Disappointed Chef - Let down by Cruise Dictator Ken Mills

DisappointedChef

It all makes sense now; the OP is Ken Mills having a little fun under a pseudonym. Well played!

I've had the same thought. I know that many on the ships follow and post on Cruise Critic. Don't really know Ken Mills, or one of his friends who is just having some fun. Might have no connection with Ken Mills at all. Certainly entertaining.

Edited by Orator

"Pinning too much hope"...exactly what do you mean by that? That it might be the start of a career/discovery of your talents?

There are ways to make your dreams come true. do you work in a restaurant now? Have you been to culinary school? If this is truly your passion, make your dreams come true in the real world, not on a half hour cruise show.

Edited by warmwinds

I've worked and travelled in Sweden much more than I care to remember. I even used to speak the lingo once, but all these years later it's pretty much gone.

All I can say is that if you are a half decent chef, please stop sailing, stay in Sweden and put your heart and soul into improving the local cusine. Any nation that can serve up a stir-fry with Bernaise sauce on top needs all the help it can get. Potatoes, tomatoes, elk meat, sil, lax, they're all great but for heaven's sake, get a bit more international.

Hi Chunky,

I am married to a Swede.......and have lived and worked in 10 countries in the past 20 years........so I do know my cuisines and food!!!!! Nothing screams "International" quite like my background does.

I don't cook Swedish food for my friends and family as they expect the exotic at my table. Don't even get me started on the "Surströmming". Japanese/Indian/Thai/Chinese define the basis of fusion food that I have perfected. Mina svenska språkkunskaper är mycket grundläggande.

Suckers.

When will you people learn there are scores of posters on CC all trying to wind you in, and succeeding.

Many posters also have multiple nicknames.....surely not!

When I signed up about 3/4 years ago i found it quite useful....now its entertainment value only. On those grounds id give the OP (Original Poster) 10 out of 10.

He has had his fun...please watch out for similar postings....and don't fall for the idea they are always from first time posters.

Remember :) ;) :D :D :eek: :o

"Pinning too much hope"...exactly what do you mean by that? That it might be the start of a career/discovery of your talents?

There are ways to make your dreams come true. do you work in a restaurant now? Have you been to culinary school? If this is truly your passion, make your dreams come true in the real world, not on a half hour cruise show.

Pinning too much hope in my case meant......ticking it off my bucket list. I have completed courses in Professional Bakery and Confectionery....and worked in a Restaurant as a Sous Chef when I was a student.

In the remote part of the world we live in......I have zero access to any cookery shows live, to watch or participate in......... hence the keenness. Most of you replying on this forum are US based......and wont understand what I mean when I say......it was a "once in a lifetime opportunity"......

Suckers.

When will you people learn there are scores of posters on CC all trying to wind you in, and succeeding.

When I signed up about 3/4 years ago i found it quite useful....now its entertainment value only. On those grounds id give the OP (Original Poster) 10 out of 10.

He has had his fun...please watch out for similar postings....and don't fall for the idea they are always from first time posters.

Ahlan wa sahlan Sollyman,

I am a first time OP. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I am a REAL person........and all my postings have been genuine.

I rest my case. Its time for dinner here in Sweden.

Tack, DisappointedChef, för underhållning er alla. Huruvida detta är "på riktigt", är din engelska ett nöje att läsa ... mycket bättre än min svenska ...

Thank you, DisappointedChef, for the entertainment. Whether or not this is 'for real', your English is a pleasure to read...much better than my Swedish...

Ugh

You have replied to so many other posts and ignored mine.....Are you the Swedish chef from the Muppets? Please now just apply for something like 'strictly come dancing'.

Sorry Chemmo,

You got lost in the crowd. The barrage was more like a deluge! Hit me all at once........

I like the juxtaposition of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets.....but in my instance....it would be a female Chef!

The Swedish version of "Strictly come dancing" is entitled "Let's Dance".....and I see no connection whatsoever with the thread at hand. I need to clarify that I was not seeking my 15 seconds of fame..........

What does being passionate about the culinary art have to do with dancing? I don't get it.

This was my thought as well, or someone from Celebrity trying to get more people interested in the Top Chef program. It would be interesting to see how many people have visited their site looking for info on it today in response to this thread.

If at all......I sought to open the eyes of the naive to realities.

I am real.......

As an ardent fan of Bravo's Top Chef, selecting the Celebrity Solstice was a cherry pick! Imagine my disappointment when Cruise Director Ken Mills picked only contestants who were parts of large groups (because he wallows in applause and attention!).

I was deprived of the opportunity of a lifetime only because of a discriminating Cruise Director!

Ken Mills made it very obvious, and that lack of empathy killed my dream.

Cooking, is after all, what I am most passionate about.

Have you ever considered the possibility that you are not the center of the universe?

NOW... can anyone direct me to the latest dress code thread that has not been shunted to the sticky???

Thanks for attempting to appease me......

There was a complete lack of transparency and fair play.......and the whole competition was reduced to nothing but a "farce" by Ken Mills.

All I saw on the in-house Channel was Ken singing......and that confirms that he loves the sound of his own voice......and doesn't give a rats ass about anyone else's feelings.

Whichever way you slice it... Ken Mills crushed my dreams...

I will NEVER get an opportunity to have any association with an International Cookery show again.

I can assert firmly that Ken very clearly over-looked me because I bear dark hair and asian features.........and am not your stereotypical blonde-blue-eyed-Caucasian (from a large Group) that Ken honed in on.

He actually looked right thru me. Cant say he missed me as I am 5' 10" and pretty well built.

Unfortunately for me... the opportunity had passed and will NEVER come by again!

You have quite obviously been intentionally discriminated against... :mad:

It is truly shocking to contemplate that you experienced such unacceptable treatment. :eek:

As an completely innocent victim of this horribly outrageous offense, you are legally and morally ENTITLED to COMPENSATION and should initiate legal action immediately! ;)

Those arrogant, greedy, uncaring corporate monsters MUST be made to PAY!!!

Edited by teecee60

If at all......I sought to open the eyes of the naive to realities.

I am real.......

Well, with all due respect, that is what people here are trying to do with you. It was a bit naive of you to expect certain things, especially since the reality ended up being so harsh for you.

If you decide to cruise again, please come here and ask questions so you are not disappointed again. People here are happy to help.

Sorry Chemmo,

You got lost in the crowd. The barrage was more like a deluge! Hit me all at once........

I like the juxtaposition of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets.....but in my instance....it would be a female Chef!

The Swedish version of "Strictly come dancing" is entitled "Let's Dance".....and I see no connection whatsoever with the thread at hand. I need to clarify that I was not seeking my 15 seconds of fame..........

What does being passionate about the culinary art have to do with dancing? I don't get it.

If it wasn't your 15 seconds of fame you were seeking why didn't you go on a chefs culinary and dining experience rather than opt for a game show?

Tack, DisappointedChef, för underhållning er alla. Huruvida detta är "på riktigt", är din engelska ett nöje att läsa ... mycket bättre än min svenska ...

Thank you, DisappointedChef, for the entertainment. Whether or not this is 'for real', your English is a pleasure to read...much better than my Swedish...

Hej Crown Vic,

Jag är gift med en svenska man i 16 år, men min svenska språkkunskaper är fortfarande inte perfekt. Jag talar fem språk ...... och är en mästare på många olika kök.

Hej Crown Vic,

Jag är gift med en svenska man i 16 år, men min svenska språkkunskaper är fortfarande inte perfekt. Jag talar fem språk ...... och är en mästare på många olika kök.

I am married to a Swedish man for 16 years, but my Swedish language skills are still not perfect. I speak five languages ​​...and am a master of many different cuisines.

Really gotta go!

Hi Helen,

The "Top-Chef Night Menu" enthused me even more......

Then be very careful on any future bookings - it has been dropped from UK sailings of the Eclipse - such was the unpopularity of the menu.

Thinking of the culinary skills you mention you have, how would you have felt / taken it had you been lucky enough to have been selected and then lost in the competition to someone who you claim couldn't peel a potato?