Caribbean in August

Jarvijt

We are thinking of booking Divination 14 nights Caribbean in August '17.

Not an ideal time of year but unfortunately this is a major drawback of working in education.

Has anyone on here cruised the Caribbean in August and what were your experiences regarding the weather?

Thanks in anticipation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've done the Bahamas in the first week of September, no not quite your timeframe but close. While it was quite hot, we all had a blast. The one thing that was bothersome was the very hot pool decks and lounge chair cushions. (Obviously, not all areas have cushions) I had to lay a towel on the chairs first to lay down and always wear flip flops around the pool. Also, we had to wear tons of sunscreen, and even then, my daughter got a hell of a burn on her nose! [emoji20]

But overall, it was a great vacation and I wouldn't hesitate to book a summer cruise again!

As far as hurricane season, that technically runs June 1 through November 30th, and the Captain always keeps a close eye on the weather. If something comes up, they may change the itinerary, but it's best to be safe!

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not an ideal time of year but unfortunately this is a major drawback of working in education.

Has anyone on here cruised the Caribbean in August and what were your experiences regarding the weather?

Thanks in anticipation.

You can try it but keep in mind that your destination may be Canada instead of Caribbean:p or your cruise will be cancelled . I got my cruise cancelled because of hurricane I am not booking July- October any more. You may be lucky or may be not. :o

Thanks in anticipation.

Hot humid and thunderstorms are hit and miss and watch out for the hurricanes.

We cruised on the Escape from 8/6-8/14 this year and the weather couldn't have been any better. Barely any rain and smooth seas the entire trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Divina on 08/13-08/20 this year. We knew when we booked the cruise in June that we could be facing a change of itinerary, but the price was so good, we figured what the heck!

We threaded the needle - had great weather, calm seas and hardly any rain. So we lucked out.

It's really a roll of the dice and you have to be flexible enough to handle a change of itinerary or potentially raining and cloudy weather.

I cruise the Caribbean often. July/Aug/Sept/Oct have a high chance of hurricane. If so, your captain will sail AROUND it instead of through it. So you will get sunshine instead of rain! If you do get rained on, it will be warm rain, so no big deal.

The Caribbean is usually rougher water than other water-bodies, at all times of the year. If you experience more waves, it's because of the location, not because it's a bad time of year.

I have no qualms about booking in the summer. You will have a good time no matter what weather you get. None of us can outsmart the weather. It's always a gamble. Most of my cruises have been during the winter months, yet they still sometimes have less-than-perfect weather.

The one thing I can guarantee you is that you won't get cold in August in the Caribbean :)

If I were you, I would book the August cruise and be excited about it! Don't worry about bad weather. You'll be with 3,000-4,000 other passengers, and you'll all have fun.

Thank you styxfire. Think I'll go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

We are in the same position as you with my Wife being a Teacher. We've booked the Divina for the 15-29 July and will hope for the best weather wise.

We booked through a UK TA who were offering a package including 2 nights pre-cruise in a South Beach Hotel and flights with BA. Haven't been on the Divina, however have been on the sister ship the Preziosa.

It's a blow that the drinks packages are far more expensive when in Dollars compared to the Med Itineraries when the onboard currency is the Euro.

We have taken 6 of our cruises in August and have had great weather each time, we had good luck. We are residents of Florida and I'm not going to lie to you, it's a crap shoot as it is the height of Hurricane season and the cruise could be cancelled, not a big deal for us as we drive to the ports. If you have to fly, it could be a hassle. The good news is prices are pretty low in late August and most of September. We sailed on the Divina on August 27 and only paid 399 dollars each for an inside cabin.

Edited by MISTER 67