San Diego flight after cruise

titanic27

We are on the Westerdam in January, our original flight out was at 14:00. We got a flight change now it is at 11:15 am is this doable ?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would stay with the 14:00 flight. 11:15 is too close depending on the time it takes to clear customs after cruise and security lines at the San Diego airport.

A little reading on the board would reveal the many problems there have been with Customs and Immigration at San Diego. We have ended cruises in San Diego 4 times. Two times nobody got off before 9am. The other two were pretty standard.

That being said, if you are a US citizen, and can carry off your bags and catch a cab, I would be ok with the 11:15 flight. I see you are from Canada. This complicates things.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Last Saturday's disembarkation started at 8:12 am.

Yes.....I said 8:12.

This coming Saturday is scheduled for 8 am.

CBP has made a commitment to improve and it has worked so far.

The ship will be picking up the pilot at 6 for a 7 am tie up.

You should be fine with an 11 am flight.

David

I would stay with the 14:00 flight. 11:15 is too close depending on the time it takes to clear customs after cruise and security lines at the San Diego airport.

AA cancelled the 14:00 that we booked in march

from what I can see it's 11:15 or 18:00. :(

I know that 11 is fine....don't give it a second thought.

David

Not sure how you can guarantee it. I appreciate that they are making an effort to improve the process, but as all Immigration and Customs clearance is still done on the ship, a few sluggish people can still hang everything up... I would wait until we have solid evidence...multiple reports, not just one person, one disembarking, to confirm the situation has improved.

OP, you could spend the night and catch that 11:15 flight, or an earlier one, the next day.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I'm there every sailing....and have been for 12 years. Yes, there have been many problems in the past. We still have issues with cruises that continue on when in port. Those transcanal ones to and from Vancouver are problematical because guests do not read or listen to announcements that they must appear for CBP at the first US port. 7-night cruises to and from Mexico are not usually fraught with the same issue....nor do they have the same high number of European cruisers who have language issues.

David

We are on the Westerdam Dec 10 and were also concerned about flight time. We had a choice of 11:15 and 3PM. After posting here and asking the question, much discussion with my husband and careful consideration, I decided to book the 3PM. I would worry myself sick on the cruise about missing the flight. I know, they can always get us on another but I would still worry . We are OK with 3, it was actually changed to 2:45 by the airline. We will find stuff to in between and even if we have to hang at the airport, we are still OK with that.

• 1 month later...

Reporting back.. I wish I'd chosen the 11:15 flight, lol. Disembarkation was pretty smooth.

There were a couple of non US folks that had to be called but they were apparently prompt in responding.

We sat in the Pinnacle Bar and noticed all the folks that carried their own bags off. THEY are let out first so if you are concerned with your flight, that is one way to shave off some time. There are shared shuttels and taxis located right outside..you will be directed.

We were at the airport before 9AM and paid the $100.00 to switch to the 11:15 flight.

Reporting back.. I wish I'd chosen the 11:15 flight, lol. Disembarkation was pretty smooth.

There were a couple of non US folks that had to be called but they were apparently prompt in responding.

We sat in the Pinnacle Bar and noticed all the folks that carried their own bags off. THEY are let out first so if you are concerned with your flight, that is one way to shave off some time. There are shared shuttels and taxis located right outside..you will be directed.

We were at the airport before 9AM and paid the $100.00 to switch to the 11:15 flight.

Thank you for letting us know. Can non US do selfdebarkation?

I know that 11 is fine....don't give it a second thought.

David

Absurd overconfidence, but I suppose understandable when it is someone else who would have to cope with missing the flight.

Of course it is most likely that pax can be off ship by 8:30, and SHOULD have no problem, but what compensation are you offering if something goes wrong?

Thank you for letting us know. Can non US do selfdebarkation?

Any passenger can do self disembark. As long as you can handle your own luggage. Have it for years in the US , we are Canadian. Also called wolf off by some cruise lines.

Edited by Kamloops50

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We'll be disembarking HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam on October 5. Our flight choices are 11:19 or 2:15. I know times can change during the next 7 months. We're going to take our chances and book the 11:19. Slight concern that two ships will be in port that day (us & Disney Wonder)

Hope people here continue to report their experiences.