Alaskan 7 day Itinerary -- Overnight ??

FrugalMother99

We did Celebrity Solstice to Alaska this year for our wedding anniversary - sail date was May 27 - so right at your time of year.

I packed Woolley hats, scarves, fleeces, gloves etc - needed them all - We took the catamaran excursion (which is amazing) up the Fjord on the morning of Juneau as it takes you right in close to the glacier whereas the ship can only go so far in. That for sure requires your woolleys!

The balcony isn't as cold as being "outside". But you will feel it more than we do - we are Scots and hardy to it. I am sure Norwegian do as Celebrity does and provides warm blankets for the balcony viewing?

For sure no sunbathing the entire trip. We did the zipwire in Skagway and that was the warmest day.

If you are "cold sensitive" - urm - wrong time of year its gonna be chilly!!

(and wet - bring your rain jacket).

Loved every single glorious moment and wouldn't have swapped it for the world! (aside from the zipwire - the story of which is in my review)

If you hunt down my review there are pics along the way - it was sunny - but brrrrrrrrr .... as we say in Scotland "nae taps aff!":D

Thanks for your reply! Of course I would have preferred July or August, but an amazing deal came up for this cruise (it may have been a mistake on the cruise line's part), and I couldn't pass it up so I booked it immediately. (As a solo traveler, I have to take advantage of bargains when I can get them!) I appreciate you letting me know that you did find it to be chilly. Coming from Florida I will have to pack any heavy clothing, and need to stay under 50 lbs. in my suitcase. It won't be easy!

Pam

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Someone with Inside Information - check out this:

Possible that the excursions to the glaciers are limited capacity controlled ?

I.E. the Tracy Arm Sawyer excursion may not permit two large size ships

in the same area - whereas the Glacier Bay is large enough but also may

have restrictions due to wild life fish habitats. Glacier Bay usually has a

National Parks Ranger come aboard for narrative about glaciers.

But this "OVERNIGHT" thing in/at Juneau is not the same thing like port calls

at Bermuda or the Bahamas or even Quebec City.

This is not constructed as B2B and both of these cruises are Closed Loop

requiring a Canadian stop at Victoria !

Like the Bridge to No Where at Ketchikan maybe Juneau has crafted an

"OVERNIGHT" cruise to no where ?

Explanation ? ? ?

Explanation ? ? ?

C'mon man' date=' why introduce unnecessary confusion?

The "overnight" thing, as has been stated, is not really accurate. There is no mystery. The Jewel leaves Juneau at 13:30 and heads to Tracy Arm, then to Skagway.

Glacier Bay is limited by the National Park Service to 2 cruise ships on any given day. I don't know if Tracy Arm has any restrictions like that, but I don't think you could fit more than 2 ships down there. Maybe 3 max.

Close quarters... taken from the Jewel near Sawyer Island...

[img']http://mrose.org/cc/HAL-ship-in-tracy-arm.jpg[/img]

Jewel vs Pearl in AK.

Remember AK is more about AK than the ship - but these ships are sisters and are more alike than different.

Itinerary:

Ketchikan Both ships arrive early AM and spent about 5hrs there - Jewel visits as its first port stop, Pearl the last.

Juneau - both ships visit on the same day, Jewel in the AM, Pearl in the PM - there is usually enough daylight to allow the Pearl to enjoy the same tours as the Jewel.

Skagway - again both ships arrive at the same time on the same day - the Jewel needs to leave earlier due to its long run back to Victoria

Victoria - the mandatory Canada stop - Jewel arrives a bit earlier on a Friday and spends the better part of the afternoon and evening there The Pearl arrives around 6:00 PM and leaves around Midnight - not as much is open in the city to do.

Glacier Bay a National Park with restricted access - only two cruise ships/day. Park Rangers board the ship and give a detailed talk on the bay.

Tracy Arm - a glacier carved fjord with a pair of tidewater glaciers at the end. The fjord twists and turns and is both narrow and deep - you wonder how the ship is going to make some of the turns. Best experienced through the optional small boat tour (Tracy Arm Explorer Excursion through NCL). The small boat leaves ahead of the Jewel and speeds ahead and into the fjord goes up the arm to North Sawyer Glacier (not easily seen from the ship) and then sits in front of South Sawyer Glacier until the Jewel arrives, you then transfer back to the ship for the journey out.

Both sets of Glacier cruising are unique - if you add the cost of the small boat tour to the Jewel the overall costs are almost the same.

I think we have established that the overnight is bogus as is the sailing on the eastern side of Vancouver Island (unless the west passage is unsafe due to sea conditions).

For more info on the ports look at http://www.cruiseportinsider.com

Rooms - IMHO a balcony is a necessity for AK - granted there are lots of public space on either ship - both have forward observation lounges - but nothing beats having your own space to sit back and enjoy the view from. For a forward looking balcony you need to be in a suite - either an owners or an SE. The next favored location is Aft - there you can get either an SF suite or a balcony or even a mini suite. The best balconies are on deck 10 - deck 11 is all mini suites. Note this is well know and these cabins not only sell fast, NCL has placed them in a premium category and charge more for them. The SF suites will only sleep 3 while the minis and balcony cabins can handle 4 - as long as your teens can sleep on the same bed :D

To dos for teens - if they are really brave they can visit the pools - the Jewel still has water slides - the Pearl has had them removed. Most of the time there will be scenery on both sides of the ship and watching for wildlife helps pass the time. Both ships have arcades and huge Wii screens. There is often something happening in the atrium area of both ships - napkin folding, towel animals, how a cruise ship runs etc. Your teens will probably also find other teens on board and simply want to hang out together.

Time of year - We have always cruised in June - mid x2 and late x1. Weather is hard to predict in AK, the past few years May and June have been better than July. September is always a crap shoot. Wildlife sightings vary with the season - whales and eagles will be seen just about all the time, seal and seal pups (Tracy Arm) are more prevalent in the spring. Bears come out with the salmon spawning - late summer.

Enjoy your cruise - no matter which one you choose:)

Sungold, I used my rain jacket as an extra layer even if it was sunny out. It seemed to keep out the wind and chill even with my warm jacket. My sisters went in May to Alaska and wore her earmuffs and mittens often. I went in Sept. and it was beautiful but chilly on the ship. The hot chocolate that Celebrity served was very welcomed. Enjoy your trip, but think warm. You can get adequate clothing by buying on line from outdoor catalogs. Some of it very light, but warm. Check them out.

I think I would personally go with the Pearl. The hours are better at the better ports, Juno and Skaggsway. There is not a ton to do in Kechican and I know I was beat by time we got to the Canada port and just stayed on the ship. Had a suite and I agree the balcony is necessary for Alaska and well worth the little extra. Best excusions are in Juno and Skaggsway so make sure you have plenty of time for those.

Our waterslides were shut the whole time and never opened(too cold) thought the temps were not as bad as expected in mid May. between 35 and 55 degree's. Alaska is beautiful and the green you see and waterfalls are just amazing! Not to mention the icebergs! I think that was one of the most amazing things, had like 5 pics of the 1st 1 I saw and then at least 1 of each after and well camera filled with icebergs

Explanation ? ? ?

Hah? What are you trying to say? There are a bunch of random incorrect assertions here.

The web pages are generated from itinerary data in the system. Some update to their software is not interpreting the glacier sail-by data (which probably has no arrival or departure time) correctly. Software bug

IF you go to Sawyer Glacier is dependent upon the ice conditions. We have gone to Alaska for the past two years and have not made it to Sawyer glacier yet. (Made it there in the past). Most cruise lines won't operate in ice conditions like the photo above. Too much to foul thrusters and azipods.

I think I would personally go with the Pearl. The hours are better at the better ports, Juno and Skaggsway. There is not a ton to do in Kechican and I know I was beat by time we got to the Canada port and just stayed on the ship. Had a suite and I agree the balcony is necessary for Alaska and well worth the little extra. Best excusions are in Juno and Skaggsway so make sure you have plenty of time for those.

I guess it's a matter of opinion. Ketchikan is my favorite of the three ports and I can take or leave Skagway. Juneau is nice, but I love Ketchikan and look for cruises that have longer port times there. :D

July appears to be the better month for us to travel. Is there an advantage for cruising Alaska in June or August?

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to fish for King salmon then June would be better. If you want to go someplace like Anan Creek for bear viewing, then August is typically better. If you don't have your heart set on a specific activity that is better early or later in the season, then July will be great. :D

Just off the Pearl's last trip of the season. The itinerary was great except for the late arrival in Victoria. I'd like to recommend an aft balcony. Not only did we have a spectacular view we were able to use it when side balconies were too windy/rainy. Ours on deck 10 was deep holding 2 chairs and loungers. Enjoy whichever trip you choose!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks everyone for all the replies. IF we cruise in 2017, we will select the Pearl itinerary departing Seattle either July 2nd or 9th. We will definitely select a balcony cabin; probably not an AFT cabin. We were in a mid-ship cabin when we sailed aboard the Spirit in the Mediterranean and I could feel the movement of the ship (not in a good way) so mid-ship is a better location for me.

BUT ... I've been reading about NCL's new mega ship being built especially for the Alaskan market ... sounds interesting. Ressies are available January 2017, so we will wait until then for more details & then decide between a smaller ship in 2017 or a mega ship in 2018.

Thanks everyone for all the replies. IF we cruise in 2017, we will select the Pearl itinerary departing Seattle either July 2nd or 9th. We will definitely select a balcony cabin; probably not an AFT cabin. We were in a mid-ship cabin when we sailed aboard the Spirit in the Mediterranean and I could feel the movement of the ship (not in a good way) so mid-ship is a better location for me.

BUT ... I've been reading about NCL's new mega ship being built especially for the Alaskan market ... sounds interesting. Ressies are available January 2017, so we will wait until then for more details & then decide between a smaller ship in 2017 or a mega ship in 2018.

Aft cabins actually have less issues with motion - we were in a forward cabin on our last cruise to New England a few weeks ago and had more motion then we have ever felt on a cruise ship. In this case it was 17+ kn side winds buffeting the ship so we had lots of side to side motion as well as wind noise at the balcony doors.

IMHO the Breakaway+ category ship does not fit AK very well - way too big. Ask Celebrity :D

Thanks for your reply! Of course I would have preferred July or August, but an amazing deal came up for this cruise (it may have been a mistake on the cruise line's part), and I couldn't pass it up so I booked it immediately. (As a solo traveler, I have to take advantage of bargains when I can get them!) I appreciate you letting me know that you did find it to be chilly. Coming from Florida I will have to pack any heavy clothing, and need to stay under 50 lbs. in my suitcase. It won't be easy!

Pam

The ship will have lots of bargain fleeces and warm clothing "On sale" - might be worth buying on board and having less to carry on the way out? Hand luggage? use your full allowance - we travel with 2 x 23kg often but utilise every piece of hand baggage we can - save one piece of hand baggage (you are usually allowed a rucksack size as well as a cabin size)for the homeward journey for on board purchases. We had an absolutely fantastic time - it was a dream trip for us - Seattle itself we spent three days in - it was amazing! Loved every second of our trip and couldn't have cared less about the weather - it was awesome! That crisp air - the crackle of the ice on the water - the blue skies and snow capped mountains - very like Scotland in fat in places - enjoy every minute!!

IMHO the Breakaway+ category ship does not fit AK very well - way too big. Ask Celebrity :D

The Celebrity Infinity, which struck the dock in Ketchikan, is smaller than the Norwegian Pearl -- obviously nowhere near the size of a Breakaway Plus class ship. The accident was attributed to a sudden change in wind conditions during the ship's final approach toward the dock.

So, there's that...

The Celebrity Infinity, which struck the dock in Ketchikan, is smaller than the Norwegian Pearl -- obviously nowhere near the size of a Breakaway Plus class ship. The accident was attributed to a sudden change in wind conditions during the ship's final approach toward the dock.

So, there's that...

I was thinking more of the Solstice :)

Aren't the Breakaway class ships more suited to Caribbean cruising with their

floating amusement decks. The ships sailing the Alaska market are in a class

of smaller scenic viewing ships be it from a balcony or top deck.

That and the ships are smaller to get into narrow fjords and not take up entire

piers (Ketchikan).

Then too trying to market all those staterooms in a limited seasonal period.

I hear that the incident at Ketchikan was rather minor taking one pier out of

service for about 3 weeks and no one being unduly inconvenienced sharing

the tendering between smaller ships.

Imagine a bad Hollywood "B" movie of a -Away class ship taking out all of the

piers !

Aren't the Breakaway class ships more suited to Caribbean cruising with their

floating amusement decks.

YES-- even cruising from NYC on the Breakaway isn't really great-- supposedly it was designed for "cold weather" but in reality not so much.

Other than glacier bay (which was FREEZING due to standing on open decks)' date=' I found the weather in Alaska to be moderate mid-July.

Edited by denatravels

I'm not sure what it means, we'll sail the Jewel if we do Alaska again - we've sailed the Pearl twice and will try something new. For fun - here's a picture of the Jewel following the Pearl into one of the ports in June, 2015

enhance

Edited by Tricialy