine. The risk of celiacs getting this are markedly increased if they are not treated with a gluten free diet. So, for the poster who asks why she got it - the answer lies in your genes.

Thank you for writing this informative post. We have 2 celiacs in our extended family. Also a friend who was finally diagnosed correctly at 29 after several years of thinking it was something else, finally a doctor choose the correct test.

I am so happy that you are enjoying life, with not as many health issues.

L:)ri

We find the OP's question a bit strange. Most folks with severe gluten allergies are very aware of what they can and can not eat/drink without having a reaction. Why somebody going on a cruise would have a question about beverages is a bit weird. Gluten free alcohol products as well as gluten free soft drinks are well known (by those who deal with Gluten issues on a daily basis) and easy to discover on the internet. As to coffee products, our friend who has an awful gluten allergy would tell anyone to avoid any coffee that is not freshly brewed (within sight) and do not trust any coffee additives unless you can personally examine the label of the additive. For example, many so-called "coffee creamers" do contain wheat or barley malt which can quickly cause a nasty reaction in one who is truly gluten tolerant. As to those on gluten free diets for the heck of it...who cares :).

Hank

I do know what I can and cannot eat when I'm home or in my hometown, in Australia. we do have gluten free beer ( approved by the coeliac society) and I have found some flavoured coffees that are gluten free, so that is why I was asking if anyone had found out mainly about the coffee, (alcohol and cold drinks I pretty much know) on board.I have asked princess cruises if they could send me the ingredient list for their coffees so I can see for myself, as most non coeliacs don't really know what to look at.

I do know what I can and cannot eat when I'm home or in my hometown, in Australia. we do have gluten free beer ( approved by the coeliac society) and I have found some flavoured coffees that are gluten free, so that is why I was asking if anyone had found out mainly about the coffee, (alcohol and cold drinks I pretty much know) on board.I have asked princess cruises if they could send me the ingredient list for their coffees so I can see for myself, as most non coeliacs don't really know what to look at.

Coffee should be fine, but we would avoid getting any additives (like a creamer) unless we personally saw what was being used. A very good friend with Celiac follows a basic rule of never using a coffee additive unless she is familiar with the product used....of is permitted to read the label.

As to cold drinks, she will generally avoid cruise ship ice tea...but rather makes her own ice tea (using a tea bag). Cruise lines use various Most soft drinks (coke or pepsi products are safe...although you might want to check their web sites (before leaving home) and review their information.

Regarding ice teas (cruise lines use concentrates or powders to make their ice tea) here is a link to some good info:

https://www.verywell.com/is-tea-gluten-free-562355

Hope this helps.

Hank