How to save money without Cheers the first day?

Vigorosity

but... if you didn't want to drop a c-note on a day of drinking, why not drop $25 here and there before you board on bar credits or whatever they are called? you can spread them out and then you don't have to worry about it because you've already paid and it's done and over with.

That doesn't really reduce the amount spent at all. You're just playing head games with yourself if you're thinking spending $25 four different times prior to the cruise is any better than spending $100 on the first day.

Like maldenmusic, I'm wondering what the deal is? Why wouldn't they want to sell cheers on the first day? Is it because they find people drink very heavily that day, so Carnival loses money?

Bring your bottle of wine... and your canned soda.. buy juice from the bartenders... VOILA! Sangria!

And get drunk before you get on the ship so you're ahead of the game. If you get drunk enough, you might pass out and not need any drinks at all! LOL! ;)

That doesn't really reduce the amount spent at all. You're just playing head games with yourself if you're thinking spending $25 four different times prior to the cruise is any better than spending $100 on the first day.

Like maldenmusic, I'm wondering what the deal is? Why wouldn't they want to sell cheers on the first day? Is it because they find people drink very heavily that day, so Carnival loses money?

Actually, it kinda makes sense to me. If I spend $25 a week on pre-purchasing things, it makes me spend less on other things at home (going out for dinner, shopping, etc)

Also, Alabama, Texas, and New York have dumb liquor laws. Can't sell cheers or deliver any alcohol the first day.

I don't drink that much (I'm not in my early 20's anymore) :D but I do drink the most on the first day for some reason. I think it's just being on vacation and cutting loose a little bit at the beginning.

Personally, I would stick to well drinks for that first day to save money. They will start to taste a little better as the day goes on. :) Then on the 2nd day when your Cheers kicks in you can jump right up to the top shelf and your drinks will taste sooooo good!

I don't drink that much (I'm not in my early 20's anymore) :D but I do drink the most on the first day for some reason. I think it's just being on vacation and cutting loose a little bit at the beginning.

Personally, I would stick to well drinks for that first day to save money. They will start to taste a little better as the day goes on. :) Then on the 2nd day when your Cheers kicks in you can jump right up to the top shelf and your drinks will taste sooooo good!

The first day is the most exciting! We are always refreshed from our hotel stay and happy to just start vacation! I think I might try to stick to well drinks as much as possible. Although, the drink menu with pina coladas and margaritas and mojitos is just so hard to stay away from! lol

I think I'm just gonna suck it up and pay for what I want! (sadly)

I see the judgy McJudgersons have arrived.... aside from quitting drinking... I say board as late as possible, drink your wine you bring onboard, order doubles and an extra mixer drink and add as needed and save your heavy party days for day 2 and beyond.

Who's judging? They asked for a way to save money and I gave them a viable alternative. Doesn't matter to me how much they drink but the more they drink without the program, the more it will cost.

Cake have your cake and eat it too. ;)

Hey! We will be cruising out of Mobile next month...and apparently you can't buy Cheers the first day. I'm just trying not to spend $100 without blinking. On my last cruise, the first night is when I had the most drinks, actually.

I know about bringing on a bottle of wine...but is there any other way? The $58 I would have spent the first night on Cheers will only get me about 5 drinks.

That is easy don't drink!!!!!!!!

Reducing the amount spent is hard if you are going to be drinking, so at least spreading it out you're not worried about that at the end of the bill. There's always the option to just drink your own wine that you bring on board...

It's stupid it's not good for the first day--but there are as many reasons out there as people, and who knows what is true and what's totally made up.

I have never seen someone suggest this option. I was just putting $500 aside for my January cruise.....now I have that $500 saved and it only cost me $450 thru AARP.....Big Score!!! Thanks for the suggestion!!

Paid for our entire cruise this way, saved 10%. Started last cruise S&S account with a $500 gift card and got cash back at the end. Win, win, win!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Forums mobile app

Best. Answer. Ever.

Hahah! I think so, too! I'll probably bring an extra bottle of champagne for mimosas before we leave the hotel. Also, it allows parking...so we dont even have to drive to the port if we don't want to. :D

I'm so excited!!!

1. Have every (adult) member of your party carry on their own bottle of wine.

2. Order a bottle of liquor before boarding and have it waiting for you in your stateroom. Bring your own cans of soda/juice for mixers.

3. If you must, order a drink of the day for sailaway, then just stick to the drinks from 1 & 2 above.

If you aren't a heavy drinker, forget Cheers and just stick with 1 & 2 to save the most. That's what we're doing on our cruise in February, as we'll be spending a good deal of time in port (with a couple drinks of the day here and there).

Edited by VASOXFANN

Hahah! I think so, too! I'll probably bring an extra bottle of champagne for mimosas before we leave the hotel. Also, it allows parking...so we dont even have to drive to the port if we don't want to. :D

I'm so excited!!!

Strap on a rum runners and that should take care of you at the dance club.

Who's judging? They asked for a way to save money and I gave them a viable alternative. Doesn't matter to me how much they drink but the more they drink without the program, the more it will cost.

Cake have your cake and eat it too. ;)

Respectfully, it was not your suggestion of not drinking that was "judgy" (advice of not drinking is a legit, allbeit less fun option) but rather, it was a comment from someone who quoted your post.... I have put it below... saying they feel bad for people who feel they need to relax is most certainly "judgy"... I was merely making an observation that inevitably, whenever drinking, gambling or how to save money come up, the judges always seem to weigh in....

Here was the comment I was referring To...

Agree.

I have been on 4 cruises. Have not purchased even one drink. I am not a teetotaler by any stretch....I just don't need alcohol to relax or have a good time. I feel bad for those that do. And I just cannot fathom myself spending hundreds of dollars (or more) for booze on a cruise."

Respectfully, it was not your suggestion of not drinking that was "judgy" (advice of not drinking is a legit, allbeit less fun option) but rather, it was a comment from someone who quoted your post.... I have put it below... saying they feel bad for people who feel they need to relax is most certainly "judgy"... I was merely making an observation that inevitably, whenever drinking, gambling or how to save money come up, the judges always seem to weigh in....

Here was the comment I was referring To...

Agree.

I have been on 4 cruises. Have not purchased even one drink. I am not a teetotaler by any stretch....I just don't need alcohol to relax or have a good time. I feel bad for those that do. And I just cannot fathom myself spending hundreds of dollars (or more) for booze on a cruise."

That was my quote. And regardless how YOU ARE NOW JUDGING ME now, it won't change how I FEEL. I truly do feel bad for people that have to have alcohol to relax and/or have fun.

And I agree with the guy above. Not buying ridiculously overpriced alcohol (via single drinks or cheers package) on a cruise ship is definitely a way to save money. A lot of money in some cases. And that was the basic question.