Bring back the 3 bed garden villas

suffield12

We've been fortunate enough to have experienced DOS and OS cabins on the breakaway and epic and whilst both were fantastic nothing compares to our current experience onboard the Jade in a garden villa. The outside space is truly exceptional.

This had me thinking, though I understand completely that the sheer amount of real estate these cabins occupy can be filled with normal cash cow haven suites it is a huge shame that NCL scrapped the villas on all the newbuild vessels. Does anyone else agree that it would be a great addition to the next round of vessels?

On another note, to me the haven area onboard the Jade is a much better product than the newbuild vessels (albeit the lack of haven bar/resteruant is disappointing) with only the 12 cabins having access (compared to over 80 on the breakaway according to our butler) makes the area very exclusive and very quiet.

We've been fortunate enough to have experienced DOS and OS cabins on the breakaway and epic and whilst both were fantastic nothing compares to our current experience onboard the Jade in a garden villa. The outside space is truly exceptional.

This had me thinking, though I understand completely that the sheer amount of real estate these cabins occupy can be filled with normal cash cow haven suites it is a huge shame that NCL scrapped the villas on all the newbuild vessels. Does anyone else agree that it would be a great addition to the next round of vessels?

On another note, to me the haven area onboard the Jade is a much better product than the newbuild vessels (albeit the lack of haven bar/resteruant is disappointing) with only the 12 cabins having access (compared to over 80 on the breakaway according to our butler) makes the area very exclusive and very quiet.

Not sure. I did think about it when the Epic came out and when BA came out it seemed evident they were done with the GVs. During the recession pricing seemed to bottom out on them and is now rebounded quite a bit and yes, it is a lot of space that they probably make more money with many smaller rooms.

I did notice that the Escape DOS is larger than BA/GA and sleeps six. I guess I was mostly surprised on BA/GA the OS are not bigger and the bathroom is stuck in the interior. They did end up reducing the DOS size on BA 3 times.

They also reduced Dawn/Star GVs from 8 to 7 a few years back and not sure why they did that.

Totally agree about Haven on Jewel class being way better - but there are 17 Haven suites on Jade. There are a few Haven suites on Jewel class that are aft. Even if all of those had max occupancy you are still under 100 total Haven passengers on Jewel class.

I'm sure you are loving your room. We had 14500 for two weeks, 9/28-10/8. I was in total awe and hated to leave the ship.

We were just two and so the extra bedrooms were a waste of space. I think it would be nice if those could somehow be booked separately.

It was by far the best at sea experience we've ever had. Since the gv had just about anything we could want we didn't even end up using the courtyard.

I've also been looking at the plans for the newer builds and looks like they no longer offer anything comparable.

I'm still waking up in the morning and it takes a minute for me to realize I'm back home and not in the gv.

Totally agree about Haven on Jewel class being way better - but there are 17 Haven suites on Jade. There are a few Haven suites on Jewel class that are aft. Even if all of those had max occupancy you are still under 100 total Haven passengers on Jewel class.

Are you sure about them being Haven suites vs. regular suites - i.e. Hx vs. Sx?

They are regular suites and do not have access to the Haven

As far as we know, the only Jewel-class suites that are Haven suites but are not physically in the Haven are the OS suites on Decks 9 and 10 forward (port and starboard, 4 total) that have a forward balcony and also a side balcony.

We are looking forward to those, although it's not as convenient as stepping out of one's suite and already being in the Haven.

We were just two and so the extra bedrooms were a waste of space. I think it would be nice if those could somehow be booked separately.

Those could be resold on the Star. The suites are setup so that access can either be the living area plus a couple of bedrooms or the outside area plus a couple of bedrooms. Not sure if it's ever been done but the door configurations are there to block off areas. And those can also be combined with the other one on the opposite side. The walls in the living room are able to be moved to open to the other and the same is true on the outside space.

We love the GVs and the Star and Dawn are our favorite. The deck space on those are amazing. We were so disappointed on the Jewel class ships when they added the suite above the GV which took some room away from the upper deck. We have had both GV's rented on the Jewel for a New England cruise and have them both booked again in June for Alaska. It would be great to be able to open the decks to each other, and the rooms as well, as you can on the Star and Dawn. Listen to me complain about a GV. Sorry. I'm going to stop now. There is no sense in that.

Those could be resold on the Star. The suites are setup so that access can either be the living area plus a couple of bedrooms or the outside area plus a couple of bedrooms. Not sure if it's ever been done but the door configurations are there to block off areas. And those can also be combined with the other one on the opposite side. The walls in the living room are able to be moved to open to the other and the same is true on the outside space.

I was thinking it wouldn't be much to refit that configuration on the Jade. There's already a hallway access door at the end of the hallway inside the gv and each room has card key access. It would simply be putting up a door where the master bedroom hallway door is. Granted the two extra bedrooms would need some spiffing up to make them a little more Haven quality. They are essentially SF furnished as is but they would easily sell stand alone with Haven access and no access to the rest of the GV unless all booked together. The remaining space is still insane/perhaps a little too much upper deck space for two but I don't know how you could cut any of that out without affecting the privacy. I bet if that was an option the suites would be in higher demand. Couples who want a totally private over the top suite would book the main section, families or groups would book the whole suite as a 3 bedroom and couples could book one of the other 2 bedrooms as a less expensive Haven suite.

We were in the GV on the Star last year. We asked our butler about the doors that blocked out the rooms and if they ever rent the rooms separately. He said no. The reasons for the doors is really for butler service and quietness. If one bedroom wants breakfast delivered at 6 am and the other rooms do not want to be disturbed, those doors can be closed and the butler can deliver to the one bedroom. There is a closet behind the hallway wall where the butler enters for these types of quiet requests.

In my opinion, the GV on the Star was absolutely fabulous. The best vacation EVER!

Edited by maja651

Along the same note, we noticed on the 2bdrm suites on deck 11 show a separate cabin number for the second bedroom and the way the suite is laid out, they could be sold as a solo cabin :D

There are three card keyed doors in these suites - the main hallway access, the access to the second bedroom, and a door into the main suite.

Here I can't imagine the person(s) in the second bedroom wanting early breakfast and having it served in that room - now the other scenario of the people in the main suite dining early/late it makes sense.

Along the same note, we noticed on the 2bdrm suites on deck 11 show a separate cabin number for the second bedroom and the way the suite is laid out, they could be sold as a solo cabin :D

There are three card keyed doors in these suites - the main hallway access, the access to the second bedroom, and a door into the main suite.

Here I can't imagine the person(s) in the second bedroom wanting early breakfast and having it served in that room - now the other scenario of the people in the main suite dining early/late it makes sense.

You're right about the separate keyed doors, I forgot about that. One thing about the second bedroom, it is actually the biggest bedroom(not counting the closet or the bathroom, just the bedroom part) and has a dining table in it. Maybe people in that bedroom do use the table. We thought it was odd that it was in there, as it seemed so unnecessary, but who knows?

Edited by maja651