First time Platinum...Benefits questions

SeekTheSun

Do you know the difference between champagne and sparkling wine?

Champagne is sparking wine.

Why yes I do know the difference. As others have pointed out, the sparkling wine that you get as a Platinum does sparkle and is wine but otherwise is relatively undrinkable IMHO, hence my suggestion to use if for mimosas.

I will say that when we were on Sun last year, they had a clearance sale and we purchased a delicious bottle of Schramsburg Brut Rose (American sparkling and our "wedding wine" and for the price as good as most any champagnes) for about half of what we could buy a bottle for on land. I think it was $20. IF we hadn't of been flying, I would have bought the whole case they were off-loading.:mad:

Tell the cruise next people that is what you are going to do when you sign up, and they will usually let you.

Thank you.

I'll be sailing in the Haven. Is this something we book only onboard?

If so, I'll ask them to sign my dh and me up. He will turn platinum on that cruise so maybe

they will let him go with me. I'll ask the concierge. Thanks.

I'm glad I found this post! Last week I wrote a blog post about my first time having platinum status on NCL. It might be of some interest to you http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/09/23/ncls-platinum-lattitudes-status/ :)

A lot of the perks are rubbish but its still something for nothing! Can't complain. I particularly like jumping the queues and that free bag of laundry is a life saver if you're doing a long cruise!!

Just finished my first platinum cruise on Saturday. You had to sign up for the Platinum Behind the Scenes tour by 7 pm on embarkation day for the tour, which was 10 or 10:30 am the next day. NOTE: it will almost always conflict with the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet. Since I planned the M&G, I couldn't go. I'll be missing the M&G on the Spirit to take my BTS tour.

As for the sparkling wine, we took it with us off the ship--we had one last day in Venice before flying home, so we drank it on disembarkation night in our room in Venice.

As for the Le Bistro reservations, I didn't book it beforehand, but I did book it within two hours after embarkation for 7:45 the two sea days. Tried for 7:30, but that was booked, but 7:45 was available. Used the certificates one for Le Bistro and one for La Cucina. Now that I've had La Cucina, I would suggest to you to book two nights in Le Bistro.

--Michael

Edited by numberguy

I think I understand the strawberries and wine, lol. Thanks for any help on these.

About the strawberries... eat them right away. We made the mistake of saving them this last trip to enjoy later that evening, and sadly the chocolate separated from the berries and was all mealy. It's very tasty chilled, but not so great at room temp.

So go right at them -- a nice way to start the trip!

Just finished my first platinum cruise on Saturday. You had to sign up for the Platinum Behind the Scenes tour by 7 pm on embarkation day for the tour, which was 10 or 10:30 am the next day. NOTE: it will almost always conflict with the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet. Since I planned the M&G, I couldn't go. I'll be missing the M&G on the Spirit to take my BTS tour.

As for the sparkling wine, we took it with us off the ship--we had one last day in Venice before flying home, so we drank it on disembarkation night in our room in Venice.

As for the Le Bistro reservations, I didn't book it beforehand, but I did book it within two hours after embarkation for 7:45 the two sea days. Tried for 7:30, but that was booked, but 7:45 was available. Used the certificates one for Le Bistro and one for La Cucina. Now that I've had La Cucina, I would suggest to you to book two nights in Le Bistro.

--Michael

I am in the same position as you Michael. I am planning the M & G and just obtained Platinum. Our first sea day of the 21 day cruise is day 5 so I imagine that will be the day of the Behind the Scenes Tour. Not sure if the BTS is always on the first sea day?

The next day (day 6) is also a sea day. Perhaps I should schedule the M & G on day 6 so any Platinum members can do both (including me). How long does the BTS last? Perhaps we can attend both on the same day? Our M & G will be at 11:00 a.m. What do you think?

Wendy

Why yes I do know the difference. As others have pointed out, the sparkling wine that you get as a Platinum does sparkle and is wine but otherwise is relatively undrinkable IMHO, hence my suggestion to use if for mimosas.

I will say that when we were on Sun last year, they had a clearance sale and we purchased a delicious bottle of Schramsburg Brut Rose (American sparkling and our "wedding wine" and for the price as good as most any champagnes) for about half of what we could buy a bottle for on land. I think it was $20. IF we hadn't of been flying, I would have bought the whole case they were off-loading.:mad:

Oh I hope that they have that kind of clearance sale on my next cruise! Love Schramsburg Rose!

If you are in a suite and platinum, do you get 2 bottles of champs? (I call all sparkling wine champs if it is not real champagne). My friend and I will both be platinum and in a suite next cruise. I get it we won't both get a bottle for platinum, but I would think we would get a bottle for the suite and one for platinum. Anyone know?

If you are in a suite and platinum, do you get 2 bottles of champs? (I call all sparkling wine champs if it is not real champagne). My friend and I will both be platinum and in a suite next cruise. I get it we won't both get a bottle for platinum, but I would think we would get a bottle for the suite and one for platinum. Anyone know?

Yes. You get one for the suite and one for platinum.

I am in the same position as you Michael. I am planning the M & G and just obtained Platinum. Our first sea day of the 21 day cruise is day 5 so I imagine that will be the day of the Behind the Scenes Tour. Not sure if the BTS is always on the first sea day?

The next day (day 6) is also a sea day. Perhaps I should schedule the M & G on day 6 so any Platinum members can do both (including me). How long does the BTS last? Perhaps we can attend both on the same day? Our M & G will be at 11:00 a.m. What do you think?

Wendy

The platinum tours are usually the first sea day around 10:00 am and last about 90 min. They try to get done with the free tour done by cruise next before starting the paid tours done by shore ex.

Wendy

Wendy,

You don't get to choose the date/time/location of the M&G; it is chosen for you. I've tried changing it, but no go. Maybe you'll have better luck than I.

--Michael

Thank you.

I'll be sailing in the Haven. Is this something we book only onboard?

If so, I'll ask them to sign my dh and me up. He will turn platinum on that cruise so maybe

they will let him go with me. I'll ask the concierge. Thanks.

For the BTS tour, yes you have to sign up on board. Terms are only for you but others advise giving it a shot. Also, on NCL your DH doesn't turn Platinum until after the cruise is how they award the tier.

As others have said, look for the cert asap in your room and watch the sign-up deadline. They do typically schedule the meet and greet same time as BTS or at least overlap. We've had some meet and greet coordinators get them at different times.

Oh I hope that they have that kind of clearance sale on my next cruise! Love Schramsburg Rose!

I wouldn't hold my breath, I think part of the reason for the sale was to provide onboard entertainment during a sea day. We were on a 19 day cruise from Tampa to Vancouver so one day there was bascially a yard sale. They turned the MDR into the sales floor and all the departments set up tables. Last year's tshirts, old pens, etc.