"Free" drinks package - do we now have to pay 18% service charge?

wales4ever

Well, our FREE 10 Day NORWEGIAN Cruise Lines DRINK PKG PROMOTION actually cost us $314.50 --- a lot more than we would have spent on a glass of wine at each dinner! Surprise, surprise... and THERE IS NO WAY OUT OF THE "DEAL" ONCE YOU'RE ON BOARD. Why did we fall for this obvious and we think "sleazy scheme" money maker for Norwegian? We thought the mandatory gratuity of 18% (plus sales tax if you are near a port) was for drinks we actually consumed. Not true... the tax is against the full value of the package... in our case some, some $1700. WHO drinks that much anyway! ... Still annoyed that Norwegian did not give us any leeway.:evilsmile:

Well, our FREE 10 Day NORWEGIAN Cruise Lines DRINK PKG PROMOTION actually cost us $314.50 --- a lot more than we would have spent on a glass of wine at each dinner! Surprise, surprise... and THERE IS NO WAY OUT OF THE "DEAL" ONCE YOU'RE ON BOARD. Why did we fall for this obvious and we think "sleazy scheme" money maker for Norwegian? We thought the mandatory gratuity of 18% (plus sales tax if you are near a port) was for drinks we actually consumed. Not true... the tax is against the full value of the package... in our case some, some $1700. WHO drinks that much anyway! ... Still annoyed that Norwegian did not give us any leeway.:evilsmile:
The charge was on your original confirmation and at that time you could have cancelled it, if you didn't want to pay the gratuity. Edited by NLH Arizona

Well, our FREE 10 Day NORWEGIAN Cruise Lines DRINK PKG PROMOTION actually cost us $314.50 --- a lot more than we would have spent on a glass of wine at each dinner! Surprise, surprise... and THERE IS NO WAY OUT OF THE "DEAL" ONCE YOU'RE ON BOARD. ... Still annoyed that Norwegian did not give us any leeway.:evilsmile:

You had the option when booking to not take the UBP and not pay the 18% on the package.

Some suggestions are that the gratuities are actual revenue source for NCL and not given to staff, same goes for the DSC - from what I have read on various threads this appears true as staff have suggested their actual take home pay does not change. Well an idea is too claw the gratuity back - this is just source income to NCL by removing sufficient DSC from your account to claw back the gratuity, companies should pay staff as expenses from income not by relying on gratuities.

I await the shooting from you all NCL protectors !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you ever think of reading the terms and conditions or the invoice? You probably are not going to find sympathy here.

We thought the mandatory gratuity of 18% (plus sales tax if you are near a port) was for drinks we actually consumed. Not true... the tax is against the full value of the package... in our case some, some $1700.

NCL make it very clear what the terms and conditions are. bf65fbe8f9710089bf54e775fcc9c2c2.jpga1cee6f9c655fa6f39e01ae2f2f44bfb.jpge5ae8e114d4dec27fdc7a4c2f77b3469.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

The tax on the UBP perk is nothing compared to what my bar bill would be without the package.....I am not sure I could afford to get off the ship...

If you drink less than a drink or three a day, just choose another perk...

I have to assume this is part of the free at sea promo. I know a year ago you could change your choice up to sail day. Keep in mind all ppl in the same cabin have to either have it or not.
What confuses me is that the poster wanted to change it onboard and that is after they already paid the amount. I beginning to think they just didn't want to pay the gratuity.

You had the option when booking to not take the UBP and not pay the 18% on the package.

Yes, true... i challenge anyone to find the FINE PRINT where its explained clearly. I got on board, based on my reading of the fine print thinking the 18% gratuity (I mistakenly said tax, above in one place - sorry -) was on the actual consumption.:(

Some suggestions are that the gratuities are actual revenue source for NCL and not given to staff, same goes for the DSC - from what I have read on various threads this appears true as staff have suggested their actual take home pay does not change. Well an idea is too claw the gratuity back - this is just source income to NCL by removing sufficient DSC from your account to claw back the gratuity, companies should pay staff as expenses from income not by relying on gratuities.

YES, its income to NCL per the customer service people I talked to when I was charged the 18% on the FREE drink package that I was sure I wasn't going to make sufficient use of to cover the $314.50 gratuity I was charged.

Did you ever think of reading the terms and conditions or the invoice? You probably are not going to find sympathy here.

I did read the fine print. You must be better in English than I will ever be. Could the print be confused to suggest the gratuity is on actual drinks purchased? I did.

I can tell you as FACT first hand that you are correct. The the room stewards get a small percentage and wait staff, they get a small percentage as well. None of it tracks back to actual transactions from consumers. It’s an imaginary number. If you want to make sure the people that serve you are directly compensated, please- reduce or eliminate your on board gratuity and tip your staff directly. Unfortunately, the “service charge” that NCL takes you can’t control so that’s a shame for the staff. So cue the CC know it all morons that will now attempt to tell you I’m wrong.

And yes the “service charge” just went up again. We get our moneys worth, and actually come out ahead (done this 7 Times now), but many folks who don’t consume as much alcohol as we do, probably would benefit from another one of the perks like dining or internet, etc.

Here’s my beef. We as repeat full paying Haven guests receive all the offers, however up to this year there were no service fees for UBP or SDP. Now this year we’re paying that too. Royal is now also requiring all guests over 18 in a stateroom with someone who purchases a UDP to also purchase the package, which also has a service charge. That is a big nut for a 10 day cruise for a spouse and/or child of legal age who has no need for it.

I have a feeling the profit margins on UBP for the cruise lines aren’t what they forecasted.

And cue the CC haters know it alls....... [emoji849][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did read the fine print. You must be better in English than I will ever be. Could the print be confused to suggest the gratuity is on actual drinks purchased? I did.

Unfortunately you missed the line in your booking invoice called

Bev Srvc Charge for $314.50. The daily UBP recently went up $10/day raising the gratuity charge. There is speculation these gratuities don't go back to the crew...that disturbs me more than anything. I don't know what a fair payout is under these policies.

Don't forget the 18% gratuity that sneaks up at the end of the trip. Although you can pay them upfront also.

Yes, true... i challenge anyone to find the FINE PRINT where its explained clearly. I got on board, based on my reading of the fine print thinking the 18% gratuity (I mistakenly said tax, above in one place - sorry -) was on the actual consumption.:(
The 18% is on the invoice when you book your cruise and choose the UBP as a perk and paid when you pay your final payment, didn't you notice that it was there?

We disembarked the Jewel at the start of this month. Booked in the UK and had the drinks package as a Free At Sea promotion which included service charge for the drinks but we still had to pay the normal daily gratuities. The only payment we made on board in respect of drinks was the Sales Tax on embarkation day whilst we were still in Washington waters.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

The 18% is on the invoice when you book your cruise and choose the UBP as a perk and paid when you pay your final payment, didn't you notice that it was there?

First thought it was for staff service charge, not UBP. In fact, we have in our hands TWO (yes, 2) differing invoices for same cruise... one has staff service tip ($270 or so) which I DID NOT PAY BEFORE boarding, and the other has the $314.50. Yeah, maybe I should have questioned everything when I randomly chose to go to "My Cruise" online during the year that I had the reservation. Live and learn.

First thought it was for staff service charge, not UBP. In fact, we have in our hands TWO (yes, 2) differing invoices for same cruise... one has staff service tip ($270 or so) which I DID NOT PAY BEFORE boarding, and the other has the $314.50. Yeah, maybe I should have questioned everything when I randomly chose to go to "My Cruise" online during the year that I had the reservation. Live and learn.
Yes, they are two different things, but I believe the confirmation clearly states just the UBP gratuity and you have to go into your MyNCL to pre-pay the DSC. Sorry for your confusion, but at least if you ever cruise NCL again, you will know not to choose the UBP as your perk and just pay as you go. I will say, it is not NCL's fault that you didn't read/question your confirmation. Edited by NLH Arizona

Nope, it clearly states what you are paying for with the beverage plan...

Ultimate Beverage Package:

Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation.

Guest must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to qualify for the Ultimate Beverage Package. Guests under 21 will receive the soda package.

Variety of spirits and cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to $15 USD. Includes fountain soda and juice, and non-alcoholic beer.

A 20% discount will be given on bottles of wine (champagne and sparkling included) purchased on board.

Offer is not applicable at Harvest Caye bars, restaurants, or venues.

Does not include Ice Bars, room service, package sales, bottled water, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated super premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, fresh squeezed juices, Lavazza coffee beverages, wine dispenser, energy drinks or vending machines.

Guest who receive the Soda Package may obtain fountain soda at any bar, lounge or restaurant throughout the duration of the cruise, excluding Harvest Caye bars, restaurants, or venues. Guest's check may reflect applicable VAT and/or taxes for certain ports or itineraries.

Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package ($16.02 USD per person per day) and/or Soda Package ($1.35 USD per person per day) prior to cruise.