Staggered Check In - HELP

amberjeannette

So...People who defend strictly enforced staggered check-in say that it works great and the response is overwhelmingly positive...But when someone says that it didn't work great for them and is actually causing a big hassle, they get a bunch of responses criticizing them for their lack of personal responsibility and telling them they need to stop complaining? :confused:

Can we just acknowledge that Carnival's unique enforced check-in time is a negative for some guests who are forced into later times than they want? Telling OP they should have selected their time sooner would not actually eliminate this reality, because there are a limited number of early slots available -- if OP had gotten the early time, someone else would have been shut out. Unfortunately for the OP, the problem is magnified because of the late start to check-in on that cruise.

I won't call it defending it, but having experienced it for myself I can say that I think it's a good idea. No matter what, as with anything, there will be times when it doesn't work exactly as planned due to whatever reason. Stuff happens. If you don't want a later check in time then you know what to do. There are plenty of options. Should you not choose them, then that's on you.

So...People who defend strictly enforced staggered check-in say that it works great and the response is overwhelmingly positive...But when someone says that it didn't work great for them and is actually causing a big hassle, they get a bunch of responses criticizing them for their lack of personal responsibility and telling them they need to stop complaining? :confused:

Can we just acknowledge that Carnival's unique enforced check-in time is a negative for some guests who are forced into later times than they want? Telling OP they should have selected their time sooner would not actually eliminate this reality, because there are a limited number of early slots available -- if OP had gotten the early time, someone else would have been shut out. Unfortunately for the OP, the problem is magnified because of the late start to check-in on that cruise.

Whether it is unique or not has nothing to do with the discussion. The enforced comment is over the top.... You might have forgot to mention death camp marches in your post....really? Which rules are not enforced, and if so, they are not much of a rule are they? Compare the reality now to the mass chaos when everyone got there at 10 am and the answer is clear, it is a better system, it just is.

That said, I would love to see what times and HOW MANY get those 2 pm check in times..

Every Carnival cruise I have been on (and it's more than a few), they had general embarkation by 12:30 and we waited for some in our group till 1:15 and there was practically no one in the embarkation area. Why are there 2:30 times (I have not seen any, just going by some posts here), I cannot answer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The problem is someone has to be in the late slots, some prefer to be in them and some get stuck in them because they book last minute or they simply don't pay attention as in OPs case and don't select a spot in time to get a lower one.

All anyone is saying is follow the rules and don't expect to be the exception. You don't have to like the rules, you just have to abide by them. You know them (or you should, if you don't read them, that's on you) going in so either accept them or take your business else where. Seems like OP has decided since she can't be the exception to the rules she will take her business to another line which is definitely her choice.

Seems silly to me since she is Platinum after this cruise and will have priority boarding but if something this minor is all it takes for her to change lines I would say she was ready to change anyways. Nothing wrong with expanding your horizons and cruising other lines. No one should feel like they are trapped sailing one line anyways. Get out there and sail other lines, you may find one that love more or you find yourself right back where you started with a new appreciation for it. Just don't expect other lines to make exceptions for you either because they won't.

I don't know if this will apply to this particular cruise, but cruises with late sailings out of San Juan have open seating for dinner, as they know some folks will miss their assigned dining time. I hope that is true for this cruise as well.:)

I'd be very surprised, in a pleasant way, if they allowed that. They don't typically allow switching back and forth.

As virginab stated above, I was hoping that since this cruise has a late departure with late embarkation and probably a late muster drill, that either the MDR will be open dining for all or will be flexible for those who are late for traditional early due to the embarkation, muster drill, sailing time schedule.

Whether it is unique or not has nothing to do with the discussion. The enforced comment is over the top.... You might have forgot to mention death camp marches in your post....really? Which rules are not enforced, and if so, they are not much of a rule are they? Compare the reality now to the mass chaos when everyone got there at 10 am and the answer is clear, it is a better system, it just is.

That said, I would love to see what times and HOW MANY get those 2 pm check in times..

Every Carnival cruise I have been on (and it's more than a few), they had general embarkation by 12:30 and we waited for some in our group till 1:15 and there was practically no one in the embarkation area. Why are there 2:30 times (I have not seen any, just going by some posts here), I cannot answer.

I'm sorry that I mentioned that it was unique and strictly enforced. People have said that it's just like what Princess or NCL does, and that has frustrated me because those cruiselines only have recommended check-in times, just like Carnival used to. I believe it was an NCL spokesperson who was quoted in an article stating that they would not be "enforcing" check-in times because they thought that was a bad idea. It's odd that Carnival has a lot of rules that are not really enforced, but this one is when it causes bad feelings at the start of the cruise. I defend Carnival to various family and friends who have misperceptions about what Carnival is like, but I think this is a bad idea for a cruiseline that wants to attract newbies, last-minute cruisers, and families.

I have never seen mass chaos at any port. That feels like an exaggeration to me. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I'm sorry that I mentioned that it was unique and strictly enforced. People have said that it's just like what Princess or NCL does, and that has frustrated me because those cruiselines only have recommended check-in times, just like Carnival used to. I believe it was an NCL spokesperson who was quoted in an article stating that they would not be "enforcing" check-in times because they thought that was a bad idea. It's odd that Carnival has a lot of rules that are not really enforced, but this one is when it causes bad feelings at the start of the cruise. I defend Carnival to various family and friends who have misperceptions about what Carnival is like, but I think this is a bad idea for a cruiseline that wants to attract newbies, last-minute cruisers, and families.

I have never seen mass chaos at any port. That feels like an exaggeration to me. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Not to belabor the point, but last two times on the Breeze in Miami the embark area was completely full at 10:30. They overflowed into the plat/Dimond areas and then clogging aisles standing, waiting for embark which started at noon. Later heard they had people waiting in line outside the terminal. They started boarding at 11:45. Perfect example of how it improves the process. Have experienced similar in New York, Baltimore and PC.

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by jimbo5544

Been booked for Carnival Sunshine (out of Charleston) for over a year now. Cruise in November. Just checked in recently when I received an email. Normally I am in no rush to check in. When I did, I discovered this new (to me) staggered check in process. Check in starts at 3pm but the earliest available was 6:00-6:30pm. I have 2 young children and their bedtime is soon thereafter. I called into Carnival and explained my scenario. We are basically gonna lose a whole day, prob miss dinner, etc etc because of this late check in. They would not make an exception. I have cruised with Carnival many many times but this new "rule" is not sitting well with me under these particular circumstances. This will prob be our last time with Carnival. When did all this start? We are arriving in Charleston at 3pm as normally scheduled...so I'm gonna have to wait in the car/parking lot with 2 toddlers for 3 hours???!! I'm so NOT happy. Any advice? Thanks.

You have gotten some rude responses so I have a feeling you won't be back here, but just in case I have 2 suggestions for you.

First, just try calling Carnival again. A lot of times you will get a different person who is more sympathetic to your problem. Since it is important to you, maybe you can even try calling twice more just to see what happens.

My second suggestion is to reach out to people on your Roll Call here or on other social media sites. People with FTTF, Carnival Transfers, or Platinum and above still have to choose their check in times and a lot of them may have chosen an early time even though they can go whenever they want. So just ask them if they are willing to switch their time to one of the later times so you can switch to their time. You can even create a post here asking for help and maybe someone will be nice enough to change their time. I don't know exactly how that would work within Carnival's system, but it's worth a try.

Not to belabor the point, but last two times on the Breeze in Miami the embark area was completely full at 10:30. They overflowed into the plat/Dimond areas and then clogging aisles standing, waiting for embark which started at noon. Later heard they had people waiting in line outside the terminal. They started boarding at 11:45. Perfect example of how it improves the process. Have experienced similar in New York, Baltimore and PC.

Sent from my iPhone

I also had pretty close to that same experience numerous times in Miami and that's why I chose to arrive at the same time I usually do last week. It was the difference between night and day. I am a firm believer in staggered check in.

I also had pretty close to that same experience numerous times in Miami and that's why I chose to arrive at the same time I usually do last week. It was the difference between night and day. I am a firm believer in staggered check in.

Thanks, I honk she thought I was making it up. How was your cruise?

Sent from my iPhone

It sounds like you're intent on making this a miserable experience. If you're driving, you can arrive later than 3pm. As others have stated multiple times there are other things you can do in Charleston. There is a Children's Museum, and a pretty fantastic aquarium, along with the Magnolia Plantation. You don't have to torture yourself and your kids because you aren't getting your way.

Regardless of what time your kids' bedtime is (and I have a niece and two nephews, as well as my own daughter who all have/had strict bedtime routines) they would have to be kept up for the muster drill regardless. That should have been something you considered when booking since this is obviously a later than usual cruise.

But, I do know for a fact you will be exactly as miserable as you want yourself to be. That's a pretty awful way to start a vacation. You also don't deserve special treatment. If you don't want to pay for FTTF or buy a suite, don't complain that people aren't going to bend the rules just for you. That's ridiculous to assume anyone would do that.

Been booked for Carnival Sunshine (out of Charleston) for over a year now. Cruise in November. Just checked in recently when I received an email. Normally I am in no rush to check in. When I did, I discovered this new (to me) staggered check in process. Check in starts at 3pm but the earliest available was 6:00-6:30pm. I have 2 young children and their bedtime is soon thereafter. I called into Carnival and explained my scenario. We are basically gonna lose a whole day, prob miss dinner, etc etc because of this late check in. They would not make an exception. I have cruised with Carnival many many times but this new "rule" is not sitting well with me under these particular circumstances. This will prob be our last time with Carnival. When did all this start? We are arriving in Charleston at 3pm as normally scheduled...so I'm gonna have to wait in the car/parking lot with 2 toddlers for 3 hours???!! I'm so NOT happy. Any advice? Thanks.

We haven't cruised for four years so this staggered check in was new to me. However, it wasn't hard to find out the information, both at Carnivals web page and here at CC. We like to board as early as possible so I made sure to sign up immediately for the earliest time slot. I don't understand why you feel it's Carnivals fault, or surprised that early time slots are already taken, and no, I don't think they should make exceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Whle I"m not new to Carnvial the staggered check in into to me too. When, where and how do you sign up for a check in time? I cruise in 125 days. Have I missed the boat ;) already?

Thanks for any help.

It was great!!! I definitely want to do a Villa again in HMC. It was wonderful. You ready to book a cruise so we can share one? [emoji1]

Yup, have 3 in the books now and two going to HMC and have a two story already on hold for both. Jump right in.

Sent from my iPhone

Southwest Check in Opens for everyone at the same time; does not matter when you booked your ticket.

Also, everyone once onboard has the same accommodations. No one is being forced to miss a paid for meal based on their boarding. Everyone boards a plane within 20 minutes from start to end and there are no "services" before being in-flight.

I don't really think it is analogous.

I think it's analogous. No one wants a random middle seat and no one wants a late check in (I'd wager more people want a late check in than the bad seat), but someone has to get them. Yes, the check in window is much shorter for Southwest, but I think that'd be more inconvenient for Carnival customers in the case of cruise check in times, so I'm not sure your point there. It's still on the individual to check in earlier rather than later if they want the better options.

I don't think it necessarily gives everyone what they want, but neither did the old system. In the old system, the crap was spread around and everyone except FTTF and Priority boarding was inconvenienced. Now, if you get a good check in time, you really don't need Priority as much so people who are informed and prepared are likely to have better experiences and people who are not as prepared take the brunt of the crap. Either way, there is crap. It's just about how it's distributed.

I can see staggering to control the crowds but 6:00 is a bit ridiculous

I thought according to the OP it's only 6pm because they start boarding around 3pm (Edit: actually they start check-in then, so boarding is likely no earlier than 3:30-4:00 even for priority). It's a late boarding cruise, I suppose. If they are starting at 3pm, 6 doesn't seem that ridiculous (if they were starting at 11am or something, I'd agree).

Edited by berrieh