When is spring break

PoppyandNana

First of all I fully realize that spring break week varies throughout the country. However, a good majority of the elementary schools break around the same times.

We have been looking at the 15 day Panama Canal itinerary for a long time. The April 2nd sailing is $1,944 for an O.V. The April 17th sailing is $3,194. That's $2,500 more for two people.

In talking with some local teachers they tell me spring break is April 17.

Does this make any sense? I would think that 4/17 would be cheaper not the most expensive.

Edited by PoppyandNana

Personally, I doubt 15 day cruises would attract families w/kids on Spring Break. 7 day cruises, yes, but not 15 days. I doubt the price differential between April 2 and April 17 has to do with demand brought on by higher than usual family-type travel but some other reason.

Just my opinion.....

While your Jersey spring break may well be April 17th many other parts of the country have breaks during March too.

We did a canal cruise in March - April and had five children on the Infinity. I think two were officers children.

Any cruise longer than a week during a normal U S school year will not have hordes of kids running through the Lido or doing cannonballs into the pools.

Book and enjoy!!!!!!!

The reason is that Easter is very late in 2017, believe it is April 16. Cruises after the Easter break will be cheaper until schools let out in June.

Since you are primarily concerned with that April 17 cruise , it is because anything directly before and after Easter is a Holiday cruise. Has nothing to do with weather since the cruises after that when the weather gets warmer are cheaper. Holiday cruise is the only explanation.

That is alot of $$$ for a couple week difference. Wouldn't even think twice about which one we would book.

Agree with Don that it is holiday related not weather. It is the Panama Canal...weather doesn't vary virtually at all in that time frame (and in fact, in many, many months time frame).

Supply and demand is usually the answer. I checked a favorite website and per that source, the April 17th cruise has sold out faster than the April 2nd sailing. Less space would drive the prices higher. Per that website on April 2nd OV categories 5,6,7,8 are available. On April 17th only categories 7.8 are available.

April is the hottest month in the Canal averaging 83 degrees. October is the coldest month averaging 79 degrees.

I did a little research and Spring Break in Puerto Rico is April 10-14th. But, for some reason, our April 15th cruise is much higher in price. I can't figure it out, but I hope you can. ;)

Because most cruisers on the cruise will not be from Puerto Rico

Check out the public and private and parochial school breaks in the tri state area if you want to know why the rates are higher

Easter is April 16 I believe and plenty of schools have the week after off

This isn't a college break type cruise it's a high school and lower break cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums