Better new Chase Credit Card

CaveDiving

It's a really good card, but it isn't chip and PIN. If you travel overseas, especially Europe, you're going to be increasingly challenged to use just a chip and signature card. The problem comes when you're faced with a machine, rather than a human, such as an automated ticket kiosk or toll booth. There's even some hotels that have automated check-in, like the CitizenM hotels. There's a few available, I have a Barclaycard Arrival+ Elite. You may wish to look into a chip and PIN card in addition to the Chase card.

I looked it over on their website and looks like it is even better than you have mentioned. They give an example of four family members missing a $6K each trip for a covered reason with the trip purchased with a single card. They would be reimbursed $20K; $6K each, but the limit is $20K total per trip. Also, the cost appears to be $450. per year, not $475. Medical evacuation includes air ambulance costs up to $100K. They also reimburse up to $300 per year in travel costs: not sure what that is, but looks like baggage fees, etc. I have never checked my FICO score, but assume if we can pay for our cruises on our credit card without ever paying credit card charges that it must be sufficient.

Could you possibility indicate which of the Chase websites it is that had this example. Thanks a lot.

Scott & Karen

1:1 to United, Avios (AA, BA), Southwest, Amtrak, Hyatt, Hilton, etc.

AA, however, is not a partner airline with Chase Sapphire Reserve. BA is, so perhaps you can fly AA metal if booked through BA?

The only advantage to us that I can see is the various airline partners, ie. United, Air France, SWA Korean airlines, Singapore, Virgin Atlantic, although you do have to become members of the clubs for those airlines. We don't travel enough to justify the annual expenditure. When we do, it is business class, so we get to use the AA's airport clubs. And all of our cards have the no-foreign transaction fee; and we are already members of the Global Alert. But it is something to keep in mind when we book our next cruise or other travel. For the time being, we will stick with our Aadvantage Citicard, which takes us anywhere we want to go (albeit via two or three different flights!)

Hi Goldenrod,

Could anyone please tell me how he would calculate his FAIR SHARE of what someone else has worked for and earned?

When half the people realize that there is no need to work because even if they do not work, the government will supply everything they need. And when the other half of the people realize there is no reason to put in any “extra effort” in their chosen careers because any extra reward they might earn will be confiscated by the government, this is the start of the demise of our form of government. These are also two of the general characteristics of Communism.

Scott & Karen

Why is this part of your post? It sounds like politics, and this is not the proper forum.

Annual fee.

Also keep in mind that if you've opened a certain number of Chase accounts in the last two years you will be automatically declined.

Or if you have too many Chase sponsored cards (such as the United Airlines and Marriott cards.

Having been involved with the credit business I suspect that Chase's scoring process for new applications includes a review of existing credit lines which means one can have a high FICO and credit history with Chase, but has too much available credit availability with too many Chase cards already.

Also, there is no doubt that Chase expects to be making money on this card which means they are counting on the $475 being paid year after year with inertia causing automatic annual renewals.

All that being said, if you are able to qualify for the card and are very vigilant about the terms of the deal...and are willing to close the account in the future if you cannot use the benefits. this deal seems to be terrific.

I found this review of premium travel credit cards.....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-08/best-credit-cards-for-travelers-chase-citi-american-express

One interesting note for all three cards compared - "Travel spending credits are like free money: They help offset an annual fee but come with specific usage rules. For all three cards, the credits must be used within the calendar year and can’t be rolled over."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-08/best-credit-cards-for-travelers-chase-citi-american-express

One interesting note for all three cards compared - "Travel spending credits are like free money: They help offset an annual fee but come with specific usage rules. For all three cards, the credits must be used within the calendar year and can’t be rolled over."

If you cannot use travel credits within a year, then clearly this wouldn't be the card for you. I used them all the first day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Could you possibility indicate which of the Chase websites it is that had this example. Thanks a lot.

Scott & Karen

If you all the number on the back of your card they will have whatever benefits explained in full! Such as the 10k per person cancellation feature.

This is NOT regarding the 100,000 bonus points or the points earned on spending. It is referring to the $300 credit reimbursed each calendar year on travel spending. If you fail to make at least $300 in travel credits in a year, you can not get that year's credit after 12/31.

For the first year, it will actually be $300 in 2016 so earned in a short number of months. Then it starts over in January.

This is NOT regarding the 100,000 bonus points or the points earned on spending. It is referring to the $300 credit reimbursed each calendar year on travel spending. If you fail to make at least $300 in travel credits in a year, you can not get that year's credit after 12/31.

For the first year, it will actually be $300 in 2016 so earned in a short number of months. Then it starts over in January.

Thanks for clarifying that. It makes the cards much more attractive.

Why is this part of your post? It sounds like politics, and this is not the proper forum.

Ditto! Looks like it's part of a signature line and needs to be removed, IMO. Ugh.

This is definitely part of their signature & should never be on any post unless the quoting party does not have signatures turned off.. I too consider it offensive but I have signatures turned off in CC so it would never be seen by me unless I looked at their signature....

I'm not sure that the Hosts of CC can remove it..

I agree it should never be in a post, but if you are offended by it suggest you send an e-mail to CC Management & Host Walt..They may not be able to remove it though but may give you an explanation why it can or cannot be removed..

BTW CC rules state something like this should never be in a post, but nothing that I can see in the rules says it can't be in a posters signature..

Edited by serendipity1499

Scott & Karen

If you Google Chase Sapphire Reserve you will get a few sites describing this credit card. One has the heading "Travel Benefits-Chase". It lists all the benefits and further describes each benefit in detail if you click on it. Sorry I am not clever enough to provide it as a link you can click on.

Actually the documentation I received with my Priority Pass card say guests traveling with me are free.

Okay, I will go back and read through that. But when I was considering the card it said it came with a benefit called "Priority Pass Select." Prior to getting the card I could not find anything that stated what benefits came with priority pass select.

I had priority pass in the past before I settled on a single airline and their club - American Airlines (I traveled a ton on business), and I did have to pay to bring a guest in with me. Awesome if this card does not require that extra payment. It's the only reason I paid the $75 extra to add my spouse with her own card.

Okay, I will go back and read through that. But when I was considering the card it said it came with a benefit called "Priority Pass Select." Prior to getting the card I could not find anything that stated what benefits came with priority pass select.

I had priority pass in the past before I settled on a single airline and their club - American Airlines (I traveled a ton on business), and I did have to pay to bring a guest in with me. Awesome if this card does not require that extra payment. It's the only reason I paid the $75 extra to add my spouse with her own card.

I don't know how to post a photo on here but the language with the card states: "You and your accompanying guests may visit participating lounges at no charge compliments of Chase Sapphire Reserve as often as you wish during your membership year."

I am writing this posting to share about what I consider to be the best credit card offer I have heard. The card is the brand new Chase Sapphire Reserve:)

Scott & Karen

Thank you for the heads-up.

Took approximately five minutes for Chase to fill out forms - Instant approval on the spot. Actual Reserve Card to be sent in one or two days.

Or if you have too many Chase sponsored cards (such as the United Airlines and Marriott cards.

Having been involved with the credit business I suspect that Chase's scoring process for new applications includes a review of existing credit lines which means one can have a high FICO and credit history with Chase, but has too much available credit availability with too many Chase cards already.

Also, there is no doubt that Chase expects to be making money on this card which means they are counting on the $475 being paid year after year with inertia causing automatic annual renewals.

All that being said, if you are able to qualify for the card and are very vigilant about the terms of the deal...and are willing to close the account in the future if you cannot use the benefits. this deal seems to be terrific.

Thank you Walt.

This is exactly how I viewed the card, and why I wanted to share it with others on the board.

We are thinking about getting the Chase Card and giving up our AMEX Platinum Card (no need to have both). However, in defense of AMEX, they now routinely have special "Offers" which really can enhance benefits. For example, last month we saved $80 on a single hotel booking because of a special offer. And now, AMEX is offering $100 for booking a cruise on several cruise lines.

It will be interesting to see if AMEX decides to increase their benefits to compete. For example, the Priority Pass benefit (with AMEX Platinum) does require the card holder to pay for additional guests (this usually costs about $29). And their Delta Sky Club benefit which used to allow guests for free...now require me to pay for guests. But after reading about the Chase Sapphire Reserve we are sure thinking about having a conversation with AMEX.

I have the card for 1 month and got the $300 travel credit and 100.000 points, but nowhere did I read about $1000 cash rebate. Where did you learn that that was a bonus feature of this card? Thanks

I think they are referring to the fact that the 100,000 points can be cashed in for $1000. So, you do not get both.

Edited by DaveOKC

I have the card for 1 month and got the $300 travel credit and 100.000 points, but nowhere did I read about $1000 cash rebate. Where did you learn that that was a bonus feature of this card? Thanks

I'm hopeful with this post: I've had the card for three weeks-- the statement should be closing soon. I've already posted the 4,000 that you need for the bonus points within 3 months-- did you get these when the first monthly statement closed?

I'm hopeful with this post: I've had the card for three weeks-- the statement should be closing soon. I've already posted the 4,000 that you need for the bonus points within 3 months-- did you get these when the first monthly statement closed?

Yes, mine were on the first statement