MITSUGIRLYS EPIC CRUISE--2nd time around-1st from Port Canaveral

mitsugirly

I really enjoy reading your reviews. They always offer very insightful and practical views/advice, gorgeous photos...and I hope I can repay the favour. (I haven't read this whole review yet, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned.)

Re: your dtr's ear pain

My friend had some ear issues on our last flight and got this advice from a helpful stewardess. It's called "hot cups" Basically, hot paper towels are inserted into styrofoam cups. On descent, hold the cups tightly against both ears. Looks funny, but it worked! Worth a try if you haven't already.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the reply and glad you are enjoying the review.

I'm always up to trying something new regarding her ears. Someone else just mentioned (instead of chewing gum) to try sour gummies...which sounds logical to me and we're going to try that as well.

I have to ask though...when you are on the plane and getting ready to descend, how exactly can you get hot paper towels? The times I've been on planes, the water in the bathroom never gets hot enough to wash your hands and definitely not hot for paper towels. The other problem would be knowing when we are about to descend because you really never know until they come on the loud speaker and tell everyone not to get out of their chairs and the "light" comes on. So just wondering. I'm willing to try whatever, just gotta figure out how. :)

My friend just asked the stewardess to bring these items to her as the plane was starting to descend and they did. She kept a copy of the "instructions" to show them as some were not familiar with this technique. Here is a website for more info but it is easily searched as well. They may be reluctant to provide this for a child vs an adult and policies may vary from airline to airline as well.

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2006/06/04/airplane-ears-m/

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by cdncruzer

So yes, I still love the Epic, but I would probably be lying to myself if I said that I didn't like the Carnival Breeze more. Just saying...:D

So Kim, I just went a reread your Breeze review. Between the clanging pots that woke you every morning, the food which was never available when you wanted it, the smaller ropes course etc. What, exactly did you love about it?:confused:

Robert

So Kim, I just went a reread your Breeze review. Between the clanging pots that woke you every morning, the food which was never available when you wanted it, the smaller ropes course etc. What, exactly did you love about it?:confused:

Robert

I don't know. There's really not just one thing to narrow it down. I loved the decor and the ship itself. It's the "fun" ship and we had fun. I liked the layout. I just enjoyed it a lot...including the smaller ropes course and water slides and everything. I think it was just the feel of it. We just had a bad location with the pots clanging. It's happened on other ships with noises, but it never really makes me think...I don't like that ship because of the banging pots or sounds. I rate the ship for the ship and not really what happens on it...if that makes any sense. I mean if I rated what actually happens on the the cruise, then I would probably hate the Epic for it being so crowded, hard to get into shows because they have to be booked, not getting our other free dinner and wine because we are platinum status and they were completely booked up. I could go on...but I didn't take those types of things into consideration. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely loved your review! Great pictures and lots of information. Just the way I like them :) I have read several of your reviews and really appreciate all the details you include. We recently booked our first NCL cruise for early 2019 on the Gem out of NOLA. I hope you cruise her before then and do a review :)

I absolutely loved your review! Great pictures and lots of information. Just the way I like them :) I have read several of your reviews and really appreciate all the details you include. We recently booked our first NCL cruise for early 2019 on the Gem out of NOLA. I hope you cruise her before then and do a review :)

Thank you so much for you comments. Glad you enjoy the reviews. I have a lot of fun with them.

The Gem is the last older NCL ship that I haven't had a chance to sail yet. I absolutely LOVE NOLA and would love to go back there again. If you don't cruise it until 2019, I'm pretty sure there's a good chance that I will be on it before then. :D

I so love reading these reviews. Makes me want to be constantly cruising. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate it. :)

Thanks Kim for such an amazing review!! I got hooked on your blog of San Juan and found this one. I enjoyed reading your adventures and pictures you took. You do such a great job. Great memory to remember all those details from your trip. I felt I was right there with you or watching it on YouTube. My family and I are going on our first cruise in September on Carnival. Honestly, I'm a little nervous but after reading your travels it has helped me a lot on what and what not expect and just have fun. Thank You again and I'll be looking forward to reading more of your travel adventures. Oh and you are so hilarious! I love your humor and candidness. Take Care and Happy travels!

we will be headed for the EPIC for the EBTA in a couple of weeks

Robin

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks Kim for such an amazing review!! I got hooked on your blog of San Juan and found this one. I enjoyed reading your adventures and pictures you took. You do such a great job. Great memory to remember all those details from your trip. I felt I was right there with you or watching it on YouTube. My family and I are going on our first cruise in September on Carnival. Honestly, I'm a little nervous but after reading your travels it has helped me a lot on what and what not expect and just have fun. Thank You again and I'll be looking forward to reading more of your travel adventures. Oh and you are so hilarious! I love your humor and candidness. Take Care and Happy travels!

Aww, thanks so much for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the review. Don't be nervous...just go with the flow and have a terrific time. Which ship are you going on?

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Aww, thanks so much for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the review. Don't be nervous...just go with the flow and have a terrific time. Which ship are you going on?

We will going on the Miracle. I've read some pretty good reviews on cc. I'm trying to stay away from reading to much into the ship so I can be surprised.(yn) :ship:

We will going on the Miracle. I've read some pretty good reviews on cc. I'm trying to stay away from reading to much into the ship so I can be surprised.(yn) :ship:

I hope you have a wonderful time. I love reading reviews on the ship I'm going on prior to going. Sometimes you find neat little things that you might miss when you don't know about it. But that's just me. The thrill and excitement of finding things on your own is fun too. :D

Kim where did you get Sakari's swimsuit cover ups? The dresses. I love em!

Thank you for another great review!! :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I don't really remember where I got the green lace dress cover up. The main places I shop for her would be Justice, Old Navy...or could have just been a small boutique at the mall. I recently found her a "mermaid" dress cover up at Justice. She got that for Christmas and will get to wear it on the next cruise. :D

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much for your detailed review of the Epic & ports, I thoroughly enjoyed it! (2 thumbs WAY up!!) We have the same itinerary, but hopefully making it to Great Stirrup Cay since we have never been. We have never been on Epic, or Norwegian for that matter, this will be our first with this cruise line. I LOVE crepes! Just wondering if the crepe station is open for breakfast & is it open all day perhaps?? :D Your scuba pictures were fantastic!! You mentioned you have been to Sapphire beach as well, how does the snorkeling compare at Sapphire vs. Coki beach as far as coral & fish?

Thank you so much for your detailed review of the Epic & ports, I thoroughly enjoyed it! (2 thumbs WAY up!!) We have the same itinerary, but hopefully making it to Great Stirrup Cay since we have never been. We have never been on Epic, or Norwegian for that matter, this will be our first with this cruise line. I LOVE crepes! Just wondering if the crepe station is open for breakfast & is it open all day perhaps?? :D Your scuba pictures were fantastic!! You mentioned you have been to Sapphire beach as well, how does the snorkeling compare at Sapphire vs. Coki beach as far as coral & fish?

Aww, thanks so much for the compliments. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Congrats on your first on NCL

The crepes station is only open during certain hours I believe...more toward the evening "dinner" buffet times.

The are both great snorkeling but I personally felt like there was more of a variety at Coki with the colors of the coral and even things...such as animals (eels and so on). Of course, things change daily so you just never know what you're gonna get at any given place...just know there's a lot at both. :D

• 4 months later...
I am officially back from my Epic cruise and trying to get settled back in and started on this review.

I'll get the "details" about me out of the way for those that do not know me yet...(copied and pasted from previous reviews WITH updates regarding this cruise status).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A little about me and the family. We "try" to cruise often (3x a year...but this year we squeezed in a 4th cruise) and my little family consist of me, the hubby and our now 8 year old daughter, Sakari. (Pronounced just as it's spelled SA-KAR-I) for all of our cruises.

I have 4 "kids" (LOL) ages 30, 28, 22 and 8. All the adult children have children of their own. Most of the time my oldest daughter (Kendra-28 year old) and her family cruises with us, which makes for an interesting cruise. :eek: My youngest son (Kolin-22 year old) and his fiance, Courtney, tries to go at least once a year with us. My oldest son (Kenny-30 year old) went for the first time with us last year to Bermuda (and once when he was 13 years old) and decided cruising just might not be his cup of tea. This time, we would have 3 of the "kids" cruising with us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MY CRUISING EXPERIENCE:

My very first cruise was in 1989 on NCL Seaward. I loved it back then and said "Hey, I think I need to do this every year"....only to never cruise again until 1998 on Royal Caribbean, which we took the 3 oldest kids (then ages 13, 11, and 4). Then we didn't start cruising again until 2010...ON THE EPIC.

As you can tell from my signature line, we mainly cruise with NCL and my goal has been to do the entire fleet....I'm almost there with the Gem left to go of the older ships and the Escape for the newer ships. (Other than the POA, which I have a tendency to forget it's in the fleet all the way over there in Hawaii).

I have adventured out and tried Carnival four times now and absolutely loved the ships we have been on with them so far.

I to try NEVER cruise on the same ship twice. I would rather experience a different ship each time. HOWEVER, this will make our second cruise on the EPIC and ONLY because it was the only ship that Sakari (our youngest) has never been on...and she has not let us live it down. She has talked about the Epic for years and every time we are in port beside the Epic, I got that "look" from her and made me feel 5" tall for leaving her at home that cruise. So...we made an exception and cruised her for a second time. I feel like I'm off the hook now. :D

ALSO, this would be the first cruise back in the US after the Epic has been gone for awhile AND this would be my hubbys birthday as well. So, it was a no-brainer...we would sail her again.

NCL EPIC would be the very first cruise for my hubby and I when we sailed on her when she first came out in 2010. I have always said that she was my favorite ship to date. I never really knew why I felt that way, but stood my ground with her being my favorite. Was it that it was my very first cruise with the hubby? Was it that I hadn't sailed in so long that it just simply amazed me at the changes in the cruising industry and ships? Was it that we didn't take any children with us? Was it that we had an AMAZING roll call that I got to know many months prior to cruising and have remained friends with A LOT of them and still cruise with some? I'm really not sure.....BUT I WAS ABOUT TO FIND OUT....would the Epic still keep her number 1 spot on my list of my "favorite ship"? Or would she fall short of my expectations and I would discover that there were a lot more factors that made her (or the cruise itself) my favorite? YOU ARE ABOUT TO FIND OUT! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CAMERAS:

Another thing I get asked a lot is "what type of camera do you use?" Well, I'll get that question answered right now before we begin. I have 2 cameras. They are both Olympus Tough point and shoot cameras. The models I have (which there are TONS of them out there and always being updated) are 620 & 830 (see update below). I feel they take excellent pictures. I used to carry my DSLR with me, but I felt that it hindered my fun a little. There's just too much equipment to carry with me. It's heavy. It's bulky. I found a camera that does a good enough job for me and that's all I use now. I find that I can enjoy my cruise more. Are the pictures always perfect? Nope...I do a lot of walking and snapping...sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and get blurry. It is what it is.

Update...1 week prior to leaving for our cruise and charging batteries and preparing my camera "stuff" to pack, my 830 camera decided that it didn't want to turn on again. I panicked. Although I still had my 620, I always have to have a back-up. I started researching for another camera. I really love the Olympus and decided I would stick with it, but new that there were much newer cameras out there.

After researching, I decided I just HAD to have the Olympus Tough Stylus TG-4. After reading some of the things that it did, the reviews, and doing a ton of research looking at pictures taken with it, along with video, I knew that was what I had to have! Now let the search begin to find one. I would discover the next day that this camera actually came out last year and they were extremely hard to find in stores...well, actually all the stores located in my area (including the camera shops) no longer carried them or they were on back order. GASP! I did manage to order one online from a local store and they had it shipped and ready for pick up for me the next day. SCORE!

NOW>>>>>> the big PLUS of this camera is that you have the option to buy lens to put on it!!!!!!!! WOW! I immediately started searching for a wide angle lens and found that you just couldn't find them anywhere. I did manage to find a fish eye lens on amazon and did the 2 day Prime shipping and it arrived the day before we were to leave on vacation. WOO HOO!

Ok, so some of the new things that I found this camera does (and there's probably more, but I haven't had enough time to explore the options)....

*Adding different lens

*You can also do TIME LAPSE!!!!!!!!! YES! I wanted to try this out for so long

*I believe there's an added underwater option now too and they also decided to give the underwater option its own button, which makes it easier to just flip to that instead of scrolling the entire "program" mode to find it.

*There's also a new microscope button and man it's pretty awesome with the close ups and bokah.

I'm sure there's a lot more, but I really can't think of it at the moment...I just know the above made my decision to get this camera.

MY THOUGHTS:

I do my reviews as honest as I can and I know everyone has a different expectation during a cruise and will have a different experience, even when on the same cruise.

We are a fun loving and goofy family that loves to have a good time. We make the best of everything even if it's a bad situation. Anyone who follows my reviews knows the "crap" I've dealt with on cruises from breaking my hand in St Maarten, breaking my toe on the Getaway, missing our flight due to my "dear daughter" :rolleyes: Kendra...who is the most non-punctual person you will ever meet, to anything else that is thrown at us. We make light of the situation and we roll with it! This doesn't necessarily mean that I don't get upset at times or not like the way something is going. If it pisses me off, I'm going to tell you about it. But, I'll get over it and it won't spoil my fun!

We crack a lot of jokes (and I have a quirky sense of humor...my kids and hubby do as well) and love adventure and trying new things. My youngest (Sakari) is an animal lover and if there's anything involving animals, we have to do it. We have done swims with the stingrays, dolphins, manatees, sharks and held so many things in the sea (yes, even those we didn't know better and paid the price for it). She LOVES to draw. She's actually really good at it too. Sakari would rather sit around drawing (mostly animals) than playing with toys. I include many of her "masterpieces" in my reviews because that's what she does in her "off" time on the ship. She has actually been tested by her school and qualified as "gifted" in her drawings/art. Sakari has been cruising since she was 3 years old (this will make her 15th cruise...you're welcome daughter for us making you Platinum before you're 18) and she just thinks it's a way of life. She is a DAREDEVIL!!! She will do anything we do and doesn't think twice about it. She zip lined in the jungle, by herself at the age of 3, cave tubing, held tarantulas, jumped off 2 story decks into the ocean, went on the biggest waterslides on the ships (and yes, even the ones that you stand in and the floor drops out from under you)...the list goes on. There's nothing she won't do. She's like having an extra adult with us...other than the fact that her age and height sometimes restricts her from certain things...otherwise she would do it. We LOVE LOVE LOVE the beach. So if I can find a beach or snorkeling...that's where we'll be. If you ask me some "touristy tour seeing the history" type of thing, forgetaboutit...because that's not me.

I tell my story through my eyes and my take on things. Everyone may not agree or have the same opinion, and that's ok, but I'm honest with the way "I" see things. I'm a planner. I do EXTENSIVE research prior to any cruise. I read reviews, I look on the web, I take notes, copy maps, save websites, make spread sheets and everything has to be perfectly planned. That's just me. The family just "rolls with it". I crack up because I feel like a mother duckling and they follow...in a line and (seriously) if I turn one way, they do too, if I quickly turn back, they do too. Sometimes I start weaving back and forth in a "S" shape just to throw them off...then they'll catch on to what I'm doing and laugh. It's all a game and I have fun with it. (See what I mean? That's my quirkiness coming out). Don't worry, the hubby is the same and he pays me back. He's my personal GPS and he likes to throw me off too as a payback. ;)

WHY I DO IT:

With that being said, these reviews are meant to be helpful to others, show you around the ship, places we go and give you some ideas. I feel that a picture is worth 1,000 words, which is why you'll find my reviews very picture heavy. I'm a site person and I know it really helps me to put a picture to something someone is trying to explain. By no means do I ever try to influence you one way or the other to do the things we like to do, but merely give suggestions based on MY experiences. I try to help out others on this board the way they have helped me so many times in the past and I am so grateful for that. I feel this board is a wealth of information and I try to give back as often as I can. I don't like drama and I try to stay neutral. Life is too precious to be negative and dwell on things. So if I have a negative experience, I will report it, but I try not to dwell on it and like always...in time it will fade into just another memory that sometimes you can laugh at. It's life. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A lot of people also ask me how I organize my reviews. There's A LOT to it and my organization skills are probably a little OCD, but it works for me. If you want to read how I organize everything to prepare for my reviews, you can find it HERE. If you give it a minute to load, that link should drop you off right at the beginning of my explanation (with pictures of course) of how I do things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok....on to the review!!!

Hi Kim - I couldn't find the post where you wrote about the snorkeling mask with camera that you have, but I remembered you mentioned where someone could purchase one. I just bought it (so excited to use it - only nineteen more days!), and was wondering if you have any tips for using it? Do you let it continually snap pictures or do you find it easier to snap as you go? Is it easy to switch from camera to video or do you need to take it off to see what mode you are in? Thank you so much for all of your help! Again!

Hi Kim - I couldn't find the post where you wrote about the snorkeling mask with camera that you have, but I remembered you mentioned where someone could purchase one. I just bought it (so excited to use it - only nineteen more days!), and was wondering if you have any tips for using it? Do you let it continually snap pictures or do you find it easier to snap as you go? Is it easy to switch from camera to video or do you need to take it off to see what mode you are in? Thank you so much for all of your help! Again!

Actually I don't think I have ever wrote about it. Hmm. :confused: I'm not sure why.

My son-in-law (Kendra's fiance) bought it for me a couple of years ago for Christmas. I believe he got it at Brookstone.

I honestly don't have any tips because I don't use it as much d/t it using regular batteries instead of being able to recharge it in the camera. I carry this little paper that just tells me the "colors" it turns for what setting. I get confused a lot when I have it on with the colors and usually end up taking pictures when I'm trying to do a video and vice versa. LOL

You are supposed to be able to see the colors change when pushing the button (while having the mask on), but I usually take mine off just to see.

The issues I have with it (and why I don't use it as much) is that I can't get the straps to "lock in" and stay tight on my head. They are constantly coming undone and they won't lock at all. So, I haven't been using it as much.

I'm all fumble fingers when it comes to using this device, but it does take decent pictures. I should probably work on seeing about getting the straps to work right and practice with it a little before my upcoming cruise. LOL ;p

Actually I don't think I have ever wrote about it. Hmm. :confused: I'm not sure why.

My son-in-law (Kendra's fiance) bought it for me a couple of years ago for Christmas. I believe he got it at Brookstone.

I honestly don't have any tips because I don't use it as much d/t it using regular batteries instead of being able to recharge it in the camera. I carry this little paper that just tells me the "colors" it turns for what setting. I get confused a lot when I have it on with the colors and usually end up taking pictures when I'm trying to do a video and vice versa. LOL

You are supposed to be able to see the colors change when pushing the button (while having the mask on), but I usually take mine off just to see.

The issues I have with it (and why I don't use it as much) is that I can't get the straps to "lock in" and stay tight on my head. They are constantly coming undone and they won't lock at all. So, I haven't been using it as much.

I'm all fumble fingers when it comes to using this device, but it does take decent pictures. I should probably work on seeing about getting the straps to work right and practice with it a little before my upcoming cruise. LOL ;p

Thanks for the response back Kim! I appreciate it. I thought it was you?? Anyway, after I ordered it, I read a bunch of negative reviews on it (with the same issues you had - not fitting properly and having difficulty changing the modes, the pictures "fading" along the edges). I cancelled my order and got a Nikon instead! :) I hope I made the right decision!