What Cruise Critic means to me............

themirsk

Having lived in South FLorida for the last 14 years, I dread the very mention of the word 'hurricane!!' When Hurricane Wilma ripped through Boynton Beach, it was truly frightening. It was no Katrina...thank God...but nonetheless, it was very stressful. Thankfully all our family, neighbors and friends made it through just fine. After the hurricane, a quick survey of our house and the neighborhood confirmed the standard damage - a few missing roof tiles, collapsed screened-in patios, plenty of downed trees, broken fences, destroyed shrubbery and debris all over the place...but luckily, nothing major. And as usual we were all left without power, telephones and some without water and sewer. This time however the weather co-operated after the storm. It was ideal for the clean-up. The temps were considerably cool, with almost no humidity, and the days and nights without air conditioning were quite pleasant. For me, the biggest problem came when my cell phone's battery died and no one else had a similar charger. (Oh yes, I wasn't prepared with a battery charger for my car!!!) And, with no access to a generator, I felt isolated without the most basic of luxuries - communication!!! With no telephone and obviously no internet or email, I couldn't let my family and friends, and my "September 18th, 2004 Extended Hurricane Jeanne" Cruise Critic friends (a very active thread to this day) know that all was well with us. Luckily my one day's search produced the 'very last car battery back-up left in town'....and with little gas left in the car...as gas lines were miles long...we were reduced to a day or so of peanut butter, crackers and two cans of tuna fish!!!

And now, with that as a background, comes the reason for the post........

It was Saturday, 6 days after the hurricane, when a car I didn't recognize pulled into our driveway. I could hardly believe my eyes. Out of the car stepped one of our Sept 18th CC friends!!! She told us how worried our other CC friends were that they hadn't heard from us....so she decided to get in her car and come down and see for herself!!! She drove 50 miles....with little gas available and just a few working traffic lights....and brought us a car filled to the brim with bags of ice, water and enough food to sustain us for days!!!! We were overwhelmed. We were definitely visited by our very own angel - from Jupiter, Florida!!!

And, that's what Cruise Critic means to me. Thank you Cruise Critic and all Cruise Critic friends on this board....who we care about....and care about us!!! :)

M&M's

What a great, great story. Last year while on the Sapphire Princess we met a great group of people on our roll call and five of us are still corresponding each and every day. They have become like family to my DH and I. I really value their friendship. Again thanks for sharing your story.

Marilyn

Yup now and then you find a friend or two for life. Nothing beats that kind of thing. I am happy it has happened to others here as well. Even though I don't talk to my friends each day or even week it is fun to pick up the phone and get a call out of the blue or an email.

Glad you are safe in FL.

Rita

Aww...M&M's.....thank you! Yes, your Angel from Jupiter did visit you....and you know why???? She and we know that YOU would also do it for one of us in the same situation.

I'm sorry you had to go 6 days in that situation...next time....you and yours just head up my way.....my casa...your casa...(not quite the expression but it's the best I can do).....my home is always open.

Very fond friends are all of you! One for All....All for One!!!!

Hugs being sent your way.......................................................:D

I've always known that one of the VERY best things about cruising and Cruise Critic is the wonderful people we get to meet and make life-long friends. Thank you for sharing this story. It's the very best of Cruise Critic members and it shows the essence of our human spirit! Pass it on!

M&M's, what a wonderful heartfelt post. If you ever feel you really need to get out of there, come up and visit me. We have plenty of couches and we usually are out of harms way. cheaper than a hotel too. deb

• Administrators
I've always known that one of the VERY best things about cruising and Cruise Critic is the wonderful people we get to meet and make life-long friends. Thank you for sharing this story. It's the very best of Cruise Critic members and it shows the essence of our human spirit! Pass it on!

Our members *are* the best thing about Cruise Critic.....

Laura

Thanks for the great story. We don't always agree with every post, but overall, I do feel that CC members are great people.

We met a young couple from Alaska on a CC board, and had dinner with them on Constellation last year. When we went to Alaska in May, we met up with them and had a marvelous time. We are hoping that in the spring they will come to Florida and stay with us.

It is great to meet people with whom you've had conversations on the net. We did that also on NCL Star when we went to Alaska. We had a meet 'n'greet with people from our role call. It was quite nice.

Katie

Archived