esm54687

Well, I'm sorry, people should take all these

things into account when going on a cruise

or anywhere else, anything can happen, should

always come in as early as possible, or at least

the day before.

Marion

Especially during the height of hurricane season :cool:

A lot of people jumping to NCL's defense, but as far as I can see, no one has criticized NCL in this thread - just a few folks stating that some passengers may not make the cruise.:confused:

Hard to criticize NCL for changing their schedule due to a hurricane. That said, if people miss the cruise because of this NCL better darn well refund the cruise fare or there will be a lot of criticism. So far I haven't seen anything to suggest they wouldn't do this.

I don't have the stomach to fly in the day of the cruise. We usually fly two days before just to be safe. This next cruise we are flying into Boston from California in late October the day before. I would have preferred a day earlier but we are already going to be gone so long that I didn't want to add an extra day. My point though is that I am still a little nervous about it only being the day before. I am booked on an airline that has multiple flights heading to Boston so that's a comfort to know I can hopefully get on another flight if something were to happen.

Those are just some of the pre-planning things I do so I can enjoy my vacation. Well that and insurance. ;)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hard to criticize NCL for changing their schedule due to a hurricane. That said, if people miss the cruise because of this NCL better darn well refund the cruise fare or there will be a lot of criticism. So far I haven't seen anything to suggest they wouldn't do this.

Why should NCL refund the cruise fare one cent? The ship is not only sailing but it's going to the intended destination and its leaving only 2.5 hrs early. If you are traveling in and were leaving it to chance by first arriving at the pier at 1:30, 2.5 hrs before the original sail 4pm time, shame on you.

What if there was a thunderstorm at your departure point and the flight was delayed? What if there was an equipment problem with the plane causing a delay? Is that NCLs issue too?

Edited by nyfltraveler

I will infer from your comment that you always or usually fly in on embarkation day. It looks like you rolled the dice and won the two January cruises you took out of Florida flying in from NY. The next time you may not be as lucky. During wintertime because of snow or during hurricane season, it's always recommended to fly in the day before because of unforeseen weather conditions. Otherwise, you better have travel insurance.

I wasn't referring to myself. I always make sure I'm on time. I'm just saying you can't expect 4000 people to change their plans on a days notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why should NCL refund the cruise fare one cent? The ship is not only sailing but it's going to the intended destination and its leaving only 2.5 hrs early. If you are traveling in and were leaving it to chance by first arriving at the pier at 1:30, 2.5 hrs before the original sail 4pm time, shame on you.

What if there was a thunderstorm at your departure point and the flight was delayed? What if there was an equipment problem with the plane causing a delay? Is that NCLs issue too?

Your latter two examples are much different because they are outside of NCL's control. NCL leaving the port early is within their control. They are doing it for a good reason and I have no problem with them doing it, nor do I have a problem with them doing it on short notice, but of course they have to refund the money of someone who misses the boat because of it.

The Captian just informed the breakaway that If the storm would have intensified we would have left already, they are now waiting for a small group that they couldn't get in touch with. He feels the storm will not effect the ship at all. He is going to Give them a couple of extra min. I hope they make it, cause the beer is cold and have yet to run into an employee who isn't smiling!!!!!

The Captian just informed the breakaway that If the storm would have intensified we would have left already' date=' they are now waiting for a small group that they couldn't get in touch with. He feels the storm will not effect the ship at all. He is going to Give them a couple of extra min. I hope they make it, cause the beer is cold and have yet to run into an employee who isn't smiling!!!!![/quote']

Hope you have a great cruise! Thanks for the info.

Such poor communication! My friend is on this sailing and fortunately I checked the NCL website yesterday and advised her of the change in time. This is only her second cruise. Fortunately, she resides in NY and arranged to leave for the pier early. Her scheduled pier arrival time to check in was 12:30. While she was at the pier early, she received a call from NCL at 10:00 this morning! I feel sorry for people who may have missed the ship or had an aggravating trip to the pier! NCL should have sent out robo calls yesterday when they decided to leave early. Not good customer service.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Why should they? its not like they are canceling the cruise, and if people fly

in on the day of the cruise, well ........that's on them!

Such poor communication! My friend is on this sailing and fortunately I checked the NCL website yesterday and advised her of the change in time. This is only her second cruise. Fortunately, she resides in NY and arranged to leave for the pier early. Her scheduled pier arrival time to check in was 12:30. While she was at the pier early, she received a call from NCL at 10:00 this morning! I feel sorry for people who may have missed the ship or had an aggravating trip to the pier! NCL should have sent out robo calls yesterday when they decided to leave early. Not good customer service.

Good that your friend has you to check for her,but didn't she know there

was a storm out there? its only been on the News for a week.

Like checking with your Airline to see if there are any changes, the responsibility is also with the traveler.

The Captain just informed the breakaway that If the storm would have intensified we would have left already' date=' they are now waiting for a small group that they couldn't get in touch with. He feels the storm will not effect the ship at all. He is going to Give them a couple of extra min. I hope they make it ...[/quote']

Excellent, Hermine apparently changed course eastward overnight and spinning further out in the Atlantic - much to the relief of most - except for some businesses & vendors down here along the Jersey shoreline ... out driving this morning and the Garden State Parkway was ultra light in traffic as beaches are closed and many opted for alternate plans, sun is out & blue skies, a little windy & high tide is 10 PM tonight here, roadways in flood-prone area not flooded, yet.

BA is sailing down the Hudson - a beautiful September afternoon, might need a windbreaker on the decks and hold on to those hats. One of her sister ship, the Dawn has docked already in Bermuda several hours ago, cloudy but the wind isn't so bad for the islands.

My guess is that BA will plot a course heading to sail south closer to the coast to keep a distance (wind extending 200 miles out from the center of the storm) for least rocky ride, before turning east for the islands. With counter-clockwise wind gusting to 30 mph, should be good for the BA. Marine police are keeping small boats and stopping pleasure crafts from going out into the ocean here - they are still expecting the storm to spin around & affect the shores tomorrow, the State of Emergency hasn't been lifted yet - highway's warning signs are still blinking reminders to "exercise caution".

The point is not to criticize the decision of course passenger safety is the most important in making any decision, just the lack of responsibly communicating the message to the passengers. Personally, when we cruise out of Fl or any other then NY port, we always fly in a day or two before- not everyone can either afford to fly in advance- for whatever reason and that is their decision.

I do not think that the way that this was communicated to the passengers was the best that they could do. Poor communication is my comment.

I live 30 minutes north of NYC and love taking January cruises

While we have had close to balmy weather on our Jan 2016 cruise and only slightly colder on out jan 2015 cruise

I still have plan b at the ready

Any threat of snow then off to NYC via metro north the day before and hotel for the night. Cozy cozy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

BA turned south quick & sailing very close to NJ shore, maybe 10 nm from land @ easy pace. From ship's live cam, pretty calm - smoothest path away from Hermine.

46aa461ea833af2a4fab38a9f00d3f2d.jpg

2de4e8f53dbb0a27193b857b73e193ed.jpg

b620d75fc73f38aac33f199a115defcf.jpg

Hopefully, the Captain's decision & choice to hold off delayed departure time enabled the group to catch up & board the BA.

My thoughts - some of us are more tech savvy and carry mobile devices, constantly geting updated emails & messages - it is, however, not an universal expectations nor requirements to travel or cruise. The smart traveler that cruise often "should" know better - but, we can debate this forever and never come to agreement as to "what to expect and must do" ... And, traveling ahead by one day is a great deal - unless it's major storm, then what if you are "advised" to arrive at least 2 days before sailing, or 3 days just in case. Perhaps, they are "self-insured" and don't need travel insurance sold by NCL, ha ha.

Back on topic - wishing all those onboard the Breakaway a safe & smoothest sailing en route to Bermuda. We will keep watching the ship on live webcam.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Edited by mking8288

BA turned south quick & sailing very close to NJ shore, maybe 10 nm from land @ easy pace. From ship's live cam, pretty calm - smoothest path away from Hermine.

46aa461ea833af2a4fab38a9f00d3f2d.jpg

2de4e8f53dbb0a27193b857b73e193ed.jpg

b620d75fc73f38aac33f199a115defcf.jpg

Hopefully, the Captain's decision & choice to hold off delayed departure time enabled the group to catch up & board the BA.

My thoughts - some of us are more tech savvy and carry mobile devices, constantly geting updated emails & messages - it is, however, not an universal expectations nor requirements to travel or cruise. The smart traveler that cruise often "should" know better - but, we can debate this forever and never come to agreement as to "what to expect and must do" ... And, traveling ahead by one day is a great deal - unless it's major storm, then what if you are "advised" to arrive at least 2 days before sailing, or 3 days just in case. Perhaps, they are "self-insured" and don't need travel insurance sold by NCL, ha ha.

Back on topic - wishing all those onboard the Breakaway a safe & smoothest sailing en route to Bermuda. We will keep watching the ship on live webcam.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Love all your updates of the Breakaway sailing to Bermuda. Any idea if the Gem left NY yesterday? Haven't heard anything about the Gem.