Better new Chase Credit Card

CaveDiving

Okay, I will go back and read through that. But when I was considering the card it said it came with a benefit called "Priority Pass Select." Prior to getting the card I could not find anything that stated what benefits came with priority pass select.

I had priority pass in the past before I settled on a single airline and their club - American Airlines (I traveled a ton on business), and I did have to pay to bring a guest in with me. Awesome if this card does not require that extra payment. It's the only reason I paid the $75 extra to add my spouse with her own card.

The Sapphire card is not used with American Airlines you can't get flights on American or transfer your miles to American. Citi bank is American

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Sapphire card is not used with American Airlines you can't get flights on American or transfer your miles to American. Citi bank is American

You can get flights on American, Delta and many international carriers through the Chase Ultimate Rewards booking portal. We've done it and Chase even advocated for us when Delta changed our flight schedule. They got us a full refund and assisted with rebooking, we even got the updated cheaper flight price. If you book the airline through UR portal you earn mileage for the flight because it is a third party booking.

The portal is user friendly and will also display cash and point pricing.

The upgrade from Chase Sapphire to Chase Sapphire reserve is ridiculously easy, we were approved for two cards with ridiculous spending limits in less than five minutes.

We had sufficient projected spending to get two cards simultaneously and qualify for two sets of bonus points. Another option is to stagger aquisition of two cards, buy one now and get the second one later.

If you are upgrading from Chase Sapphire to the reserve card, don't cancel the old card untill all your points have posted. There is a lag time between paying the bill and points posting. Then transfer the points to the Reserve account.

If you paid the $95 annual Chase Sapphire fee within the last six months you can request a refund of the annual fee.

I dont think I can post the web sites but there is so much info out there on how to maximize Reserve.

Next up for us is our thorough review of the Starwood Marriott merger.

Sammiedawg, you UPGRADED a Preferred and still got the 100k bonus? I'd read upgrading would not earn the bonus.

Yes, we upgraded with all bonus items x two cards.

I haven't looked at the Ultimate Rewards portal in a few months but last year we definitely booked American Airlines using Chase Sapphire points.

American is not a Chase travel partner, either is Delta so you cannot transfer points to their mileage programs. But we have booked both American and Delta with Chase points.

Our Delta trip was a month ago.

Sammiedawg, you UPGRADED a Preferred and still got the 100k bonus? I'd read upgrading would not earn the bonus.

I just transitioned from a chase sapphire to reserve-- I was told by customer service that it also wouldn't qualify unless I started from scratch.

I just transitioned from a chase sapphire to reserve-- I was told by customer service that it also wouldn't qualify unless I started from scratch.

I cannot explain this.

We are getting the bonus x two cards and our qualifying expenditures will be November at the latest.

You are correct. My banker advised not to "upgrade" my Preferred card but to open a new Reserve account. As Sammiedawg said, this can be done very quickly.

You need to open a NEW (not upgraded) Reserve account to be eligible for the 100,000 bonus, transfer your Prefererred points and THEN cancel your Preferred card, if you wish.

The Preferred annual fee is refunded if you cancel your old card within 60 days of the fee being charged.

My points have been transferred, I cancelled my Preferred card, got the $95.00 refund plus $300. travel credit for what I've purchased thus far with the Reserve card and anticipate getting the 100,000 point bonus when I spend more in the next 3 months to get to the $4000. required.

Good idea to not convert your card to a Reserve but rather to cancel the Sapphire one you have.

One question however - I have an upcoming cruise paid for with my Sapphire card. If I cancel it, will that negate the travel insurance it provides? I would think so, so perhaps I should wait to cancel until after the cruise.

The Preferred annual fee is refunded if you cancel your old card within 60 days of the fee being charged.

My points have been transferred, I cancelled my Preferred card, got the $95.00 refund

Thanks, this is what I understood.

In my case, my CSP renewed on June 1, and my CSR was approved mid August, do I just missed it. :(

Good idea to not convert your card to a Reserve but rather to cancel the Sapphire one you have.

One question however - I have an upcoming cruise paid for with my Sapphire card. If I cancel it, will that negate the travel insurance it provides? I would think so, so perhaps I should wait to cancel until after the cruise.

I specifically called about this. You DO need to wait until the travel is completed. I was told that the card must be active in order to make a claim.

Edited by RJ2002

You are correct. My banker advised not to "upgrade" my Preferred card but to open a new Reserve account. As Sammiedawg said, this can be done very quickly.

You need to open a NEW (not upgraded) Reserve account to be eligible for the 100,000 bonus, transfer your Prefererred points and THEN cancel your Preferred card, if you wish.

My points have been transferred, I cancelled my Preferred card, got the $95.00 refund plus $300. travel credit for what I've purchased thus far with the Reserve card and anticipate getting the 100,000 point bonus when I spend more in the next 3 months to get to the $4000. required.[/quote

We opened 2 new Reserve accounts and will cancel the previous Sapphire preferred accounts once our last bill pays and points are logged. We will cancel any day now as we have Autopay. We will transfer about 50,000 preferred points to Reserve.

We will get 100,000 points for each new reserve card when we reach the spending requirement. 100,000 reserve points transfer to the Ultimate Rewards portal at 1.5 per point. Easy math, $1500 dollar value for each card.

In contrast Sapphire preferred transferred to UR at 1.25.

The reserve bonus points can be worth 2-3 points if you transfer to a Chase travel partner, especially if there is a bonus offer.

We will receive a $95 refund for the annual fee paid within the last six months but we have to request the refund. Our banker definitely said six months is the window for the refund. If you are Chase private client the preferred $95 fee was waived. If you are Chase private client the $450 reserve fee is not waived.

Actually, sammiedawg said that you can upgrade, which most others are saying doesn't work.

My points have been transferred, I cancelled my Preferred card, got the $95.00 refund plus $300. travel credit for what I've purchased thus far with the Reserve card and anticipate getting the 100,000 point bonus when I spend more in the next 3 months to get to the $4000. required.

What you are saying is what I thought. But SammieDawg did just upgrade, not apply for a new, and got the points he said.

Semantics seem to come into play here.

We told the banker we wanted to upgrade to Reserve and she told us what to do. Drilling down the process we opened two new reserve accounts while keeping the old preferred accounts open for the short term.

Every financial situation is different and FICO scores and other parameters must influence what the process is.

Semantics seem to come into play here.

We told the banker we wanted to upgrade to Reserve and she told us what to do. Drilling down the process we opened two new reserve accounts while keeping the old preferred accounts open for the short term.

Every financial situation is different and FICO scores and other parameters must influence what the process is.

OK, this makes sense. You applied for a new product so you got the bonus points. This is exactly what we did, and we also plan to close our CSP cards soon. You can also ask Chase to transfer your CSP credit lines over to the CSR or another Chase card you may have.

We are thinking about getting the Chase Card and giving up our AMEX Platinum Card (no need to have both). However, in defense of AMEX, they now routinely have special "Offers" which really can enhance benefits. For example, last month we saved $80 on a single hotel booking because of a special offer. And now, AMEX is offering $100 for booking a cruise on several cruise lines.

It will be interesting to see if AMEX decides to increase their benefits to compete. For example, the Priority Pass benefit (with AMEX Platinum) does require the card holder to pay for additional guests (this usually costs about $29). And their Delta Sky Club benefit which used to allow guests for free...now require me to pay for guests. But after reading about the Chase Sapphire Reserve we are sure thinking about having a conversation with AMEX.

I have an AMEX Gold (personal) and AMEX Platinum (corp). I have been very underwhelmed with the Platinum benefits and there are almost no Gold benefits. My wife has Chase Sapphire an I have used this to book our last several cruises because of the insurance protection which looked fairly extensive when I researched it last. We typically just buy a separate medical/ evac insurance. I am thinking of getting the Sapphire Reserve which to me seems superior to AMEX products (ie I would cancel my gold card). With travel rebate against 450 fee this means my Reserve would cost 150 vs Gold which is around 100.

I have read that AMEX is concerned with lost customers and is looking to ramp up benes on their Plat Card.

I have also seen reference to a 5/24 rule by Chase ie. if you have had 5 Chase cards in past 24 mos. you will not qualify for the 100,000 points bonus offered for Reerve.

Can anyone speak to the difference between trip insurance between Sapphire and Sapphire Reserve? It would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If $4,000 is spent on the card within 3 months of card activation there is a cash Rebate of $1,000. Yes, that’s a thousand dollars. This surely swamps out the $475 activation fee. And as well as the one time $1,000 cash rebate, ($1,500 rebate if you choose to use their travel website [which I had omitted in a previous post]) The card also rebates 3 percent of everything spent for travel.

Would you mind clarifying the "cash rebate of $1,000"? I am aware of the 100,000 points awarded and the travel and Global Entry rebates (which total $400 per card) but don't see anything about the $1,000 rebate.

Would you mind clarifying the "cash rebate of $1,000"? I am aware of the 100,000 points awarded and the travel and Global Entry rebates (which total $400 per card) but don't see anything about the $1,000 rebate.

The "cash rebate" is the cash out value of the 100,000 points. It's not additional-- and probably not worth it, as the value of the 100,000 increases to $1500 if used to book travel.

The "cash rebate" is the cash out value of the 100,000 points. It's not additional-- and probably not worth it, as the value of the 100,000 increases to $1500 if used to book travel.

I also never cash mine out, as I find it more valuable to use it for hotel rooms. So far this year I have booked 5 rooms with points and each would have cost me around $250, so I am getting 2.5% instead of the 1.0%.